Germinating new seeds

I would very carefully move the soil at the top to see if you can find the seed. If you do and it hasn’t germinated I would try to germinate it again in water. It could still be viable.

But I have to tell you if it has tailed/ germinated and you mess with it, you could kill it. So the decision is up to you. @Leyank86

2 Likes

Ok I will try to that with 1 tomorrow and see what happens. I did start another with warm water, PH is at 6.0, and is sitting with my cable box. Hopefully 3rd time is a charm… @bob31

1 Like

did you put a baggie or something over the glass to keep it humid? Lift it off (burp) every 4-6 hours when you can let some fresh air get in there. @Leyank86 Keep the germination area dark as well. I cover with a handkerchief or a hand towel or similar. Just be careful with water on top of the electronics. Thats why I set the whole thing in a bowl.

1 Like

It’s in a shot glass. I put a coffee cup over it. Is that too much of a seal? @bob31

Lift it off to let some fresh air in as needed every 3-4 hours or so. @Leyank86

2 Likes

@bob31 So I did exactly what you said with the new seed I put in the water last night and I think I see a tiny little sprout!!! I’m so excited! Thank you!

As for the seeds that I had in the soil, I very gently did them up this morning and no sprout. So I dug up the other one. It looked really dark so I wasn’t sure if it rotted. I gave it a little squeeze to see if it was soft, it cracked open… But I put both in there own glass of water to see what happens.
I’m so excited for my new seed though! Can’t wait for it to grow! Thanks again everyone for all the info.

1 Like

Ok, keep us posted @Leyank86 I am vested here too! LOL!

2 Likes

So once I put my seedling in the soil, do I start keeping them under the light right away? 16 hrs on 8 hrs off? @bob31

1 Like

Do you put them in dry soil then just moist the top, or moist all the soil? @bob31 everybody does this so different…

2 Likes

I moisten the soil a bit and then cover the seed with an 1/8 of soil, lightly.

The light, I use t5 florescent lights for sprouting. What do you have for lights? Just the type and wattage @Leyank86

1 Like

@bob31 LED 300watt

1 Like

24 - 30 inches, 18/6 hows that sound? @Leyank86

Have they germinated?

2 Likes

@bob31 ok sounds good!! Yes, the 1 new seed did! It had about 1/4 inch tail on it this morning!! I’m good to put in soil, right?

1 Like

Sure 1/4 inch tail is good! Nice! How about the other seed you pulled back out of the soil? @Leyank86

1 Like

They haven’t done anything yet… @bob31

1 Like

So I looked at the other 2 seeds that I pulled from the soil, one is cracked open a little bit but the root is black. I’m gonna assume that it’s dead, right? The other one the I accidentally cracked, the root is still white so that one might have a chance…

As for my little one that sprouted and now in soil, should I keep a baggy over it until the stem Comes up? And I know it should just be moist, not wet. So should I stay away from watering until the soil starts getting dry. I don’t want to over water but I want to make sure it has enough water. @bob31 my temperature is at 81°F and humidity at 43%

1 Like

Yes the baggie will help keep the humidity high for that new sprout. They do best at about 80 degrees and 80% rh @Leyank86

2 Likes

Ok sounds good. Thank you!
So what do you think I should do with this other 2 seeds? Just toss them and call it a loss? @bob31

I thought you were going to float them in the water? Why not try one more time, nothing to lose @Leyank86

2 Likes

@bob31 They are still in the water right now. I just wasn’t sure. The one that split, looks black inside so I was guessing the root looks dead since it’s not white

1 Like