Ghetto Grow - Beginner - Assistance would be amazing!

Hey Growmies!

I’ve been lurking on this forum a fair amount and decided it was time to move into the active user’s list and start my own grow.

Let’s get the pasta out the way first:

-What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed (photo or auto) 1. Sweet Rebel Auto, 2. Northern Lights Auto, 3. Cookies and Cream Auto, 4. Wedding Cake Auto, 5 & 6. Divine OG Kush Photo, 7. CDB Haze Photo, 8. Durban Posion Photo. All from a seed bank.

-Age of plant Between 2-3 weeks.

-Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF C.Peat 70%, Perlite 20%, Vermiculite 9%, fertilizer 1%.

-Vessels: Type and capacity of container (fabric, plastic, etc) Fabric - 11 litre.

-PH and TDS of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable) Water Ph 5.8-6.2. Runoff testing is inaccurate.

-PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable No idea :frowning: I’m using a TriPart pack of Terra Aquatica, FloraGro FloraBloom, and FloraMicro.

-Method used to measure PH and TDS Soil PH meter, generic.

-Indoor or Outdoor if indoor, size of grow space Indoor, 2mx2mx2m.

-Light system List brand and wattage/spectrum InDorSun Comet, 120W x2. LED with far red.

-Actual wattage draw of lights 120W x2?

-Current Light Schedule 18/6

-Temps; Day, Night avg 18 Celcius -day and 12 Celcius at night

-Humidity; Day, Night Pretty constant around 65-70%

-Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size Yes, 6-inch in-line fan, with carbon filter. (not in use)

-AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, No: just a fan.

-Co2; Yes, No No

Now for a little background:
I’m already about 2 or 3 weeks in now. The seeds were germinated around the 10th of Aug. (4 were germinated a week later) and I’ve already had some problems. Let’s go one by one:

Sweet Rebel:

What on earth is going on here? I know it looks like I topped her or something similar, but honestly, this is just the way she grew. Should I take any action here? Being my first grow, I’ve never encountered this and assumed growth from the sides would only kick in later. Also, the alignment/angle of the top leaves looks pretty wack. Is it to be expected?

Durban Poison:

Nothing crazy to report here. Plant seems good. I did mess up the PH a bit in the beginning, but I don’t think this plant was one of the ones affected.

Northern Lights:

Okay, so this one freaked me out. It was the first to pop out in germination and is still currently my biggest plant (around 10-15cm). During the early stages though, the first true leaves did some weird curling. Would this happen if I messed up the PH in the first week. (I gave around 5.2ph water, as my tester hadn’t arrived and I thought tap water would be okay.) Have I lost a lot of veg time now? Input would be greatly appreciated!

OG Kush 1:

I think everything is cool here. Just a quick side note, this was planted 6 days after OG Kush 2. (I know it’s confusing. The naming convention go messed up at some point and I don’t want the twins to get even more confused now)

OG Kush 2:

Okay, so I had a fly strip stuck to one of my lights, which came loose in the night. In the morning, I found OGK2 squshed underneath. Of course, the sticky side was down. I got most of it off, but as you can see the one leaf did get ripped. Actually been a good lesson though, as this small amount of stress has caused OGK1 to overtake it by quite a margin. Lesson learnt, stress early will hurt later.

Cookies and Cream:

Nothing to report here. Let’s hope you all agree?

Wedding Cake:

Growing well, overtaking some of the earlier germinated ones.

CDB Haze:

Alright, so this one has been touch and go since day 1. So 3 days after moving to the big container, it still wasn’t popping up. I went digging for it and found it had cracked, but couldn’t push the shell off. I removed it by hand and tried to replant it. I’ll be honest, I kinda panicked and overwatered it, because the next day things seemed soggy. Long story short, the pilot leaves (no idea the name) opened up, but I could see the true leaves had turned to mush. (Apologies for the out-of-focus picture.) Any comments on what I can do to increase her quality of life would be appreciated. More nutrients to supplement the lack of leaves? Remove the pilot/starter leaves? Leave her be?

The tent:
I bought PVC pipes and a couple of rolls of duct tape. I tried version 1 with mylar space blankets, which was terrible because it made a lot noise with a fan and also couldn’t be pulled tight without ripping or coming loose.

