Getting the hang of this (maybe)

Congrats on the harvest good job! :sunglasses:

1 Like

No one I know of would laugh at a 4oz plant like thatā€™s nothing. Nice work

3 Likes

If I get that much from my first haul, Iā€™ll be laughingā€¦ all the way to the bong

Congratulations on a job well done

4 Likes

They manufacture a product just for curing ur nuggets, they r called grove bags, info on the inter web. Have u ever wet trimmed ur girls? After pulling ur plant, cut off a branch n trim away, get ur self a catch tray n trim all ur excess, fan leaves, guard, sugar, n branches, into the tray to make other goodies. Hang ur trimmed branch on a clothes line, r single layer them into a box top lined with news paper r paper towels. Ur looking for 60% to 65% RH, so they will b moist to the touch. Then into Mason jars, removing the lid r burping them daily, with a little shake shake to keepā€™em from sticking together. This is just one of hundreds of curing methods. Iā€™m sure there r people here on the forum with tried n true methods, reach out, they r more than happy to help. N anyone who would laugh at 4oz per plant, doesnā€™t smoke. Lollypop trim ur girls to produce better n bigger top colas, itā€™s easy, read Mr. Bergmanā€™s journals. Back out of the forum n go to his home page, the journalā€™s r at the top of the page. :+1::v::alien:

2 Likes

Day 42 / 5 The Good, the Bad and the Really Unfortunate

So, first the Really Unfortunate. i have been trying to get 2 additional seedlings started as i wanted to try to have 4 plants in my 3 x 4 tent this grow. I have had several attempts at this. This morning i found one of the new seedlings totally dried out and long gone. RIP Strawberry Cough. You will be missed.

The Bad, isnā€™t all that bad. Yesterday BOTH new seedlings looked, well BAD, so, I put clear domes on them and misted several times throughout the day. I was also concerned that the big girl tent might be a little too chilly for them overnight during lights out, so i put the heating mat under them.

This am, low and behold the Bruce Banner appears to have made a surprisingly good recovery. the cotyledon leaves look a little burnt, but this girl looks like she may make it now.

Finally, the GOOD
The two older girls are off to the races on day 42. They look a tad small, but healthy (they will catch up, no worries there). i attempted my first FIM yesterday (YIKES) as i am attempting to initiate some additional structure. Last time i did some fairly major bondage, um, LST. This time just trying something new for a comparison. Using Jacks and they are starting to settle into maybe a every 3 day watering schedule.

3 Likes

opps, forgot the pics
Krishna (Hindu Kush)

Shortcake (strawberry cough)

4 Likes

Congratulations on the good, sounds like things are turning around for the ā€œbadā€ and on the ugly/unfortunate, that strawberry cough was probably going to be nothing but trouble I bet. Probably was going to hermie on you. Good riddance I say :grinning:

1 Like

OK, question not related to this thread. my last grow was chopped on May first. I had stopped watering 3 days prior to cutting. i slipped in before lights on and cut both before they knew what hit them.
i did no wet trimming except for the big fan leaves to try to slow down my drying. After 13 days, i dry trimmed and jarred the first girl. she is in curing city.
The second plant is starting to dry, some brittleness to the stems, but the tops (now the bottom since they are hanging) still are bendy. i pulled a small bud off for a taste test and it tastes GRASSY.

These plants were soooooooooo sticky when i cut them and even when i dry trimmed the first girl i had to clean or swap scissors 5 times cause they gunked up that bad that i couldnt cut with them.

So, the question. should taht grassy taste go away as she finishes drying and has a few weeks of curing out of the way, or this far along, does it seem like it is what it is.

Yes the grassy hay flavor will fade and be replaced with a weed smell if you dry and cure it properly

4 Likes

@Mr_Wormwood , thanks for the quick response. 4th grow and i never had that before. they were always WEEDY before. (guess i need to grow out my patience a little more :wink:

2 Likes

I am totally going by what I have read here about the hay smell and grassy smell

Maybe itā€™s the strain? Anyway you clearly have more experience in this area but from what Iā€™ve read it sometimes smell like grass until itā€™s is dryer properly

Iā€™d be patient and you should be fine

This is totally normal, once u jarā€™em up u want to keepā€™em at 60% to 65% RH, n burp ur jars. Depending on how long u cure, the longer the better, every couple days remove the lid maybe giveā€™em a little shake, shake. This gives them a taste of fresh air, n keeps them from sticking together. It wonā€™t take long n uā€™ll b smelling the sweet smell of success, the grassy r hay smell will b gone. Then itā€™s time for a ride on the puff, puff, train, whooo whooo all aboardā€¦:grin::grin::v::v::alien:

1 Like

Alien, lol, yes my wife is excited to get to that part. i handle the grow, seed to hanging. she helps out with the trim (she is also not a fan of dry trimming lol), but once they are dry and in the jars, she is the ā€œburp girlā€. so, Alexa reminds her every morning and evening that its time to burp.
She usually goes 2-3 weeks (depending on how low her inventory is getting lol). we are finally ā€œaheadā€ now so she will probs go 3 weeks for this batch. the first batch of buds are in the big jars with my little humidity gauges. they are running a little low right now (45%) so i will probably add bodiva packs in sometime next week to start to bring them back up if they dont come up themselves.

1 Like

I have been rehydrating my low Rh in jars with my pruned fan leaves or Vampire and test buds. My plants spit enough extra foliage that I canā€™t seem to run out of humidifiers :rofl:

2 Likes

It works but once you dehydrated bud it evaporated oils terps that greatly effect smell, taste and effect.

I. Still think drying is the hardest thing in growing

3 Likes

O hell yeah it is, itā€™s also one of the most important, gotta have some patience, to get the best product. :grin::v::v::alien:

1 Like

That Iā€™ve noticed! Luckily this last time was the bottom 8th of my jar.

Ok, i have some new pics and a new problem(?) to go with them.
i made a feeble (well, unsuccessful) attempt at FIMing. other than some leaves that are now disfugured as they QUICKLY grew out, i dont see any benefit.
i then decided to top both as they were stretching a bit more than i wanted (moved the light down, didnt help, turned it up, we will see if that helpsā€¦ i need to read more of the Using DLI thread and figure out what i am doing).
Anyway, i digressā€¦ things are going well. the girls have looked, well FABULOUS to date.

Then came this morning. they were pretty dry, i was on the fence yesterday whether to water or wait another day. i opted to wait. gave them both 1/2 gallon this am (feeding Jackā€™s 3-2-1 every feeding).

first i noticed some new little spots (hadnt seen them before. can anyone tell me what these are and should i be concerned? @nicky @Hellraiser @Covertgrower

they arent as easy to see in the pics but they are WHITE spots

i only see them on the one leave so far

1 Like

After checking for pests, and you find none, I wouldnā€™t worry about it.

1 Like

@Covertgrower thanks. i checked top and bottom and didnt see anything i may bring the big magnifier down and have a look just to be sure.

2 Likes