General Hydroponics General Confusion

I can pick out that water stone barely covered with water sound now a days. Under a couple inches it sounds dull, but a few millimeters of water it sounds harsh and angry. Running dry isn’t too bad as long as it doesn’t go to the point the roots start to dry out. Most times its better to be a bit more dry as these roots like oxygen.

2 Likes

Just to be clear, this is the line:

https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-Flora-Bloom-Fertilizer/dp/B017H73708/?tag=greenrel-20

You run all three base nutes through the entire grow: not Micro and Gro then Micro and Bloom. Micro is added first after silica and cal mag. Use week 3 veg schedule with lower TDS than called out until flipping.

5 Likes

You sir clearly did not read the directions… You can use both FloraGro and FloraBloom together, but from first hand experience it’s a waste, you’ll be flushing a great deal of nutrients down the drain with each change of water doing that. I’ve used all three together and got identical results from just using Gro during a veg state and Bloom during the flowering stage. No where in the directions does it say to use both it says “and/or”, and from personal experience it’s a massive waste.

1 Like

I guess they should update their grow schedule and catch the dozens of folks on this forum that use ‘Base 3’ and clearly shows in the schedule a rise and lowering of either Gro or Bloom, depending. Our experience has been to run more moderate levels of salts than called out.

But you can grow plants that way.

2 Likes

Not saying you can’t just that I personally don’t bother because in my experience it never did much, at least in smaller setups. I’m sure in larger setups it may be good, especially if you’re feeding multiple plants in a recirculating system; but I’ve personally only grown a couple of plants at a time in systems like the waterfarm and a 5 gallon DWC (with my experience in DWC being very minimal). In larger systems I can see a use to the excess nutrients, especially since those systems you’re not doing full changes of water.

1 Like

So this was, what?

2 Likes

I will add in. This is what I go by. I started with top watering and then with an auto pot. Similar to the dwc.
After about 2 years of growing. I realized I converted the numbers wrong for flower. I reversed the micro and grow. After doing a grow using the chart correct. I found I actually do better with more grow than micro in flower. This is the chart I go by my self. I am not saying to use it. But I can say. My plants have not suffered any. I have personaly seen @Myfriendis410 s grows. He feeds different and does great

3 Likes

Pointing out the directions clearly state you can use Micro + Gro AND/OR Bloom. It’s not always correct to say you always use all 3 and is highly misleading, considering the directions tell you to use them in equal portions; but that’s not always correct and has more nuance based on the water being used and other factors such as supplements and whether or not they’re using silica. I kept what I was posting super simplistic so he could develop his own methods and grow schedule, not just saying “oh use all 3”. You seem to be getting very defensive, and won’t bother going on further discussions if you have this continuing attacking mindset; which also feels very toxic for a community looking to help one another.

I knew the original poster is working with a small grow setup (less than 2 gallons), so I gave him my opinion based on my experience from working with smaller setups using GH nutes.

2 Likes

Yep, there are more than one way to skin a cat :grin: For me. It always takes a grow or 2 to find my feet with new stuff.Just separating these to make it easier to view

3 Likes

I guess I haven’t seen this anywhere. But like @Not2SureYet said: there’s more than one way to get to the finish line. And we all have to adjust for genetics and conditions. I’m leaning heavily towards Jack’s 3-2-1 which has a much higher percentage of N, P, K than has been generally accepted. But it is economical and grows good cannabis.

3 Likes

so use all three through the whole grow, just in the ratios on @Not2SureYet’s graphic.

3 Likes

Depends on his particular environment. Mine’s different with a different VPD and PPFD than he’s running. He’s in the same climate (he lives 5 blocks away haha) but tuned for his setup (which is awesome). I use that ratio called out by GH, maintain moderate TDS and monitor the plants. I also like to support them through flower with a bit more N than has been generally considered ‘optimal’. Thus the Jack’s which @Not2SureYet is currently playing with.

1 Like

If you want to use my chart. let me get the correct one for you. It is from the bottle. The chart above has grown me some nice sized plants. 2 1/2 years worth. Using from the bottle schedule might be best. I also stay with the chart when adding additional nutes. But it is my grow I am working with. Switching the micro and grow will be what the bottles say.
And as @Myfriendis410 mentions. He uses GHs chart for when adding supplement additives.
I don’t think you can go wrong either way though. We have both done well with GH.

2 Likes

oh I see what you mean on the bottle. i wasn’t sure what directions we were talking about. i can just follow the GH schedule since you guys think it’s reliable. I wasn’t sure if there was a problem adding all three but it seems like that’s what they recommend.

2 Likes

Yep, Once you have done a grow with these. You will know how to use them for the next grow. I go with the less is more.
I use 1/2 - 3/4 strength for autos. And 3/4 to full for photos

@Myfriendis410 s chart is simple to follow as well

1 Like

thanks everyone. this is starting to make sense.

1 Like

I was wondering? Every video says all 3 must be used in unison for the nutes to work properly. Meaning add micro first, grow then bloom.

Is this true?

If I want to add some PK I can’t just add some Bloom? At flower in small amounts?
@Not2SureYet

1 Like

I am thinking they mean they should be used together for best results. I see no reason why you could not just use for for a specific purpose. @Myfriendis410 lost his internet for a short time but should be back this week. He used the lucus formula where you use none of the grow. green bottle. If you would be in flower. Do you men just add a little extra of the P?

3 Likes

You can mix any combination you want but unless you are experienced with the GH line, I would not deviate from a published schedule.

4 Likes

I was just trying to add some more PK and use a few ml of GH Bloom in some water instead of getting another product. The videos always say to mix the 3 in order, like they won’t work if one doesn’t do it in order, or so the video implies.

I was doing this separately from my normal water schedule. I was having a Potassium/Phos deficiency. Got a tip to add some PK between watering.

That’s why I’m asking. I just wanted to use Bloom alone.

@Not2SureYet I need some PK.

1 Like