Version 2 was made with some leftover roofing mylar(?) which I had lying around, on the same PVC frame. I’m basically just wondering how much reflectivity (and the room itself) actually matter? Should I just use the lights in the actual room itself, which is painted white and twice the size of the tent? Also, if I’m on 18/6 light cycle, light leak won’t matter, as the lights will be off from 12am-4am.

Lastly: Green Perlite? Should I be worried, should I cover it with tin foil as some have suggested? To be perfectly honest, I kinda like the mossy look it gives, but it’s going to damage the plants or roots, I’d obviously want to do something about it.

I have a lot more questions and comments to make, but I think this is more than enough to get things started. Thank you for taking the time to read this if you’ve made it this far!

I’ll be updating this regularly, please feel free to comment or advise!
Thanks Stealy <3

2 Likes

Oh also, do you guys have music going for your plants? I haven’t seen anyone really talking about that on here, so I’m guessing the benefits are negligible.

P.S. If you’re wondering about the bag in the middle in the last picture. It was a bunch of outdoor seeds that I was practising germinating with. I also thought I’d try a mix of 90% perlite and see what happens. I’ve now removed them as the test is done and them dying was probably putting some negative energy in the tent, haha.

Thanks in advance for any comments or criticism :slight_smile:

1 Like

They all look alright. Let the. Mutant grow, will probably surprise you. Your lights can flower about a 1mx1m though. If the efficacy is there on the diodes. Gonna look into them momentarily. But 240w in top bin 301h does a 2’x4’ or 3’x3’ (1mx1m) well. So to flower your entire area you’d probably want 4-5 if those.

3 Likes

@Budz Thanks for your input! By mutant do you mean the CDB Haze or the Sweet Rebel? They both seem like candidates, lol. Here are a couple more pics. The CBD is already looking slightly better this morning! Rebel is still wonky.

I checked and I gave the incorrect info for the lights, sorry! After double-checking, I see they are 110w.
Here is a little more info, hopefully, it helps, and thanks again for the advice!

4 Likes

Rebel Rebel there is freaky
Almost looks like greens from a froofy salad

Both my grows started out really weird and they took longer than normal to finally look normal but now they look like this…

My point being they will grow out of it for the most part

4 Likes

Yeah I looked up the light already. Doesnt actually list umol anywhere. The reds are epistar. As far as I can tell it’s basically the same as spider farmer/king Brite type brands. I’d say two them could do a 2’x4’ fine. But I’d want a third to flower a 3x3. 5 for a 6x6. Which 2mx2m is more than 6x6 technically.

2 Likes

Oh yeah btw for a ghetto set up it looks :+1:

3 Likes

Shot for the encouragement @Mr_Wormwood. Yea, it definitely looks like a tomato or something. Haha, I’ll keep posting updates of its progress, thanks for your interest!

@Budz You’re a champ, thanks for checking the lights for me! Would you recommend getting a new type/model or just getting 3 more of the ones I currently have?

1 Like

That’s completely up to you. I’m an HLG fanboy personally. They are the best by far at their price point. Only grow light company with an official Samsung partnership. Samsung actually makes the qb v2 288 boards 100%. Then slaps both their and horticulture lighting group’s name on them. I can build an hlg light for about $1 per actually running watt. Which is less than the competition. While giving more ppfd per running watt. So they cost less and give more light per running $ than the competition.

3 Likes

Something tells me this is gonna be a TIGHT fit lol

**Edit: got the the pic of the ‘tent’, whoops 2M = 6ft… my bad. Still could get tight but much better then I thought :wink: **

Yup. Most the time i get curly leaves, its rootzone/pH involved

Nope. It happens. Just means maybe a tad too much water. Young plants dont have well developed root zones. So cant drink a ton of water. This is why u see seedlings domed by alot of people. They pull moisture from the air until properly established.

Me too. Heck I wanna quote ur whole post but…

Says it all!

Looking mighty nice @StealyLegz those wonky ladies will get with the program. CBD already popped the leaves i woulda been worried for. And the Rebel is just that. A REBEL lol. Grow em on out.

