From the tent to outdoor?

I currently have 3 gsce autos growing in my tent. They are on week 9 from sprouting. All 3 are doing really good but I’m really tempted to stick one outside til finish. I’m in the az desert and have plenty of sun and the temps are ranging from low 40’s at night to high 70’s-low 80’s during the day. Almost perfect for finishing i think… Has anyone tried this with autos? I have a full tent right now and I feel like it might be worth a shot. I know you should never say this but, whats the worse that can happen? I lose the plant? Would it increase the chance of going hermite? So many questions! Thanks grow gang!

2 Likes

*hermie

I would only suggest to bring the plant in at night for both security and to avoid the low temps. You might get a color response but you will kill it lol. Other than that, the plant will likely thrive.

3 Likes

@Myfriendis410 What would be the lowest Temps it could handle? Those lows won’t last much longer. Thank you for your response. Im more of a lingerer and I’ve definitely used your advice so far!

1 Like

Don’t hesitate to stick your nose in things: you will be amazed at all you’ll get out of it.

I would not be comfortable having plants below 50F, give or take. You might get away with a bit cooler if it’s dry (being where you are is likely). Put it out and see: you’ve got more inside.

3 Likes

Yeah the only thing for me would be the temperature swing a couple of hours in full sun to see how they take it

1 Like

You are correct!

Looking at that makes me think its just too dam dry for normal life for anything! Hahahaha! I love my desert though!

4 Likes

That was my thought more than anything else. We have sun a plenty here. May as well use it. Its just too hot to do a full outdoor grow here. Its possible for sure but I’m not ready for that yet

1 Like

Yeah definitely live in a desert too , those scorching hot days all day , will do wonder once adapted for sure , if you have it directly in the sun , a plastic container maybe a bucket to keep moisture from evaporation too fast once she’s in full summer sun

2 Likes

Read the great Edward Abbey: he’s buried under a pile of rocks somewhere outside of Tucson. One of the great authors of the 20th Century.

3 Likes

How do I not know about him? I’m a heavy reader and live in Tucson. Thanks for the lead on something cool!

1 Like

I hike a bunch too so I might have to go look for him

1 Like

“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds” ~ Edward Abbey

Oh my. I might have a new rabbit hole to dive into later. Thanks again @Myfriendis410 !

1 Like

Any recommendations to start with?!

The Monkey Wrench Gang is his most popular work.

Desert Solitaire was his first: he was the only park ranger to last more than one season at Arches Monument (he called it ‘Money-mint’ haha). He was there for 7! He’s still famous for starting a fake ‘eruption’ with old tires in a caldera outside Albuquerque when he was in college. There’s a documentary on him on Amazon or Netflix that’s worth watching too.

How could I forget: his book “The Brave Cowboy” was made into a movie starring Gregory Peck called “Lonely are the Brave”.

Hope that helps.

You occasionally see a bumper sticker on cars that says: “Hayduke Lives!”

You’ll understand.

3 Likes

Thank you! Got my headlamp on and about to dive into the hole!

1 Like

9% yikes I choked when I saw that lol… they tend to get bigger outside because of the open space… things usually grownacording to the confinement status… u dont see ficus trees grown inside… they grow ficus bonsai…and the big ones are allnaturaaal… weeds the same way… you can grow big plants in side hut to get the plant to get light throughout the plant you will need to surround the plant with light… the sun moves so it hits all sides of big plants inside and out… 1 fixed light in a tent is gonna have a realy hard time doing that… so that being said watch for rain storms in flower and dont let them get to dry in that desert :sunglasses::v:

2 Likes

@Oheeeoh didnt you stick your White Widow outside? :v:

@Calizona im up north of you a couple hours, we just moved here to AZ and the amount of sunlight is amazing! I cant wait to get settled enough to drop seeds! Im looking forward to the results your grow!

1 Like

Yup. I transplanted 2 white widow autos out to my backyard. I think I moved them around March 1st? I know it was the first week we had where no night time temps were forecasted to dip below 50 degrees.

One went into an octopot: Here is a picture of that plant from a couple days ago:

The other one I transplanted directly into the soil. (sorry no recent picture of that plant). It is also a small plant but looks healthy. I’ll keep caring for it as long as it’s still alive and healthy.

I’m almost sure what has hurt me most is the weather. Our March seemed colder than average. Had a few really windy days and my plants were both rained on 3 times in 3 weeks. I’m OK with that way it’s gone. I’ve learned some things and still have a chance to get something to smoke to compensate for my efforts. :smiley:

2 Likes

If your plants are in a fabric pot, maybe dig a hole in your back yard just larger than the pot, and set the pot in the hole. You can still pick the pot up and out of the hole to water it, but the ground will provide a more stable temperature for the root ball if it’s surrounded by the ground instead of air and sunlight. Those black fabric pots will absorb a LOT of heat if you let the sunlight shine directly on them.

2 Likes