From germination they grew at an extremely slow rate

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

I recently started growing for the first time and its going ok. I would just really appreciate any feedback on an issue I’m having. I followed all of your tips to the tee (really great work) and I have very good air circulation, good lighting, adequate watering etc. I started my seeds on the 20th of Feb, they germinated very well and have developed their true leaves well. However about 5 days ago I gave them slightly too much nutrients and water, so I suspect I stunted their growth for about 4 days (thats how long it took me to realize) and I promptly poked holes in the soil and the soil dried an inch deep the very next day. Now it may not seem like an issue, but from germination they grew at an extremely slow rate. I did say their true leaves have now grown but they are still not bigger than the original leaves still after 18 days? I have done some research and have looked at the pictures you have provided on your website and I notice by the stage I’m at everyone elses seedlings are much bigger and have grown their 3rd node and bigger?

There is a good chance I’m wrong but that is why I’m asking for help as you have lots more experience than I do and any help would greatly appreciated! Just as extra info I have no idea what the strain or type of seeds I got and I live in South Africa with a hot climate, relatively high humidity and we are now basically at the end of Summer going into Autumn

to better help would you fill out this support ticket and if you can upload a picture, that would help a lot!
@Countryboyjvd1971 @garrigan65

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA
Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA
Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?
System type?
PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?
What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS
Indoor or Outdoor
Light system, size?
Temps; Day, Night
Humidity; Day, Night
Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
Co2; Yes, No
Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you

Just water your plants for now when needed that should help wash away the nutrients you gave them and no more nutrients ok…They will come around, so hang in there and each strain grows differently then the other, And you don’t know what strain they are so can’t help, you there.
But please keep us posted and " Welcome To ILGM " We will do our best to help you…ok ?

Will

I hit mine with nutrients to early and one loved it and the other stunted severly. They ate both ilgm wwa and one is 12 in tall and starting to flower and one is 4 inches and way behind. They sprouted 1 day apart and the one that spouted 2nd is the bigger one. If you didn’t kill it it will come back just at a delay

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place just thought to reply directly to your post. oh and I noticed they do look a bit better I gave them a light watering yesterday but I may sound weird but do you not agree for 19 days now they are quite small?? I started them on 20th Feb
Strain = NA; Type = I have no idea NA, Bag seed = NA
Soilless mixture in pots - its a germination mix of peat moss (if Im not mistaken) some composted elements and vermiculite)
PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?
Strength of nutrient mix = 6.25ml to 1L water at a quarter strength
Indoor
Light system = two top market CFL bulbs (was on a budget) per 45cm dome shaped light fixtures sitting at about 5.5 cm above tops of seedlings
Temps; Day = about an average of 30 Celsius , Night = a low of 17 Celsius
Humidity; Day = an average of 69%, Night = a high of around 80%
Ventilation system; Yes = a window right behind seedlings (lol)
Just have a big oscillating fan
Co2 = Yes
P.S sorry about all the metric measurements and you will notice the two seedlings to the top right dont look so great… one has nute burn the other is twisting and cupping and tips of leaves are drooping.

Over-watering would cause all of your issues… :wink: also there way too young to be giving nutrients… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

They work on build a root system the first few weeks so Little upward growth happens be patient they will grow
You’ve been given some good advice so far and meet a few of our members I recommend to do as instructed water with proper ph water when needed and no nutrients until they get bigger
Patients is a mush when growing anything especially cannabis
Welcome to the forum @DavidJG
As @garrigan65 we will do our best to assist you

I also think you’re ok. A little behind at 3 weeks but it seems like your soil/water/nute situation hasn’t been optimal. Just get your watering right and they should soon take off.

On a good note, they aren’t all stretched out like we see so often. You obviously have your lighting dialed in for the early part.

yah thnx for the feedback everyone I will definitely wait on the nutrients and yah thnx phantom farmer but it is pretty demotivating especially looking at those two seedlings at the top. I would just like to ask everyone is there a specific schedule, amount and frequency to watering the seedlings in the growing medium I have because I didnt realize to what extent the marijuana seedlings are so susceptible to being overwatered compared to the vegetables I have growing?! Thnx for anymore feedback

They’re not really that different from veggies. The best way to not over water is to use a sprayer instead of just pouring water on them. Once they get out of their seedling stage it gets a little easier. You can check by weight, just picking up the pot to feel how heavy it is. I find that when they’re still small, they only need a watering about once a week. It depends on a lot of factors though, like the size of the pot compared to how rootbound they are, or how hot and humid it is.
Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

I’m the king of overwatering, or at least I used to be. You’re definitely flying by the seat of your pants because there are too many variables to prescribe a schedule. The weight of the pot is really the best indicator. Now that you’re aware of it I’m sure you’ll get it sorted out.

Last year I overwatered one just before I set it outside and it took a couple of WEEKS before it looked right again. It finished 7’ tall and 5’ around.

It wouldn’t hurt, @DavidJG to check your PH. I just looked back at your support ticket and see you don’t have it listed.

@DavidJG no direct water and no nutrients until at least 3 sets of leaves depending on how hot the soil is you’re using. I use a plant mister on the leaves and right at the base on seedlings that small. The mister is really all you need until they get going good. Much easier to control how much water they get. Make sure you keep the pH at 6.3 to 6.7 and they will start popping more leaves soon.

Wow ok Ill just a mister, pick up the pot to see how heavy it is, no nutrients until later and try and get my pH tested… thnx for all the tips guys!!