GE Par 38 LED bulbs

Anyone using these? I am doing my first grow ever with an auto blueberry strain. Outdoors in my area is a no go right now because of daily torrential rains. I was not ready to buy a tent and a real light yet. so I bought one of each of these, the 2700K and the 5000K. It looks like GE just tuned the spectrum on their existing 30/32 watt food bulbs. Pretty sturdy looking bulbs with a nice heat sink. I have them in two shock light fixtures right now. I am in like day 13 from the seed going into the glass fo water and 10 days in the ground. The boxes say that there are 32 watts for the 5000K and 30 for the 2700K. That sounds like “real watts” when you think that a normal size LED grow bulb is like 9 or more. Any thoughts?

Probably work for now but once plant gets bigger and starts to flower you’re gonna need more. @dbrn32 can tell you more

1 Like

I agree, will get you by but not what you’d want to flower with.

So are they 62 watts or not 62 watts? The boxes and literature said 30 and 32, not 30 and 32 equivalent. Just wondering because I see people flowering single plants with no problem with a 54 watt COB light.

1 Like

You weren’t there to see how loose and larfy their finished harvest was. Low light equates to low yield. One of my favorite acronyms: TANSTAAFL. There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. If you saw folks growing dank with 60 watts we’d ALL be doing it. To my mind the space your plants are in right now is the most expensive real estate you own. Why do all that work and expense and then scimp the lights?

When it comes time for you to decide on what you want, reach out to @dbrn32; especially before buying blurple lights off of Amazon.

Here’s my CV: under 600 watts in 24 square feet.

32 oz of flower in 5 months

7 Likes

That looks great, but how does that relate to one small plant? This is my first grow where the plant actually grew true leaves, so what I am worried about is not super high yield, but a plant that survives and produces something. :blush: The ratings on these bulbs appear to be like 1.7. that is not great compared to the 2.15 of the 54 watt Optic 1, but it doesn’t seem that bad.Plus, I have two bulbs. I am also putting the plant outside when i cqn. She was outside in direct Florida sunlight today for like 3 1/2 hours before the rain came. WhenI get my big light setup, I willlikley go with some variation of the Optic 1 XL, perhaps the 320 watt array with the two COB’s and the panel if I growth a 2 x 4 tent,

2 Likes

Sunlight is good. You will never equal that. I do the same thing when I can because I don’t like paying $400 electric bills haha.

Plant needs minimum light of correct spectrum to support plant growth, sugar production and root growth to support a flowering canopy. All of that needs lots of light. Cannabis is not a quivering daisy: it needs lots of light to do it’s job. Think of it as: you are converting electricity into sugar. More light equals more sugar. That sugar is what the plant uses to grow and flower. Without it you will get low yields, and low quality flower.

You need between 30 and 50 watts per square foot to develop good flower. That’s your operating metric.

3 Likes

1.7 is likely the radiometric efficacy. 1.7 umols per second per watt. So a true 32 watt bulb would have a photosynthetic photon flux of about 54.4 umols per second. The optic 1 if indeed 2.15 and 54 watts would have total flux of 116 umols per second. That’s more than twice as much light. Even there, the optic 1 would have to be in fairly small space with reflective surfaces to be “good” on light.

If you don’t really care about bud quality and how much you harvest, then you will do fine. Just keep your plants small so you don’t overgrow your lights.

2 Likes

Plant singular. I have two lights pointed at one plant and I do mean pointed!!! These bulbs are beamy like their spotlight counterparts. I looked more closely at the box and they appear to be claiming a flat 50 umols for each bulb. Pretty close to what you figured. Like I said, I have both bulbs pointing onto one 10 inch wide pot.

1 Like

That could be slight difference in actual power consumed or variance in efficacy from bulb to bulb, something like that anyway. I give them props for putting radiometric output on the box, don’t see that a lot with inexpensive stuff.

Your results will basically come down to light density. Small amount of light can do well over a small area. Just do your best to keep all light contained on the plants.

2 Likes

As beamy as these lights appear to be, the hard part might keeping thePLANT inside the spot. LOL Another thought that I had is that if these work okay, then maybe an Optic 1 XL in a 2 x 2.5 Gorilla tent with these “fill lights” might interesting for a small footprint single plant setup. From what I am seeing, you would need that 100 watt and then some to get what these Blueberry auto strain that I am trying to grow willgivebest case.
As for being cheap, these bulbs aren’t that cheap. Like $35-39 per bulb. they just happened to be on the shelf at Target when I went in, :grin: The good news is that they aren’t gouging for the grow lights. The regular spots cost about the same.
Have also been seeing some Cree spots listed as 90 and 150 watt equivalent for like $10-12 per bulb. Whats interesting me is that this LED technology has comes far so fast that we can actually start a reasonable discussion about the possibilites of using “consumer grade” stuff that you can buy at a big box store and not get laughed out of the room. :wink:

2 Likes

There are better alternatives to the optic lights if you look at doing something like that. 2x2 or there abouts is a great tent to grow in if you don’t need a lot of weed.

So what are some better option sin that price range? The most I can see speeding for a 2 x 4 light setups that $600 MOL range that you see for the Optic 320 watt combo say the 300 watt Electric Sky.

If you’re looking for 2x4, hlg-260xl kit is a nice light, and way less than $600

3 Likes

You had me up until the “some assembly required” part. LOL

2 Likes

You can order from growerslights assembled and tested for small fee. Will still be better and cheaper than other lights.

3 Likes

Seriously; lighting is the most important decision you can make and affects the entire growing process from nutrient uptake to yield. You will really appreciate the HLG lights: state of the art (or close), quiet, thin, cool, and very bright.

2 Likes

Cool. I am guessing that would be $25 well spent for me. Minimize the chance of electrocution or burning down my house and what have you. :smile:

1 Like

The reality is that it’s not much different than replacing a power cord on something like a vacuum cleaner. Average cat can do it safely in an hour or so. Maybe an afternoon watching YouTube videos and taking smoke breaks haha. But if the extra $25 isn’t going to break you, then definitely a little peace of mind there. But I’d be guessing once you seen it, you would agree its probably something you could do.

1 Like

So what in your opinon makes those Samsung diodes superior to say the Cree COB’s?

2 Likes