Foxtailing? Pretty sure, but what should I do?

Sorry! LOL! I guess @NugFlush and I did take over your post.

2 Likes

@Caligurl, no problem. You saved my thread about a plant that failed.

I performed a post-mortem when I removed all of the remaining buds. I had noticed that about an inch and a half off the bottom, the main stem was discolored at the same time I saw the top of the plant bleach and start to what I thought was foxtailing. This section of the stem was dead and dry as opposed to above and below where there was still green and some moisture. Somehow the stem rotted??? or something similar. I think the top of the plant bleached because it was no longer receiving water as the base of the stem must have already died and the light was very strong on the top of the cola.

Anyway I ended up with an lot of extremely immature buds, like well over 2 ounces - I havenā€™t weighed yet as they are still drying, they are unsmokeable but sticky, so a perfect project to try the QWET. The rest of the harvest is on day 3 of cure, it definitely gets you stoned, but doesnā€™t taste great. It will probably be another QWET project a month or so down the road when the other plant harvests.

Your advice along with the others who urged me to chop it down asap, help with drying and curing, and your suggestion of what to do with the immature harvest made what could have been a complete waste turn into a fun beginning to experiment with edibles - My girlfriend and her mom are particularly appreciative, :grin:

3 Likes

That will improve with a longer cure. Smell and taste should get better as it cures, as well as increase the potency

4 Likes

Yea we did,ā€¦didnā€™t we? Lol. I think @Nothingshocking first asked you to go into detail about QWET, (which totally piqued my interest lol). So hopefully he got some very good infoā€¦cuz I surely did. Thank you again. I read @blackthumbbetty post. That was a great thread, so many great recipes. Tis the season for goodiesā€‹:grin: I just finished my first batch. itā€™s setting out and waiting for everclear to evaporate. But I didnā€™t decarb it, so I guess Iā€™ll use that to dab. I got another batch in the oven decarbing right now. Tomr Iā€™m going to use it for QWET for my edibles. Hopefully by the wknd Iā€™ll be enjoying some ooey gooey chocolate bears :bear:. Thanks so muchā€¦seriously. So very much appreciated! This is a game changer for meā€‹:facepunch:

2 Likes

@Nugflush how much weed did you use, and when avaliable, please let me know your yield.

Thanks

1 Like

@Nothingshocking, thatā€™s a great question and I wish I knew the answer LOL! Like I said I have so much material I just kinda made it. If I were to say, I used three mason jars a little over half full of dry product, enough EC to cover the product and then little. If I were to guess about the final product, maybe 4-5 grams per ounce. I guess Iā€™ll have to measure it next time hahaha! I think, from what Iā€™ve been reading, that if I used quality bud only, the yield would be higher (more like 6-7g) but Iā€™ve been using mainly larf and of shake. I definitely have enough really good bud to try it! Iā€™ll keep you postedā€¦ might need to do another experiment :wink: and I really should be writing it all down.

3 Likes

Wellā€¦lol, The first batch I didnā€™t weighā˜¹ļø I just took a jar from my stash, but it was right about 20 grams. Minus a joint or two. Lol.
The second batch that Iā€™m using for edibles, I weighed out an even ounce. My first batch still had some everclear left in it, so Iā€™m hoping by tonight or tomr morning it will be ready to weigh and sample. Iā€™ll let ya know the results. Iā€™ll have to get back with ya on the second batch as I havenā€™t even started that process. Wellā€¦itā€™s still in freezer with bottle of everclear but I havent started the qwet process. But Iā€™ll let ya know how it goes, itā€™s the least I can do for blowing your thread to pieces lol.

3 Likes

@nugflush @Caligurl

Iā€™m going to start my alcohol making project today - I bought 2 1 gallon carboys and some dady (distillers yeast that will get to 15% alcohol). The instructions say to use tomato paste and sugar, and throw out the alcohol afterwards. This is for co2 production in my grow room. But my gf and I decided to make hooch instead with 100% frozen juice concentrate. The plan is to make a couple gallons per week, and hopefully itā€™s drinkable for fun. Iā€™m not sure how much co2 is released, but Iā€™ve got all the supplies for under $50, now just $3 per week for 100% juice concentrate. If the hooch sucks, Iā€™ll save a couple bucks and switch to tomato paste.

If I have time, Iā€™ll run out for some everclear and start this project too. The silicon baking dish and containers are on the way. No point in waiting too hear your results since this stuff is useless if not used for concentrate I guess, but when available please post.

1 Like

You can decarb after, too. Not all QWET derived extracts are of dabbing quality. :grinning:

1 Like

Start a thread Iā€™ll followā€¦ :grin::v:

1 Like

@neofirebird @Nicky @Covertgrower @Caligurl @blackthumbbetty @CMichGrower @NugFlush

Calling everyone who helped beforeā€¦

So it looks like my Gorilla Glue is now having the same problem my Zkittlez had, Iā€™m pretty sure it has something to do with the main stem dying just above the roots which prevents the plant from getting water and nutrients. I could be wrong, but I noticed a discoloration on my Zkittlez just before it died, and after I removed everything, I saw that the stem was dead, and snapped easily right where I saw the discolorationā€¦

here is the Gorilla Glue stem today

Itā€™s still alive, and the cola hasnā€™t dried out yet

Here is the entire plant today

and here is the entire plant 6 days ago

I donā€™t understand what Iā€™m doing wrong, both plants seem to have developed this problem 5 weeks into flowering, the Zkittlez was dead by the end of week 6. The Gorilla glue is obviously struggling, but Iā€™m hoping to keep her alive as long as possible.

Has anyone seen this before, or can you call someone to this thread who may have seen this?

