Fox farms soil ph low

This makes me sad…

Whats the deal with the ph?

Any one else getting fox farms soil ph super low?

It might have gone a little anaerobic from being stored in the bag too long. That will make it more acidic. You could amend it with something like a 4-4-4 and put it in your pots and let it cook for a couple weeks. Add some microbes to it too, mycos, fish Sh!t etc. Should balance itself back out once it can breathe.

2 Likes

Exactly. Peat becomes acidic as it decomposes. How old is the bag?

I’ve flushed FF soils every time I’ve had a problem with it and it always corrects to ~6.5. Not sure it will work in this case, but worth a try.

3 Likes

bags probably terribly old, i live in the boonies, so i get my stuff from amazon…and have been having the issue for as long as i been growing. i actually bought the ph soil pen just so i could be sure… and all this time the ph was loooooooooooooooow

3 Likes

Those soil pens are notoriously inaccurate. I recommend doing a slurry test with a real ph pen before getting too excited.

1 Like

I started useing more ocean forest because happy frog would have low ph.

I’ve since started useing more coco/perlite and water only to grow but i still got some in soil that’s mostly ocean forest with little happy frog and extra perlite mixed in but its mostly ocean forest and dont seem to have any issues unless the pot is all or mostly happy frog… my guess is the peat in happy frog :man_shrugging:

Agreed :+1:
I’ve never trusted them, I have never concerned myself with soil ph unless the plant presents a problem.

2 Likes

Had the same issue about 5 weeks ago . In veg i realized that their was an issue so i checked soul ph. Was about the same 5.5-5.6. I simply ph my water to 7.2 for a few days. Within hours they started to recover. After a few waterings at 7.2 i dropped ph to 6.8.

1 Like

i haven’t had 1 with low ph but i am noticing that i get a buildup in the soil before i ever start feeding, i started using a cheap dollar general soil that has no nutes in it at all but the ph is around 7 so had to get it down a bit, jacks321, so far the plant in that soil is doing awesome, moby dick auto-topped once in veg and twice after pistils showed

1 Like

Any thought about using coco bricks? A whole lot more cost friendly than shipping bags of dirt. Can’t get much easier than Canna coco bricks.

1 Like

great ideas guys. appreciate the love

Also keep in mind that happy frog doesn’t have a ton of nutrients. I only use happy frog on the top layer so I dont burn my seedlings. Further down I have ocean forest and below that, strawberry fields.

2 Likes