Germination problem+substrates

A customer has a question or concerns and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks.

I have had a problem with growing seeds. They just don’t want to germinate. I have used 3 types of medium from river sand, coco fibre and sand and dirty mix. I have keep them moist at all times but still have no luck. Can you please tell me the best medium and the conditions I should use to grow from seed.

1 Like

I soak the seed for 24 hours then straight to the dirt and keep the dirt wet with just a spray bottle.
Some use a damp paper towel and wait till they see a tiny sprout then to a solo cup with soil keep damp with spray bottle and be patient it can take several days for them to sprout depending on conditions

3 Likes

Also none of those mediums are good to start a seed in
Sand drys out to fast
Coco fibre is very acidic when water hits it
Sand and dirt mix not sure what that is.
There is a step by step on the blog under guides.
Hope this helps

2 Likes

Zoe, tell that person to join the forum and both me @Growit will help them get this figured out. It is just a matter of following a couple of steps that are proven to work and we can get them on the path to growing!

3 Likes

I would suggest following Roberts germination method and use a seed stater mix from local garden center
Mist soil as need to keep moist not wet
But i agree joining the forum for assistance would be a good move
Happy growing peeps

2 Likes

Im pretty new at this and I read and it did well for me since my house is the Ice princess castle (my wife) I took two plates and paper towel double it up wet it and cover with another towel and put the other lid on top and put every thing on a cable box keep moist not wet for a couple of days.

2 Likes