Germinating lights

A couple questions when getting seeds to sprout in soil…I know a cfl light or a T5 light close the the pot is ideal. A couple questions…

Why can’t I just use my LED light and have it farther away?

If I use CFL, how many and how close should they be?

I use natural light and use LED light for growth. What Watt led

@Happyweed84

I have a few, the most powerful is a mezhi 600W led…probably around 320 true watts.

I used a 30w led with great results. I used 30w led and sun on some days that had sun the last couple of weeks.

1 Like

@Happyweed84

It’s unfortunately not ideal weather here for the sun. In the past grows I’ve used the LED light, I just wanted to know if there was an advantage or disadvantage to this method over a CFL

Not until true leaf’s are formed if lights are high it will stretch if too low it will cause burning of true leaf’s. I hope it help’s

1 Like

UK? Shit here

@Happyweed84

I’m in NY. The weather is turning gloomy and rainy.

How close can I place the CFL’s to the plants?

For 300w CLF Around 6 inches should be fine but check how much heat is getting to the plant buy putting the front of your hand on top of the seedling and see how hot the light feels on the back of your hand. If it feels to hot bring the light up until it just feels right.

@dmykins
I germinate my seeds under a 300w chinese led. It’s 120w actual and It’s set about 24" above the pots. For the first couple days I use plastic bottles for humidity domes. 3 grows, 9 seeds, 100% germination.

4 Likes

@SilentHippie

I have the Mezhi 600W led, a galaxy hydro 300 watt LED, and a galaxy hydro 270 watt LED. I think the 600w actually pulls about 320, the 300 is about 152, and the 270 is around 90. Would there be any difference in using one over the other? Or using more than one? I am doing autos this time so I don’t want to transplant.

1 Like

Since seedlings dont need much light to start out, I’d try the 90w and see how they do. I’d start around 24" to 28" and look for stretch. This grow (new tent) I started at 30" and noticed a little stretch on a couple. You can probably use that through transplant and maybe save a few pennies on juice.

Just read you don’t want to transplant. You might run into footprint issues with the 90w if the plants are spaced out and may reach for light. I’m growing photos and sprout in 4" seedling pots that I can group together.

@SilentHippie

I’m apprehensive to transplant. Even with my photos I’ve grown I try not to transplant. The photos I started in a solo cup and the transplant did not go well at all :frowning:

1 Like

@SilentHippie

I also have something very similar to this…

Would this be useful?

That’s what I have. Lol

1 Like

And it works

1 Like

@Happyweed84

How many inches do you keep it above the plant/dirt?

Plant around 3-5 inches depending on in age and strain.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your transplant issues. I only transplant once and my plants are under leds from seed to harvest. You might have to play with the height of your lights but it must certainly can be done. :v:

1 Like