Germination progress timing

I’ve been soaking 5 seeds of GG4 for almost six days now, initially just on the counter, but now in a darker area. They are all germinating but the tail is still barely poking out of the seed hull. Should I go ahead and plant them?

3 Likes

I will put them in soil with a tiny tail 6 days is a long time from what I have learned and doing. I use a water peroxide solution usually 2-3 days they are 95percent in soil. Even have sliced a few shells to help strugglers. Good luck.

3 Likes

You could add a few drops of peroxide to the water, it often helps with seeds.

4 Likes

I use plain tap with a couple drops of peroxide. I don’t soak for more than 2 days. If they haven’t cracked in 24hrs, I will use tweezers to slightly pinch on both ends to open them. Only had to do it 2 or 3 times, but it works.

3 Likes

I use the shot glass water peroxide method on a seedling mat. I also sand the seeds pointy ends just a little to help. Most of my seeds germinate within 24 hours. I’ve had some seeds sprout tails in as little as 6 hrs.

5 Likes

Agree with the above posts…I only soak for 24hrs and then pop into the soil. Some go to paper towels. The point of both of those is to prevent the seed from dying from lack of oxygen which it needs to live. I honestly don’t know why the instructions to soak the seed for multiple days until a tail sprouts is given. One day is enough to begin the process and if its going to grow it will in the soil.

5 Likes

This is a good video showing and explaining the float method for germination.

1 Like

If you see a tail, go ahead and plant them but in pre-moistened soil.

4 Likes

I guess I’m really old school. I pop them straight in to moistened soil with a baggie over the top to make a little greenhouse. It’s very rare don’t have one come up. 4 or 5 days like clock work.

4 Likes