Genetic Polyploid Cannabis Photos

Polyploid plants have 2 sets of identical chromosomes, so some interesting growth occurs. Here are some pics if you’ve never seen one.

You can see in the pic of the structure that the plant has 2 mains. It isn’t from topping. It grew like that naturally. The main on the right is growing more dense than the other one. You can see that in one of the pics I took from the top (where it looks like too many branches/leaves all trying to grow out at once.

It’s hard to see in the pics, but the mains are structured like ribbon cables in that they are somewhat flat and very wide.

You can see in the pics too that there is growth coming out in all directions from the nodes. In some places leaves or branches are growing out randomly. I stuck a pen sized highlighter in for one pic so you could see how big the stalks are on the mains. The plant isn’t very old and is only about a foot tall at most.

11 Likes

There have been at least one or two posted here, but not for a while that I’ve seen.

My Caboose plant was a polyploid. Her branches were flat like ribbons but almost an inch wide and completely hollow. She grew good though.

2 Likes

Here is my Blue Dream having done the same. Thanks for the information. I didn’t know it had a specific name or what caused it.

The first picture has a good look at the structure. The second is what she looks like now.

She is a thick girl. I had to clean her up several times to get her spread out enough to bud properly. She might be a foot tall. Looks like the buds will be very dense.

3 Likes

Yeah. I’m concerned that the main shown on the right side isn’t going to be productive and am thinking about just cutting it off. Random stuff grows everywhere and she’s choking herself to death. The left side is growing 2 of everything, but that right side seems to be growing 4 or 6 of everything and is putting up random growth too.

1 Like

I really went to town on cleaning her up to prevent the plant from choking itself out. She had branches everywhere and in all directions it seemed.

2 Likes

I cut the branch off of mine that was going crazy with colas all over it. Seemed like she always focused her energy toward it. After I cut it off she grew like a normal plant again

3 Likes

Have either of you harvested? I’ve heard that polyploids produce extremely potent weed. I’ve pulled a clone off the better side for that reason.

2 Likes

Yes mine came down a couple months ago. She smokes like a champ…Caboose(Trainwreck x Salmon Creek Big Bud)

3 Likes

I have not harvested yet. I’ve heard the same potentcy wise so I took a clone as well. It’s growing really weird. I contributed that to having a minor fungus gnat problem. Could have to do with genetics. I topped her because the top started curling. She seems to be growing good besides that. I’m moving her to the veg tent next week just to see what happens.

2 Likes

Yours turned out nice! I didn’t have one side stronger than the other. They seemed to behave exactly the same.

2 Likes

Maybe the density of the vegetation?

2 Likes

Fungus gnats. A small very annoying bug. Easily managed though.

2 Likes

The only potential flowering site on the “bad” side that is so dense had no flowering sites other than at the very top of the plant. I cut that mass off of the top (essentially topping her) to encourage her to grow proper flowering nodes.

If she fails, then the right side will come off. We’ll see in a week or so.

You can see that the main is shaped like a piece of celery where I cut her. I’ve since put some honey on the wound to help her heal.

2 Likes

What ever happened here ! I have one now same way. One side is ribbon with alot of sites. Other is normal. Started as a tri cotelydon

Current look.

1 Like