Germination temperature question

Temps in my grow tent are at a constant 68 degrees F. Soil is also reading 68 degrees.
I germinated the seeds in paper towels until the tap
Root was a 1/4 inch, almost 2 days ago and I’m still waiting for them to pop.
Today I put a lava lamp to add some heat to hopefully speed up the process.
Any tips on getting the temps up without ordering anything online?
Would I be able to run my spiderfarner sf1000 for some added heat?
Thanks ij advanced

2 Likes

I have rice-filled bean bags that can be microwaved to soothe sore muscles. The seeds I had germinating were in a closet at about 68° - I ended up microwaving the bean bags a couple times a day and throwing them into the back of the closet- far enough from the seeds to not make a massive temperature change right away but as the heat dissipated, it seemed to raise the ambient temp up to about 71°. That was enough to get some seeds to pop after about 3 days.

Hot water bottles, heating pads, or similar would probably also work. I’m not sure about the light.

2 Likes

Hey i”m a first time grower but using a spider farm 1000, Planted seeds in soil put under light got some tips from another growers have light at 24-26 80% raised temp about 2-3 degrees, when I got my humidity right. Still at seedlings stage but my first time and still alive. Hope this helps

2 Likes

I found a good germination heat pad works well with peat pod/soil germination in a dome. Good investment. Definitely need some darkness and heat.

1 Like

Yes running the light without any exhaust fans may raise Temps about 5° at max settings just be sure the light is about 35 inches away to be safe (also dome your seedlings)

1 Like

“20 growers gonna give you 20 different answers”…that saying rings true here, circumstance is going to be the decider…personally i believe birth shapes the future of a plant, not discrediting the importance of every stage but germination is clutch. Im dialed in at 83F, 70% RH in a super sprouter heat dome under a T5 24/7 in a root riot plug about 1/4" down on its side soaked in about 20ml of a clonex (solution not gel),great white and RO mix and im usually seeing pop in about 72 hrs…have not needed a heat pad …but i live in the desert :slight_smile:

2 Likes

if you have a refrigerator it generates a lot of heat consider putting your pots on top of the fridge would provide extra heat to get the job done. otherwise if youve got access to water heater that generally stays warm too