5 Likes

@PurpNGold74 Thanks for the input friend! You’re far too kind for such a scuffed grow. Some big questions of mine have been answered! Okay, so I’ll go easy on the water next time, I had no idea they absorbed through the air. My humidity was/is pretty high (65-75%) so I most likely overwatered.

I’ll leave the Sweet Rebel to be a Rebel, lol, but I’m definitely going to need some tips on LST for it when the time comes! Hopefully, everyone here will help out. :smiley:

Appreciate the input on the CDB, I’ve been stressing about it for a while, so it’s great to hear that can come to an end. For photos like the CBD Haze, does stress during the seedling and early veg stage matter as much as it does with Autos? Can I pretty much always make a recovery late game?

@Budz Thanks for not making me feel like an idiot with the lights. I definitely had some worries, but hopefully, I can get another big one in time for the real veg and flower time. I checked out “horticulturelightinggroup” I figure that’s what you mean. :slight_smile: They look amazing! The only problem is I’m in Africa, so I don’t think the delivery fee will be worth it. I’ve found a " KingBrite 240w - Samsung LM301H Epistar LED Quantum Grow Light" locally, which is kinda in my budget. Should I go for it? I’m thinking that in the middle and then the two 110w on the sides?

@Underthestairs & @Low Just wanted to tag you two, as I’ve seen you both give great input for new growers. If you have the time, your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

1 Like

Tag anytime.

3 Likes

Yup. This is why I prefer photos. U have time to rectify and correct missteps.

Africa eh? U should be able to source some SWEET landraces that way. What part if you dont mind me asking?

And yes that shipping will probably kick ur a** but the lights are soooo worth it.

@dbrn32 u gotta easier obtained rec for lighting brands across the pond?

I know Cutter makes some sweet stuff. Think they are in Oz. Maybe able to beat shipping coming from outside US

3 Likes

You’ve got great growers advising here already… but I’m never scared to watch another grow!

Read! Seriously, read everything you can till you feel like you know the answers. Then just like me… realize you don’t. Practical experience is where knowing becomes real.

3 Likes

Diyleduk if he is still around. Otherwise that’s all I know.

2 Likes

Thanks for the involvement everybody! :grin:
Appreciate you homies keeping an eye out for my problems and all the solid advice already!

If anyone has time, I’ve got a few more questions:

1. As you can probably see, I didn’t have enough mix to fill all 8 bags to the top. Should I order more and top up the bags a bit later?

2. Still wondering if the “grow tent” I’ve made is worth the hassle. It keeps temp/hum/light stable, but I imagine the room it’s in, with the door closed would be pretty similar. Should I take advantage of the potential extra space?

3. Can I wait till flower to purchase a dehumidifier? @PurpNGold74 I’m in Cape Town, South Africa. That’s probably why the Durban Posion is doing so well. Growing close to home. I’ve found some original Swazi Gold, but that’s about it as far as landraces. I should definitely do a StrainHunters type mission in the near future!

Again, thank you @dbrn32 for the LED help, tagging your homie, and @Underthestairs, @Low, @Budz and @PurpNGold74 for following along!

@Mr_Wormwood I forgot to say, those plants of yours look incredible! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

4 Likes
  1. Yup top those bags up. More root space.

2. The tent is more controllable, but i prefer rooms myself. Its a matter of personal preference and ur environment.

3. 65-75% isnt bad at all. Yea ull want it lower for flower. But its perfect for vegging

5 Likes

Purp has you covered. And I agree on the room vs tent. I’d love to have aa full room… but well put together tent gives you a lung room which is easier to control the tent.

2 Likes

Welcome mate , nice set up :slight_smile: you mentioned music for your plants, there have been a few studies on this, I do play music for my plants but not my personal type of music, the study suggested that music with predominantly F notes , unfortunately that’s not megadeth Alice in chains Motörhead iron maiden tool a perfect circle or puscifier ccr and many others of my favourite bands, I have classical music jamming for them as per what the studies suggested , anyways it’s an interesting topic , good luck mate I’m tuned into watch

3 Likes

Why thank you for your kind words

2 Likes