Fungus? disease? just bad PH again? rust spots on leaves!

Hello again guys!

In my previous post
I was running into PH problems where as it turns out, the PH was way too high.
I have since got that problem to cease, but then… I ran into Mites (yay!) I have been battling those pesky buggers with some solution from the local hydro store and it seems to be working albeit very slowly and probably not 100%. They seem almost impossible to wipe out. However, now I am seeing the pictured problem and again… as my previous post said… it’s getting worse rapidly.

Here is a picture:

Is this a fungus? is this possibly because my PH is too low now? I took the advice of someone in the previous post and bought that exact PH meter and now when I feed my plants, with nutrients and water combined, the ph is right at 5.5, sometimes its 5.7. This is using the flower nutrients.

I’m concerned maybe I’ve gone too far in the wrong direction, however, the local weed shop and the hydro store both say 5.5-6.0 is where I want to be.

My third plant is already on the way (3 weeks from seed now) and is absolutely THRIVING on the 5.5 PH watering solution which is using the vegetative nutrients. I would post a picture but all the ones I have are under purple light and you guys hate that (for good reason) I’ll get some pictures of it when its bigger and close to flower.

The plant in question (with the issue) is also likely potted in Miracle Grow soil (yes, i know now that is complete garbage) and the new plant is back in Happy Frog soil. that third plant is doing so well so I’m pretty confident my PH is right and all is well with that guy.

At this point I’m just trying to salvage the 2nd plant (the bad one) and its been in flower now for 2 weeks or so. Do i just need to adjust my PH to be closer to 6.0-6.3 to counterbalance the garbage soil it is in or do i just need to let this plant finish its flower, harvest what I can, and move on.

Also, another thing I find quite peculiar which is why i think it could be a fungus issue as well, if you look down at the plant from the top, and virtually divide it into 4 quadrants, it seems only the top left quadrant has this issue. It IS spreading but the entire plant is not suffering from it so that leaves me to believe it might not be the PH?

Anyway, i’m confident you guys can get me in the right direction. I have learned SO MUCH from the utter failure of this second plant and am so excited to get the 4th one started and the 3rd one into flower!!

Thanks in advance!!!
PS. I hate spider mites. HATE them. stupid things. grrrrr.

have you seen any nats flying around? put some fly paper out and see if u catch anything

Looks like possible nute splash ? And I would adjust your ph for sure 6.2-6.4

You got the Apera pH tester? Nice. The water should be 6.5pH. Hydroponics are supposed to be at 5.8. Soil is 6.5.

Got any pics of your plants you can post?

The issue with the miracle-gro soil is that many of their soils they got out there has time release capsules that slowly release over time. So if you are also adding nutrients, you can get a build up in your soil. Do you have a TDS/ppm meter? You can measure the ppms of your run-off to get a sense of how loaded the soil is.

why does Robert say 6 but everywhere here on the forum we say 6.3-6.8 or 6.5

This is the chart that is commonly posted that I always reference:

Hello!
That is some good information. It seems I’m definitely too low on my pH so that will start to be adjusted tonight.
Yes, I got the Apera pH tester. It’s pretty cool.

Here are some pictures:
Problem Plant:

I tried to show some different angles, etc. You can see the massive mite damage as well as the current “rust spots” issue.

I also wanted to show some pictures of my new plant and how amazing it’s doing. it’s getting 5.5 ph’d water and is in soil so maybe I should start to raise that up a bit as well? Zero problems on her yet though.
Sexy Plant:

Sorry for the purple pictures but wanted to show you the entire setup with the lights on.

Finally, here is what I’m using to battle the mites (hard to say if its successful, they aren’t gone but they aren’t covering every leaf anymore either) as well as the nutrients I use for veg and flower.

Thank you! 6.5 pH into the problem plant starting tonight!

I had mites and aphids. I used a 1:9 hydrogen peroxide to water spray for a few weeks, which put a dent but didn’t eliminate them, and then unloaded 1500 ladybugs into my grow room. The LBs massacred the mites and aphids. It was impressive. The downside - they get out - you don’t put them into your grow room, you invite them into your house. Everybody loves lady bugs until they are crawling on you in the middle of the night.

5 Likes

Thats to funny