Germination, light or no light

So I am get mixed answers to my question from the growing topics and forums…while germinating seeds do you want light or no light?

1 Like

Using the damp paper towel method , clamshelled between two saucers. I’ve never used a light to germinate seeds. Just my thoughts good luck

3 Likes

I put in dark closet between two plates on dampened kitchen towels. I check it and if not moist, dampen more. Never had a problem.

2 Likes

I am using the water glass method of germination

1 Like

I don’t give them light until they get dropped in soil.

2 Likes

I use a cup of water for 24 hours to soften the seed cap and then to the paper towel method.

1 Like

A germinating seed needs to be in the dark. They should also be warm. A light may be used to provide some warm provided the seed is in the dark as previously explained.

3 Likes

Thank you for clearing that up for me

1 Like

I find that an electronic device like a satellite or cable box is the perfect temp. I soak the seeds for a day in shallow dish of water with 15 - 20% hydrogen peroxide. Put this in a paper bag and set on my satellite receiver. After a 24 hour soak I poor the water onto paper towels, put between plates and wait for the tails to grow to 1/2" or so. Then, into the starter mix. I have had good success with this procedure.

3 Likes

Still a lot of mixed answers all good ones. I really like to soak the seeds in a small cop with about 4 or so oz of ro or distilled water with a capful of peroxide from under the bathroom sink. My seeds have all cracked with a tiny tail 24 hrs later

3 Likes

Looked there & no peroxide, is it ok from in the closet?? :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Might have been sampling prior to writing his response​:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Nope, gotta come from under the bathroom sink. If it’s in the closet you can move it to under the bathroom sink for 23.5 hours if it’s a leap year and pre daylight savings time, then remove from under the bathroom sink and use as directed by the director. Lololol

4 Likes

It’s under there now.

1 Like

A seed properly sewn is under the soil right? No light there… in fact, the only tissue that requires light is the leaf. So once they sprout and the cotyledons spread and the first set of true leaves are starting to pop out… then they require light.

1 Like

Darkness here…except when nature calls. My bathroom is the darkest room so this is where I germinate my seeds.

3 Likes