Forced induction or forced exhaust (or both)

I am trying to determine which would be the best route to go with a 2’x4’x6’ grow tent. I am currently using an iPower 420CFM 8" inline duct coming into the bottom port of the tent. The duct is free standing so I can move it directly to an HVAC vent for direct heat/cooling or leave non-directed to pull ambient air. I am not currently force exhausting the tent as the pressure from the inline is allowing me to vent from the top 8" port. This is not optimum to me. What are your thoughts on topology/design? I am leaning towards forced exhausting (with carbon filter) and matching CFM’s with an inline for fresh cooled/heated air. The setup right now works but is kludged together … the fan noise is driving me insane and the dogs think the 8" flex duct is a toy …

1 Like

@Johnzy81 - Your thoughts are always appreciated :slight_smile:

Most growers find it easier to pull air from the top of the tent, maybe filter it for the smell, and then dump the exhaust outside or in another room. In summertime, at least, the problem is getting heat out of the tent. If you have enough light, you have to exhaust heat. I think taking air right from a heat/AC vent is a very bad idea because it will be too hot or too cold. Better to take it from the room because the heater/AC will try to keep the room at a constant reasonable temperature if there’s a thermostat in there.

3 Likes

Thanks. Right now it is exhausting into the room which is bringing the temp up so I moved the duct close to the register. It is not a direct connect to the HVAC. Kinda crappy but pulling warm air from the exhausted room and recycling that was not a great option either. This is a spare bedroom in the back of the house so the thermostat is central to the home. I need to exhaust outside of this room … Kinda wanted to hold off on the investment. Thanks again.

1 Like

You can find a metal floor duct at a home improvement store, that screws into a hole in your floor or wall. Then you get a piece of plywood to fit in your window opening, cut a round hole to fit your floor duct, and fasten the flexible exhaust duct to it. Not very expensive if you know somebody with a jig saw.

2 Likes

I am having same problem. My intake is connected to vent from central heat / ac of home and enters the tent towards bottom. When tent gets to hot I kick the AC on for 5 min and it drops the temp quickly. Than for exhaust it is a 6" fan in the top of the tent pulling air out. ( No ducting it just blows it into the same room)
Which makes room hotter. Any suggestions to achieve a more stable temp. The room does not get a lot of fresh air. The window in room to outside is open always. I have blackout shades tacked over the window so not alot of fresh air gets in. First post… hope I am making sense.

2 Likes