Foxtailing? Pretty sure, but what should I do?

We continued it on the cannakitchen thread. :grinning:

2 Likes

@Nothingshocking

As far as your gorilla glue goes.

Iā€™m not sure why your stem rotted so I didnā€™t have any comment to make on that. But, the frying of the leaves I would like to comment on.

This is just an observation by lowly me, so you can take it for what itā€™s worth.

I have been experimenting with ā€œhow much light is too much lightā€ this last year and only have a few grows of observation under my belt, but Iā€™ve gone as much as 65 watts of LEDs per foot and my plant ended up looking like yours. It was a gold leaf that was suppose to flower in nine weeks, yet it had plenty of amber trichomes and it was certainly done at seven weeks, kind of like you are experiencing.

My current grow I was using about 45 watts/sq foot and at about week 4 of flower started experiencing a similar burning. I immediately throttled the light back to about 30 watt/ft and the burning stopped. Now Iā€™m experimenting with 45w/sq ft for just part of the 12 hour light cycle and 30w the remainder. Iā€™m close to finishing the grow now.

What I think is happening is that the extra bright lights are creating a need for a far more aggressive feeding schedule to keep up with the demands of the light since there needs to be a balance between them. More nutrients require more flushing to remove buildup and keep things in balance. I wish I knew what the solution was, still early in my experiments, but the one thing I think you can do with the gorilla glue to keep it from getting worse is to decrease the light intensity.

I hope I said something that helps in some way.

6 Likes

On that same note, intense light causes your plant to eat up calcium and magnesium really fast.

3 Likes

@CMichGrower I have a feeling youā€™re probably right. I grew a long time ago, and my harvest was disappointing. I thought for 20 years that insufficient light was the reason, so this time I took the opposite approach. Push it hard with light and tend to the plantā€™s needs as they arise. It was going really well until it didnā€™t and now Iā€™m left with the aftermath. Iā€™m going to cut it back the watts/sq ft in the future. Thanks for your advice,

3 Likes

Im not saying you canā€™t push the lights, Iā€™m just saying you have to be more aggressive in the feeding. As @blackthumbbetty noted, I treated for a calcium, mostly and magnesium, to a lessor extent, deficiency but it was too late. When the leaves eventually burn up its hard knowing exactly what they needed.

I think the timing is critical and from what I and others like you have experienced the deficiency starts to showing in the weeks 3-5 of flowering and once it starts it goes fast.

I have 3 plants in their 4th week of vegging and will start flowering soon. Iā€™m going to push the lights again on one at 45 watt sq foot and at another, 35 watt sq ft. They will be on the same feed schedule but Iā€™m going to start extra high doses of calcium and magnesium as soon as I start flowering and see what happens. The third girl goes under a 600 watt HPS lamp and will be on same feed schedule and growing medium as the others.

In a couple months Iā€™d let you know how my experiment turned out, but my memory is sometimes clouded if you know what I mean, so I probably wonā€™t remember.

4 Likes

@Nothingshocking donā€™t forget that the symptoms of overwatering actually look a lot like the plant is not getting enough water. Iā€™m only new to this too but what I think you may have done is mistakenly not recognised these symptoms for what they really are and have over watered to compensate for what you thought wasnā€™t enough water, which has in turn killed off your roots with rot as @Caligurl has rightly pointed out above :point_up_2:

Hey mate, itā€™s all lessons learnt. Next time, I bet you wonā€™t repeat these mistakes :purple_heart:

3 Likes

That deficiency could be a lockout, especially at that time.

2 Likes

Correctionā€¦ just re-read it and that should read 23 mg

2 Likes

Lol. I figured that when I read it. I was like damnā€¦this girl puts 2320 mg In each serving? Lol. Damn sheā€™s for real!, :joy:.

2 Likes

@Nicky sorry to bug youā€¦ The feeding chart with the ratiosā€¦ does this mean you just feed them once a week, or you water that mixture at every watering?

