Gas lantern lightning technique

Has anyone tried it or using it? If not familiar it is a lighting schedule of 12 on 5.5 off 1 on and 5.5 off. It sound like a good thing.

3 Likes

Gotta say, never heard of that. Interested in what others say for sure. @Smokin_ernie

2 Likes

Sound like your over thinking this plants outdoors rarely get 1 hr light in middle of darkness. I would think it would mess with flowering and during veg why bother

2 Likes

A third party person uses this technique and has good results. It is supposed to save a bunch on electricity.

1 Like

Well your only off 1 more hour that 12/12 not much of a savings

1 Like

Don’t think I can attach link but if you google it is for vegging and flowering. Essential you are trying to mimic the amount of light you get when out doors. I have only read one article and going to check out more.

2 Likes

I think it’s worth learning more about @Smokin_ernie I haven’t heard of it till now.

2 Likes

Yeah @bob31 never heard of it either. I pretty sure the guy that used it had like 3 plants that he says will produce about a lb dried.

2 Likes

Not sure how that mimics outdoor light since theres never total darkness then a flash of light for an hour, then back to darkness. Seems like a lot of extra work on a timer for minimal return. I think youd be better running 12/12.

4 Likes

@VelcroThumb

12-1 lighting method on the cannabisni website

4 Likes

Ive never heard of tnis method but will look in to it a bit more
I skimmed article and i can say this i have found that my plants will flower as soon as the are mature enough to start flowering under anything less them 16 hours
My last grow i used 14-10 in veg and all my plants started to per flower around 4-5 weeks feom sprout
I usually let my plants go for 6-7 weeks from sprout before flowering? Just a observation i have
Will do some more research tho @Smokin_ernie

7 Likes

@VelcroThumb that is the article I read. Definitely look a bit more into it. The article mentions that the light schedule is to simulate outdoor grow. So not sure what the 1 hour during dark period have to do other then it may think it is a new day and start to growing. I am sure it causes some kind of stress but maybe in a good way.

3 Likes

Its more about energy savings based on a theory that plants only need 13 hrs of light to stay veg and by following that technique you can keep plants vegging without running light so much

3 Likes

@bob31 i didnt even notice that! I took it down good sir!

3 Likes

It’s just a way to keep your plants in veg without using a bunch of electricity… the 1 hour light blast allows the plant to keep making a certain hormone to keep it in the veg state , but will not make your plant grow any bigger or faster with some kind of monster yeild… :wink:
I do something similar in veg , but the only reason that I do it is because of heat issues , so by allowing my lights to turn on and off at certain times , cools the room down… :wink:
Most of the people that use the lantern technique are growing outdoors and this technique allows them to veg their plants longer without having to do anything major… you can simply walk around your plants with a flood light for a couple of hours at night and keep them in a vegetative state… :wink:
:v: :sunglasses:

7 Likes

We have a lot of commercial greenhouses around here. I see them turn on the lights for a brief period in the middle of the night. They are manipulating the photoperiod so plants stay in veg.

I guess you could run 6 hours on, 6 hours off and only use 12 hours of electricity and keep them in veg. But less hours of light will make them grow slower.

2 Likes