Friend told me his budd was too dry, I gave it to him at 62%

After curing for 2 weeks and getting the jar to 62% I gave some to a buddy to try. He just told me he’s upset, didn’t like it. I asked why and he said the budd got dry and fell apart, burnt too quickly. What is this? Poor storage? Because I have given some to others and they loved it and claimed no issues.
I just took some, put it in a bag and going to let it sit and then check for myself as all my budd is fine.
I always store with the 62% bag, is that the problem here?
Does this happen to local guys with a farming hobby?
What is the issue? Just wondering? Thanks in advance.

6 Likes

“Gave,” and he complained?

18 Likes

He could have left it out for several hours. Make him pay for it next time and see if he complains :love_you_gesture:

17 Likes

Cross that “buddy” off your list. Or remind him to keep in a sealed container and not in his pocket.

16 Likes

I agree with them :point_up_2:.

Tell him to attempt to rehydrate it.

Some people just need to sh!t on others……

10 Likes

I took over samples to my oldest that seemed dry to me. I started to tell her how to rehydrate and she said “I know how Mom”. She is 33…

10 Likes

I know where we stand now, tell him grow his own :metal:

11 Likes

If you’re relying on those mini hygrometers in your jars or bags to determine the moisture content, that could be part of the issue. Of course it’s possible there’s nothing wrong with it and your friend is just really picky, but the readings on those mini hygrometers are way too inaccurate for what we’re doing. I got an inexpensive moisture meter at Home Depot and tossed about 50 of the mini hygrometers in the garbage.
I had these ones on my kitchen table for several days, and they never got even close to syncing up. I’ve also used sharpies on jars where I thought the readings were suspect, and switched them around between jars then compared readings. Every way I used to test them, they failed, lol.
Now I use the moisture meter to make sure I’m jarring it at the right time, and everything goes much smoother.

10 Likes

@Cap_Ron That’s an excellent comparison!! I ran into the exact same issue albeit with a lot less meters lol!!

3 Likes

The unfortunate truth is that I ruined the smell in multiple jars of great buds because I believed the readings on those pieces of junk. They could easily make you think your buds were over dried and need to be rehydrated, or vice versa, when they were actually perfect. It took me many grows and lots of mistakes to finally figure out how far off those things could be. And they actually get worse as they age. For a while I had the ones that tested better marked so I knew which ones were closer to accurate, but over time they all get worse.

6 Likes

Find a new buddy to share you Bud with… Hey good oh buddy it’s been awhile… :rofl::rofl::crazy_face::crazy_face: Shouldn’t get upset over free weed… so he say anything about the high? F**k him :grin:

4 Likes

I use those mini hygrometers as a reference but the final decision is based on feel and texture. I like my flower to be a bit ‘leathery’ and the flower can be squashed easily without crumbling.

10 Likes

Yea, it wasn’t a big deal, a buddy, a vet, down on his luck

3 Likes

Thanks all! I am using those little things to check the jars. That might be it, I can get a real one no problem and check.
When I pick up the budd it isn’t that dry IMO. I had some in my back pocket and it squished and was dense when it was smoked. Seemed properly hydrated???

I also gave some to other guys who didn’t let it sit for days and they loved it, I love it. Thought it was my best yet. Ok I’ll wait till my experiment is complete, lol. I’m doing what he said he did with it…just kept it in a plastic bag in house. In winter.

2 Likes

Capt. Can you give me a good hydrometer that I can purchase??? I’ll go look, but a good tip is always top notch. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I do the same thing. I usually order 10 packs. I line them up and let them sit a day or two. I find those with the common rh, then the next closest + - 1, then the next + - 2. Hopefully 6 or 7 are within 1%. I pull the batteries and toss the crappy ones.

4 Likes

I’ve never found better ones, and I’ve tried them from a few different brands.
I learned here in the forum about moisture meters, and since I started doing it that way I don’t need to monitor the jars that closely anymore. I jar buds when they’re at 11-13% moisture, then burp on a proper schedule. Like someone above said, you get used to going by feel, appearance, and smell. When I’m burping jars I know which ones I want to leave open a little longer or shorter.
The moisture meter was only around 30 bucks, and it really helped me to know when it was time to trim and jar, it takes the guess work out of it.

7 Likes

YUP. Electricity aint cheap

2 Likes

My first “gifted” jar went to a King Tide Christmas recipient.
Their first floor and cars became under water with the freq flooding.
I sent the jar at 62% with a 2 month jar-burping cure.
Isolating before wife’s surgery, so i wont see them for a week.
Anxiously awaiting judgement and further comments.
I saw the biggest smile when he opened the gift. His first true laugh in a month.
Some people have it worse than me, without trying.

3 Likes

Some people are never satisfied, just the way it goes. I’ve been in similar situation we’re an individual has something nagative to say, it’s like they are jealous that you know how to grow on your own and they don’t. Let them buy from the dispensary at an insane price, they’ll be begging for yours saying how good it is.

2 Likes