From Solo Cup to Ground?

You can go to a 1 gallon nursery bag and just plant the bags very cheap on Amazon

3 Likes

Don’t forget to harden them off first if you can. Survival rate will go up but as discussed solo to ground is fine if it’s warm enough and there are enough hours of light. Go for it. Outside grows are great.

6 Likes

Only thing I can say if noone has yet is if it is in a direct sunny area for a little bit here and there I’d get a table or chair to put by it and shade it at times and let the sun peek around the chair and get to the plant slowly to harden it up to the outside elements. Too much sun at first can shock them and make them wilt over. But if they r a descent size already I’d just worry about getting them where the sun’s not burning them. The shade is the trick let it get sun and light but not all at once right off the rip by a week of being outside should be okay enough to be able to just leave it. E unless u see the sun is not changing leaf colors too fast. If they appear to be getting line green I’d shade them a bit. Also if hott out make sure u water the soil super super good so the plant has enough liquids for the heat and sun so it don’t dehydrate. Good luck.

5 Likes

Nice Brother…I didn’t know they made them that big. I’ve used the seedling nursery bags, excellent bags for outside transplanting…just drop the bag in a hole :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

The bags are 9.8x11 there about a gallon there great

2 Likes

Right on Brother Dave, appreciate that info :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

I simply wanted to clarify root pruning is predicated on the intended purpose. I have rooted clones that I need to keep small. Wack wack - no problem. If I wanted to grow them out right away I would not cut them.

2 Likes

@Teri I appreciate your concern. My alternatives are limited due space, lighting, and available time.

1 Like

Hi all-
Here at THUNDERDOME, we push the ladies into uncomfortable situations yearly. A little botany Darwinism, no?
I am aware your original question mentioned the ground-but indulge me for a few,yes?!

My “go,” date is usually April 28th. What I do is start the seeds under a LED light a week before. As soon as I see a taproot out of the bottom of the seedling tray,I move them outside. I am aware that nature can be cruel. So before I put them on a greyhound bus to Hollywood-I give em a little bit of TLC. They end up in 25gallon Rain science bags. I may not be no till any longer,but definitely ROLS (recycled organic living soil)

I used to utilize solo cups for seedlings,but became obsessed with trying to get thay infamous taproot acclimated and deep into their final resting place.
The plastic cups were take out containers for Thai food. I took a large screwdriver and heated the tips to make holes for air. My biggest problem was critters,so here we are.
I do utilize red solo cups for my clones. Only because the situation in the California bay area is HELLA people grow. Its best to grab a clone of your liking early,and sit on it until June. We wont talk about stoners and websites and inventory that is not current. I thought I saw Strawberry Cough clones-turns out they were STARBERRY COUGH clones-and even then,they were out of stock. SNAFU,and BOHICA (Military jokes)

Happy growing!!
SL out.

4 Likes

YES! Definitely gonna look into this for my next grow!

1 Like

@Slug_Life I only know FUBAR.

2 Likes

High,
Had an accident and I broke one in two. I immediately put the top in the same cup and she’s growin new roots. Kinda like a clone I guess. I’m gonna keep special care of her this summer. You can see the other part on the right side. The thin sprout
Happy growin

Ger

4 Likes

Yeah Well my plants don’t go into the ground,but from experience I do the two solo cup thing inner cup has drainage holes and is transparent the outer cup is a colored solo (non see through)…I germ them then transfer them to the inner cup filled with FF and a lil peat.Under T-5 lights and in a week or two I put them into their final spot which is a fabric pot. Ive had zero issues doing it this way. There are a number of ways that many users do this differently…Its something you’ll have to try here and there until you find what works best for you and your babies! Happy Growing!

3 Likes

I use these and then cut the bottom out when I plant them in their forever homes
This way I didn’t disturb the roots …the plants never seem to notice

3 Likes

UPDATE: Just took them to their new home. Light layer of mulch for insulation, some top soil…and that’s it!

I have to research the “when and what kind” for nutes, but at least they are in ground. Any suggestions welcome. I have a few more coming behind these so I will be able to see if I need to change my approach.

6 Likes

@idunno814 They look good! I just put mine in the ground yesterday, too. Now we wait…

1 Like

Just put mine in the ground. Yours looks great

4 Likes

I do not work for Jeremy at Build-a-soil. But I do recommend something from the site. Maybe Craft Blend,some dried coconut water,dried Aloe flakes,just to name a few.
Hope it helps.
Happy growing! :+1:

SL out.

1 Like

UPDATE:

Well… Both my plants were eaten by groundhogs. UGH.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

Good thing I sprouted extra that are ready to be put in the ground now.

Bought some garden fencing and some repellent to help discourage them from digging under the fence.

Hope it works! I’m running out of “learning plants”!!!

5 Likes

Oh no!

That’s so sad

2 Likes