At this point Iā€™m doubting itā€™s the lights being too bright, because itā€™s the stem causing the problems, if it was the lights, the leaves would be dying but the stem wouldnā€™t be affected. It could still be heat. It could be the fertilizerā€¦ @Nicky I just ordered the fertilizer you recommended - the 420 mix. Can you please let me know the ratios? I saw it recommends 1 teaspoon per gallon, but in one of your old posts you discuss checking the ppm before watering - what ppm are you looking for?

For anyone wondering, the PPM of my Zkittlez run off was around 4000 - way too high

At the same time the Gorilla Glue was 1800. I got it down to 1200, then fertilized one more time and it went to 1800. I started rotating the plant a quarter turn per day, and the next day the PPM was over 2000 with no added fertilizer, then another quarter turn and it went over 3000 - so there were nutrients sitting in the back of the pot that were not yet dissolving into the run-off. I havenā€™t added any fertilizer in over a week, and Iā€™m hanging around 2000 still.

The PH of the water out of my tap is 7.8, the PH of my runoff is 5.5, so some major buffering is going on in my soil. I have a meter I can put in the soil, and it says the PH of the soil is 7.5ish, so Iā€™m pretty confused. Every single time Iā€™ve watered since the Zkittles died I have checked the run-off for PH and PPM. These have been pretty consistent.

Finally my pots are going close to dry every day, so I am adding water. Could it be overwatering causing this?

Itā€™s just so confusing because the plants, especially the gorilla glue have looked so healthy up until they start carrying a lot of buds. There is a lot of weight on the gorilla glue right now - I think more then the Zkittlez when it died.

I am hoping I can still save the GG, I donā€™t need another huge harvest of mediocre weed. Even if I donā€™t save it, I am going to keep trying until I get this right and I have another couple plants about 4 weeks behind the GG (who is probably still 3-5 weeks from fully mature), and their stems still look perfectly healthy.

2 Likes

The ratios change every week

This is my chart ignore the lux stuff this is my custom chart.

You may have some root rot idk Iā€™ve never seen that issue sorry. Ide look it up but Iā€™m on my days off being lazy lol

1 Like

@Nicky thanks for the feeding chart! Hopefully someone else has seen something like this.

I can look up root rot myself while I wait for more responses.

Thanks again!

Did you buy the calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate when you ordered the 4-20-39 chemgro?

You wonā€™t find pretty much anyone else running this nutrients but itā€™s very similar to Jackā€™s.
You should also get a silica product to run if your in hydro/coco. Ideally NPK RAWā€™s silica dioxide

@Nicky I did get the Calcium Nitrate but Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, and I can get that pretty cheap at Target or walmart without paying freight so I didnā€™t order that - Unless maybe you think the Target Epsom salt is whatā€™s killing my plants. I started adding it (1 tspn per gallon when fertilizing) when another member mentioned it prevents Magnesium deficiency.

I just checked the package of Target brand (up & up) epsom salt and it says 100% Magnesium Sulfate, so no additivesā€¦

You should pH the water going inā€¦ Youā€™ve got some kinda soil issues. Did you feed nutes, did you pH the feeding solution or watering solution. You need to reset your soil by flushing with pH waterā€¦ Iā€™ll let some soil folks help you from here, but clean up that dead crap all over the soilā€¦ :grin:

1 Like

@neofirebird I tested the PH of pure water out of the tap with nothing but aquarium dechlorinator (prime) added. 7.8 - the water around here is naturally buffered with limestone so has a higher PH.

even though the run-off ph is low, I am hesitant to raise the PH of my water any higher

The peat in the soil should and does naturally reduce the PH, but I would not have expected it to be as dramatic as it is.

I did add gardentone at half strength to all of my pots. My next door neighbor as a kid was a hobby botanist and taught me how to grow stuff as a kid. He told me to use the garden tone and peat in everything I ever grew, but he probably never grew cannabis, lol. Maybe itā€™s the garden toneā€¦

Iā€™m growing in about 25% composted manure - 25% organic soil from the big box store - 20% peat - 20% perlite - 10% vermiculite.

I added 20-20-20 fertilizer at half strength in veg and 15-30-15 at half strength for flower 2 tspn per gallon epsom salt added to fertilizer days.

No other nutes other than what was originally in the soil (above)

I meant adjust pH not up! Youā€™re already too high going in pH needs to be lowered IMHO but your soil may need attention if the pH of the soil itself is offā€¦ Iā€™m a hydro guy but those are basics - perhaps @merlin44 or @Covertgrower can jump in with detailed support :grin:

2 Likes

@neofirebird Yeah, I thought soil would keep it simple, but I could see a switch to hydro in my future potentially as the soil is a pain in the azz to mix and obviously itā€™s not working well. My first 2 plants had a less consistent soil mixture, so maybe I messed something up, but if my next 2 that are starting to flower have these same problems, I will switch to Hydro or pre-packaged soil (Fox Farms or something).

4 Likes

Thatā€™s what I was thinking . Maybe overwater lead to root rot. You said you were watering everyday? Make sure the pot completely dries out before watering again, Almost like roots rotted and the main stem(closest to roots) started to rot as well. If the plant canā€™t take in water and nutes, and you kept giving them more could, that could lead to wet roots and a spike in your ppms runoff since the plant isnā€™t able to use up the nutrients. When you did your post Mortem surgeryā€¦what did the roots look like? Did you inspect the root ball?

Also agree . But if itā€™s bad root rot, Iā€™m not sure if much will help, but then again if her main stem is dead, thatā€™s not good either. But a flush with ph water may do her wonders.

1 Like