Found a seed. No males so it must be a herm?

There’s no question about finding seeds. And there are no males anywhere near so I’m 90% sure she has hermed (although I haven’t seen any bananas). This is my first grow. She’s in the tent with a young White Widow auto. So… do I take her out? Early harvest for the hell of it? Let her continue to grow?

2 Likes

Looks for pollen sacs in the lower branches where the female calyxes should be. If you find any, it’s a true herm, and the seeds are bird food. If it’s from a rodelization (nanner situation) it’s a feminized seed much like you pay $10 or so for. Might not be auto.

1 Like

It’s not an auto. It’s a photo plant. Today is the start of week 9 of flowering.

Ah, I see now I misread what you wrote. Check them both/all.

1 Like

I’m thinking maybe I pruned too much?

1 Like

I can’t see any in that pic but you’ll need to look close, underneath where the female flower buds are. If you find it has balls under its skirt, yes kill it with fire. But I think you’re ok. Nanners could be stress related, basically the plant thinks it’s going to die and it’s a last ditch effort to save the genetics.

In my opinion, it is looking thin and stretched a bit, if you pruned them yes I think it was too much. I like enough leaf canopy where there’s not a lot of wasted light hitting the floor. If there weren’t a lot of leaves to begin with, the stretching could be from not enough light.

3 Likes

Look what I found.

2 Likes

Yep that’s a nanner. I think I see another along the right edge, about 4 o’clock.

You look to be a ways out from harvest. Nanners, if you stay on top of them, shouldn’t result in a lot of seeds. And the ones you do get should be an S1 feminized WW. I’d run with it.

3 Likes

If it hermied on its own with an outside influence I.E. light leak during the dark period, Its probably genetics. I would not recommend running any seeds you find, as they too will likely herm. Unlike a natural hermie, an s1 typically comes from strong, stress tested genetics, and are forced to herm.

Are you in week 4-5?
Do you have other plants around you are worried about pollinating?

I’d either be considering removing it, or isolating it on its own. You can, obviously let it go and try to stay on top of it.

When seeds start developing the bud production will drop off pretty vastly.

Today is a first day of week 9. The seeds I found were fully formed.

2 Likes

How long since flowering started?

1 Like

If you have fully formed seeds the plant must have hermied awhile ago, so your probably gonna find a lot more seeds. If it was my only plant Id try to ride it out, but if I had more plants Id chop it and bag it. Trying to isolate it, IMO is too risky. Everytime you tend to the hermie plant, you risk transferring pollen onto yourself and your clothes, then onto your other plants. Not to mention that pollen can easily become airborne and spread throughout your home through the AC.

1 Like

Yep I see 4 in this pic right away. Lol.

1 Like

I humbly disagree,:pray:
Seeds made from nanners are rodelized seed stock. True hermies have both fully developed male and female parts. Male parts in clusters with petals and stamens. Like this:

@CurrDogg420 I could not have said it better.
I have run hundreds of seeds this way and found 99/100 to be feminized seeds. That is how a make a gifted to me “clone only cut” into seed. I rodelize them into S1 by stressing them. I find these all useful: topping, <1hr/4days, root binding small pot, cold then hot then cold, dry then flood then dry. It’s the original fem seed. I have done this to hundreds of pedigree seeds and clones over decades of making seeds.

Did you say you topped a main cola? When I do this to bud in flower I often find the new “foxtailly growth” loaded with nanners. Especially on strains known to rodelize like WW and Gorilla glue for example. Just my humble 5 cents.

I have never YET found a plant I could not over ripe then stress into nanners. :point_left:
And I have been buying seed packs since the 90s.
It would be No different then using silverthiosulfate or colloidal silver. Would you consider those worthless hermies or feminized seeds? I have used these products plenty, and find I get the same results with stress Rodelization. I exclusively run living soil and don’t want those dripping into my char laden mix. I make fresh seeds every year and keep impeccable notes.

The only fishy part is that you found developed seeds all ready like @plumbdand mentioned. Did you find nanners in a recent previous grow; or find a male that opened? The seeds take 6-8 weeks to develop. Seems a bit early for nanner seeds. Those are usually found at the end at harvest and are just a few around the nanner. Males or true hermies will dust the room with pollen and make 1000s of seeds. The rodelized nanners will just make a few dozen I have found.

Either way I would still test them. Pop 12-20 seeds and see what they do. I test in 4” starter pots. Many use solo cups. Anyway, I am always testing my seeds. Pop em and flower em at 3 sets of leaves. If they suck the whole batch is bird seed. If they are good I select 1-2 keepers to up pot and reveg. I trash the rest then work more carefully with the seeds. Just because you pop it doesn’t mean you have to run it. I am ruthless at selection. Brutal.
Happy growing🙀

4 Likes

That’s fine. I wouldn’t risk it. But then again I’ve only ever had a hand a few hermies in the last couple of decades. I don’t run anything that has a natural tendency to herm. It’s not worth my time nor the quality of the product, considering the time and expense of the hobby. There is also a difference with an over mature plant going hermie. :call_me_hand:t3: This one hermied young. That being said without a determination on cause from an outside influence of herm I’d assume genetics, which means seeds produced will likely carry the same trait.

1 Like

Just over 8 weeks.

1 Like

The hermed plant is an unknown sativa photo strain.

At this point like @plumbdand said ride her out. It looks like it started seeding a while ago. Unfortunate, but it happens,

I’m wondering… I was very careful with this. The seed came from a guy I’ve known for years and it’s a really good chance that he’s been growing herms. He’s been using his own seeds for years. He’s almost 80 and set in his ways. Haha

Side note, I ordered him seeds from ILGM and he’s excited as hell about growing autos.

1 Like

That’s very cool of you. That’s canna fam!

1 Like