Germination in water , think I read to keep in dark, 1ww sank 2 bd floating, just put in water do they need to sink to bottom to sprout?

Autos inside in soil 3 gal fabric pots, soil top to bottom fflw,happy frog ffo, want to note with worm tea, what stage, how much how often

I’ve never had a seed sink. 98% have germinated just fine. Would hold of on the teas until you’re at least well into veg. Your soil will hold you over until then.

You can tap the seed next day and it will sink. That’s what I do. I dont know if it is necessary but just what I do.

2 Likes

I know they say if seed dont sink when tapped if not sink on its own that the insides of seed might mot be any good. Might not be true but might be. I always tap to see if they sink some do and come back up but the sink is a good sogn it is holding some wayer on the inner for the sprout to get. Not sinking moat likely will be a dead seedpowdery inside. Someone could have told me wrong but this is fdom my understanding. Good luck

It has to be a myth. None of my seeds have ever sank and I’ve only had a couple not pop.

3 Likes

Ive had seeds that didnt sink til a slight tap but they sink. Never had a seeds not sink to be able to know but i have had seeds sink and not germ

3 Likes

I’ve tried to get them to sink but they just float right back up. Which is fine for me. Makes it easier to grab the buggers when it’s time to drop in the soil.

I’ve never had a seed sink, unless tapped, usually it takes 24 hrs to absorb enough moisture to sink after tapping in my expierance.

2 Likes

May be on to something there. Not many of mine have made it past the 24hr mark.

Same experience for me as Betryaedsoul, Audiofreak and Mark0427. I mixed in a couple capfuls of peroxide with my water to help keep them oxygenated in case they had to sit for a couple days. After 24hrs or so some sank others didn’t. A gentle tap however then they sank. I let them all sit on the bottom until they sprouted and got 6 out of 6 to sprout.

1 Like

I’ve always thought I was doing it wrong as it takes 2days before they stick out their tongue. I dont put them in paper towel until the tongue is out. So far only 2 out of 15 didnt germinate. So if it ain’t broke…

1 Like