Fresh water flush

Question for the group. Doing a fresh water flush to bring my soil ph down Another slurry test done last night shows my ph at 7.1. I use R.O. water that tests out at 7.8 ph and 0020 ppm before adding anything. I recall being advised to add CaiMagic to the fresh water flush but now am unable to locate that post… should I add the calimagic - or go “competely fresh” with nothing added whatsoever ?

1 Like

Adding R/O straight will not move your media’s PH at all. You have to have dissolved solids in your liquid to ‘force’ the media up. Also; you can not get an accurate PH off of straight R/O water as there is little to nothing to conduct. So; you get wonky readings. I water my plants daily and on water-only days I don’t even bother to PH: just pour it in.

Now if you think a flush will reset your PH then you might want to use a product like Flora Kleen or Sledgehammer and follow their instructions. If that doesn’t help; a couple of tablespoons of dolomite lime top-dressed on the media may help.

2 Likes

I was reading a package dolomite lime just looked up online…on the package it says it raises the ph… I’m looking to reduce the soil ph…could you explain further please.

2 Likes

It will raise it to mid 6’s (or lower it). It acts as a buffer to maintain PH. I’ve never needed to use it but others have. Let me tag an outdoor grower and let him get in on this: @Big123 are you on this side?

Be warned he grows BIG plants in BIG containers.

1 Like

I’m in a 4x4 indoor. 2nd grow. High ph always an issue for me…yellowing leaves etc… even though my nute solution is always in 6.4-6.57 range and always us r.o… just dont know what do to and in need of some real correxrive guidance here.I’m 5 months in, should be done by now…was told not to go into flower until get ph stabilized otherwise is a waste…please please please help me

1 Like

Happy cake :cake: day @sandrums

You may need some Gypsum, I would add earthworm castings too.

1 Like

I figured you’d have some clue haha.

1 Like

Thank you for the tag @Myfriendis410

@sandrums What size containers are you sporting?

1 Like

Gypsum eh… ok I go pick some up…5 gal fabric pots. Here’s some info on my grow that I sent to someone but got no response on…see below…

ello. Ok I’m reaching our again for assistance.I read the info you sent and get it, but apparently I do not understand how to properly fix it. I am still having a ph problem with a bubble gum auto and appears combined with periodic cal/mag deficiency. Got some serious yellowing going on. I am using r.o.water that tests out initially at ph 8.2 and about 0020 ppm. Using a non nutrient soil mix medium ( not MG or FF) and 3 bottles general hydroponics nutes and calimagic. I test my ph after adding cal mag and nutes . Ph of nute solution is always in 6.4-6.57 range and ppms around 850‐870. My last watering Sunday eve was fresh r.o water with calmag mixed at 1 tsp/gal ph reduced to 6.52. Did a slurry test with distilled water again tonight tests at 7.48 at 121 ppm. I water about every 2 3 days- when pots are light. Freshwater plus cal mag every 3rd watering ( nute, nute, fresh) Running HLG 2x qb 288 xls in a 4 x 4. 19/5 lights on/off. Cloudline ventilation. Humidity 60%. I am also growing a Gelato non auto. Much more lush and a darker green color like it should be but also showing some signs on upper growth. My plants are Likely Due for watering tomorrow. Kindly assist me please before I do so if at all possible.

Thank you both for your continued assistance

Autos prefer less fertilizer and nutrients, and can mostly get by with what’s in the soil. I never feed them anything until well into the bloom cycle if needed.

Have you tried a teaspoon of Epsom salt per gallon of water for a treat?

No I have not tried epsom salt. I did get both gypsum and earthworm castings and looked at direction which said for a 12 in pot a few tblspns of gypsum and about 1/8 inch layer of castings over the tip which I mixed into the top layer before today’s watering. Thanks for the assistance and advice… will keep you posted on progress.

Thanks
SN

1 Like

Thanks for the referral to big123 !

1 Like