Fungus Knat and Damping Off

I found a great page online for controlling Fungus Knats and preventing Damping Off. How to Control Fungus Gnats and Damping Off Organically .

I am going to try the potato slices for 48 hours before transplanting my babies into their grow home just to be sure I don’t have any. When I transplant, I am going to sprinkle Ceylon cinnamon around the stems of the babies to prevent Damping Off. The article says that this will kill the fungus that causes this.

I added these steps to my grow log. I’ll let you know how it works out.

By the way: The only reason I am overly concerned about this is that I am using a Organic Mulch in my base soil (before amendments) and want to be certain this won’t be an issue. I think the cinnamon to prevent damping off might just be a good rule of thumb.

4 Likes

Over watering will also cause both issue keep that in mind
Let us know if it works for you
You would see the mats flying around grow room if you had them but adding a potato slice will attract the larve if you do
Happy growing :v:CB

1 Like

True. I also thought the article had a bunch of other great ideas.

1 Like

I read it over quickly and also think it’s a good read
They mention the use of food grade de as well to control larve

thanks for sharing @JimmyBeam
that’s what it’s all about helping each other out and teaching others
Organic soils tend to have more of a Nate issue I’ve noticed as well Over the years
:v: C B

Bti Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis

you need to get the above product, you can get it on ebay mix a strong solution then PH the water to your requirements it will kill the larvae worms which eat the roots of your plants, you need to do it every watering until your ontop of them, i dont have any probs now but still use it at least once a month just in case.

Kill Fungus Gnats with 1 oz GNATROL BTI bacillus thuringiensis israelensis

Brand new

From United States

Seller: organicbti (4,768) 99.7%

Buy It Now

Item: 264084569719

sorry not allowed to put the ebay link on but the sellers details are above and they are in the USA
also if you have any other indoor plants treat them also

1 Like

That sounds like a great preventative. I think I’ll do that. I know knats can be a big problem with organic mulches.

Compliment the Bti Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis @Countryboyjvd1971 with Gnatnix its like a medium made from recycled glass put it as a top dressing and also use the yellow ticky boards also, thats the way i got rid of them, i still use the BTI every other watering just to make sure.

good luck

1 Like

I see that you just joined us well with that "WELCOME TO ILGM "
And our fine community of the most awesome foke around and you’ll find that out your self soon .

Any way I would have told you to use the potatoe deal myself as I do for anyone who has that problem. Never could spell potatoes lol
Hey I did whoooHooo lol
Any way if you need any help at all you can tag me like this @garrigan65
ok

Will

2 Likes

While trying to control them give them something else to eat to divert away from roots

Thankyou @garrigan65Preformatted text will do. one thing when you soak the peat pots, they are kind of wet. I soaked them yesterday while the seeds were soaking, then left the top on the greenhouse overnight. I am planting the seeds in the peat pots today. Should I leave the greenhouse top on?

He actually mentioned he was going to use a potato to see if he had Nats @garrigan62

1 Like

Right, as a preventative a couple days before the babies get transplanted. It seems as though it would be better to treat the soil before planting than after.

1 Like

Def won’t hurt anything
I would leave top on once you pot them @JimmyBeam
And keep lights one 24-7 until they pop

Will do. Thanks.

I know he did. I was just confirming his decision to do so,

1 Like

:+1: Good morning @garrigan62

The thing is the gnats like moist soil so the drier the better to get rid of them. I know the plant needs water but you can give the plant a little to keep going but dry enough to get them dam critters out.

1 Like

Here’s an organic solution utilizing microbes that has Bacillus Thuringensis for gnats and Trichaderma for damping off.

2 Likes

Very interesting - would love to hear results using this in a run!

Gnats don’t form in hydro so can’t help out. Maybe someone else using BT containing innoculant in soil/medium can feed in.