I was giving fertilizer at half strength every watering which was also every day and probably what went wrong with my plant.

The Gorilla Glue is still alive, the fan leaves are continuing to yellow, but the sugar leaves are green still. Iā€™m getting some purple pistils now too, and still not many red hairs so itā€™s got some time to go. The buds are getting heavy and need support now. Iā€™m going to make an after the fact scrog net to provide support. The other plant never got that way, so I think this will end up better.

I gave it some of the new fertilizer today - thanks for the schedule - just wondering when I feed them next.

Change it every week but feed it as much as needed.
In hydro your reservoir stays the same all week and in coco you would feed that all Durring thst week but the next week you would feed differently.
Feed them evey time they need liquid

1 Like

@Nicky Thanks!

1 Like

@Caligurl @NugFlush @blackthumbbetty

I finally got the time to give QWET a try. I have a ton of immature stuff from the plant that died early in this thread. I have had it drying in a Wedryer basically since the plant died, so totally completely dry now and it smells better than the stuff Iā€™ve been curing from the same harvest oddly.

Anyway - here is 2 oz of dried weed crumbled with my fingers to about rice size as best I could

I decarbed it in 3 jars at about 240 degrees for 60 min, Iā€™m worried it was too much

I filled the jars just over the weed and shook for 5 min each, then freezer for 15 min, then shake for 1 min, then freezer for 15 min, then shake for 1 min. let sit for 5 min

then strain through a coffee filter

I thought this step would be easy, but it was not. I put a coffee filter over the jar and let it drip. seriously took foreverā€¦ drip drip drip

There must be a better way

I tried my best, and wringed out the mixture through the filer when it was done, the result is this coffee looking mixture. Itā€™s drying with a cheesecloth over it in this silicon dish recommended by caligurl

and hereā€™s my gorilla glue, officially 3 months old today, Iā€™m doing everything I can to keep her alive including building this stand, lol, she was getting heavy. I think sheā€™s as far along as the Zkittlez when it died, so everything beyond this is an improvement

7 Likes

@Nothingshocking

I use cheesecloth and a potato ricer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078B9QNBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

Looks good man. I just finished a batch over the wknd. I used @blackthumbbetty recipe from another post. It was good, but she adds espresso powder. I didnā€™t realize how strong it wasā€¦has a bitter coffee after taste. But they are strong. Next time Iā€™ll omit the espresso. What ya going to make? Chocolate, ? brownies,? cookies? Let me know how they turn out. :+1:

2 Likes

@nugflush I was thinking just chocolates to start as I think that will be the toughest to mess up. Just hoping they turn out, about half the booze evaporated overnight, Iā€™m thinking I may have used too much. Just looking for a good result this time I can try to build on for next time, and some type of yield quantity expectation from dry herb to qwet concentrate.

2 Likes

It took well over 2 full days for mine to evaporate. Just donā€™t let it dry too much. I think that was my problem my first time, the wax kind of turned little dried out. But my second time worked out better. I got right at 6 grams of concentrate from 1oz bud.

3 Likes

I leave a small fan blowing over the top and it evaporates a bit quicker. But it still does take a bit of time.

3 Likes

Yeaā€¦I did that too. But I think lil too much. Lol

3 Likes

@emgoldslo @NugFlush yeah Iā€™ve got a fan going, I would be thrilled with a 6 gm to 1 ounce ratio.

Have you eaten the edibles yet? did the dosing come out as you expected?

Iā€™m still not exactly sure how to judge the potency of the final productā€¦ If itā€™s 50% THC vs 75% thatā€™s going to be a big difference in the final product.

1 gram qwet at 50% TCH would make 5 chocolate bars with 100mg THC each, maybe Iā€™ll start there and sample for potency. Iā€™m kind of worried I will give someone (my gf etcā€¦) without a tollerance too much of a THC dose.

2 Likes