Fungus gnats, mid-late flower

Hello,

My plants are all mid to late flower and they are all looking great. I noticed today when I watered that there were a lot of larvae in the coco and my yellow traps are catching a lot compared to just a few weeks ago. I understand that they wint really do too much damage at this point but I still want to get rid of them.

I was going to try hydrogen peroxide and according to this site I should use 3%. I’m bad at math, so if I fill my bucket with 5 gallons of water should I be using 2.4 cups of hydrogen peroxide? Or should I use Neem Oil? I don’t have a sprayer so I will just be treating the soil

1 Like

Here are a few picture’s of the plants. Thanks in advance!!

1 Like

Also I realize I probably caused this by overwatering, so I will back off. I’ve been giving .5 gal for 3 gallons of medium every 2-3 days. Too much?

Never use neem oil in flower.

Seems reasonable, but I would add until you get 20% run off.
Captain Jacks can be added to the soil to manage the larvae. You won’t kill them all this far along, but you’ll kill a significant amount.

4 Likes

Thanks ill get some captain jacks!

1 Like

@Covertgrower for captain jacks do I mix in with water and just water normally or do I need to spray the entire plant?

1 Like

You can spray the entire plant, but I don’t feel it’s necessary, unless you have a pest issue you never mentioned. Jacks is safe for flowering.
Yes I would mix in with the nutrients and water into the soil.

3 Likes

Perfect, thanks! No other pest issues as far as I know!

1 Like

Yellow sticky traps work good in conjunction with other means.

1 Like

I personally haven’t had any pest issues yet, so I used some on my girls plants outside and it killed the gnats that were hovering around her plants, killed some ants and spiders too but to be fair, I may have drowned the spider. Supposedly u can use this stuff while it’s flowering, spray directly on whatever ur trying to kill. It works. My dad recommended it, he swears by it and says using it while it’s flowering really is safe to do. It’s cheap, cost me like $5 at Walmart

3 Likes

@NYDon just set up a bunch of them!

@JiggaMan1987 I just ordered some captain jacks but ill have to check this out next time!

1 Like

You need a bti product, like mosquito bits to kill the larvae. Then just keep sticky traps up and they will drop. Spinosad is great product, but probably not going to help you much with gnats.

4 Likes

I agree with @dbrn32 Jacks is spinosad and it did nothing for my gnats. Mosquito bits on the soil and a combo of Dr Zymes, the Safer brand Soap and Dr. Bronners soap… every other day alternating with one of the three. It didn’t get rid of them but kept them at bay until I could harvest

5 Likes

If you are growing in soil or coco, then also hang some sticky traps just above the drip trays and below the top of the pots / bags. Fungus gnats love feeding off the algae / residue in the drip trays / saucers too. The breeze from your fans will make the yellow traps sway and attract them to their death.
I have just started trying this and its working well. Also have them staked into your medium for the ones living above.
Mosquito bits or DE work well too

2 Likes

As @Covertgrower stated on the Capt Jacks. I’ll add mosquito bits or diatomaceous Earth. I’ve gone through 2 bottles of Capt jacks on this run, I top layer DE followed by spraying the jacks on top of the DE. I also layer my medium with Mosquito bits. :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

I to use DE, Mosquito Bits & Capt. Jack’s.

When DE gets wet it is no longer effective.

3 Likes

A layer of play sand on top of the coco will fix your problem.

1 Like

I just watched something about this you use turmeric you put one teaspoon of turmeric in one ltr of water and give it to ur plants it gets rid of fungus nats

1 Like

Right you are brother, most folks make a liquid spray using DE and water to spray affected areas, but only works when it dries. Works this way for common household insects around the house, hard to keep it dry on top of damp medium. I’ll layer a coat when I notice the top surface is dry enough. :love_you_gesture: