Germinating seeds got dry on day 3

after 3rd day after paper towel method, i left seeds a foot from the radiator, they were wet when i left to work, when i came home the paper was almost totally dry. i buried them today, they are wet in soil… Im wondering if a few hours of dryness/ heat would harm the plant long term? they look nice, but im not sure if i damaged them?

Everyone has their preferred method of germination…If you want try the water germ method. you said they dried out on the paper towel…but didn’t say if they had a taproot yet?..Keep the newly planted soil moist (not too wet) and warm and see if anything pops up…? Ive been doing the water germ method for a while and have great results.Good Luck…and keep us posted.

4 Likes

yes both seeds have their tap roots out, everything was fine until yesterday i dont think they were moist for a few hours because the heater was kinda close the place where they were . would that harm a seed?

1 Like

The wet paper towel should be placed in a sealed zip lock bag to prevent drying out. With a tap root and buried in soil you should see a seedling in 3-4 days :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Ive accidently cooked seeds when getminating. Only way to find out is drop them in the dirt and wait!

2 Likes

Same for me as @AL_GREEN i throw my seeds in water and cover with something to block out the light. My usual go to is a solo cup with RO water and a book, or something solid to block the light out. In 2-3 days I usually have a 1” taproot.

1 Like

Ive just directly planted my last 2 seeds in soil. Is there any benefits to germinating them before planting other than increasing odds that they sprout? Ive tried to research it but havent really found any answers. I was germinating them in a damp paper towel, then someone told me that wasnt a good idea because it tears off microscopic roots that grow into the paper towel. I have no idea if that is true or just broscience?

1 Like

I have never had a seed die in the wet paper towel method. That said I look for the seed to crack and as soon as I see white coming out in dirt it goes. I don’t let it grow any kind of a root in the paper towel.
:call_me_hand:t2::call_me_hand:t2:

3 Likes

Yes I have read that sometimes if you let them go too long the small roots that grow out of the main tap “can” get caught up in the paper? and yea as with most methods be it germinating,watering,nutes ,lighting etc etc…You’ll find that different methods exist and some use them some don’t…I have heard and have grown seeds sown directly in the soil…No transplanting…The benefit i think is that you do not disturb the root system of the plant…The roots can grow at their own pace with as much room as they want to do so ( providing you gave them that) Many growers direct sow others transplant…You have to figure out what you like and what works for you.

2 Likes