For the coco growers

The coco brick I ordered was wounder soil premium organic coco brick with castings and other amendments i was warned about flushing with ph water and cal mag i flushed twice and added alot of perlite after i was done it filled a 60 gallon tote but i have had no problems since my pen was acting up so i bought the ph buffer to second check pen every week dont trust them no more but a use floral duo’s from GH with terpenator and calmag didnt want 20 bottles of different stuff

1 Like

Chasing PH runoff numbers in coco??

The PH in the runoff you measure will not be what the actual suspended solution PH will be in the coir medium. This is because coco holds cations which contribute to the overall effect on PH. When you produce runoff, the solution is no longer in contact with the substrate and so the effect on PH is changed. The only true accurate way of obtaining a PH value of the suspended solution, is through whats called a 1:5 suspension test. Where a physical sample is taken from the media and processed appropriately for a ph measurement.

This is why we say not to measure run off ph or worse, try to control it. As you will be chasing a phantom because you are not getting the true measurement data. Coco coir is reasonably ph stable so all you must do is make sure the ph going in is correct.

Coco coir only has around 50% water holding capacity and half of that is plant water available. So it is paramount that you keep your media hydrated at all times, especially with those ammended with perlite. You also need to keep the feeding events constant and at high frequency to ensure optimal solution characteristics in the media.

Cocoforcannabis

1 Like