Fox farm ocean forest soil

From a fellow grower: When is an appropriate time to start using fox farm trio? And is fox farm ocean forest an appropriate soil to use for my white widow autos|

1 Like

FFOF is good at least a month into flower without adding anything except PH’d water.

3 Likes

Hey there wanted to check in and see how this is working out?

Starting my grow germinating in fox farm ocean forest

Any tips or recommendations?

Ive never grown autos but I have grown a ton of plants in ffof. By trio are you referring to grow big, big bloom and tiger bloom?

Yes the Trio is the Fox Farm 3 you mentioned

I always have gone by the recommended feedings which I believe is reg. water , reg. water, feed. And I use half the amount. So like on grow big I think it says 1tsp per gallon. I’ll go 1/2 tsp. Otherwise you could get burn. Yeah I used all that stuff before and it works pretty good

1 Like

I always went with the full recommended dosage suggested by FF on the bottle never got nute burn. But, I dont “feed” them nutes until about 4 weeks into veg.

1 Like

If you run any supplements in veg while using FFOF you risk burning your plants. FFOF has everything you need up to flower.

3 Likes

I’d be a little concerned about going straight OF because of it being to hot for seedlings. I layer my HF and OF in a V shape letting her grow gradually into the OF. @Myfriendis410 so I don’t need any nutes running my soil set up until flower?

3 Likes

That is correct.

1 Like

My layered soil with ffof and ffhf lasted 8 weeks before I had to add nutes.

3 Likes

@Myfriendis410 does that only apply to Ocean Forest or is Happy Frog included in that? I use the Trio liquid nutes so if I use my FF soils the Grow Big bottle isnt necessary?

My understanding is Happy Frog is Ocean Forest with more coco and perlite. So not designed to carry all the way through. That said; you always look to your plants to tell you what they need before supplementing. Before you start with nutes, look at the plant and ask yourself: “Does my plant look good?” If the answer is yes then back away slowly and put the bottles away haha.

8 Likes

Thank you. If I don’t have to spend money I’d rather not. I didn’t know that about Happy Frog. I use the Bushmaster/FF Coco Loco and it looks like regular HF or OF but I can see the coconut fiber strands in the soil. If has a good amount of perlite in it.

1 Like

What nutrients should I use for flowering stage. I am using Fox farm as well

I would need more information than that to really say. In general you will want to add some P, K salts. FF sells a complete line if you want to stay with them and they work fine. I would strongly recommend you invest in a digital PH and TDS meter along with the calibration fluids. They are your most used tools growing indoors.

3 Likes

Can I just get a ph tester and calibration fluid? Do I have to get the TDS tester?

The TDS meter will tell you when to add supplements and will tell you how strong those supplements are. Frankly a TDS meter is way less expensive than a PH meter.

1 Like

Ok makes sense. So for the seedling stage. My seed has popped and has a root. I’m only doing one plant. What if I can’t find or get a 36W CFL flouescent light, what other options can I use. I do have this. Please see pic.