Flushing is a Myth?

Interesting stuff, my youngest kid did a science project with food coloring and flowers. Sure enough plants draw liquids from a source up the tissue and into the flowers. Weed growers use molasses and other things typically not found in nature to ( help ) with flavor etc. They wouldn’t do it if the plant wouldn’t absorb it into tissue. I have smoked some weed that was obviously not flushed or fertilizer was not discontinued, the weed was terrible and stained the shit out of rolling papers, didn’t burn right either. In my opinion even though it got you stoned, it was garbage.

4 Likes

I am considering the term " to flush " at the end of the natural grow cycle and not to rid salts from over fertilized pots. In my mind flushing is just regular, as needed, watering without fertilizer.

3 Likes

Cutting nitrogen off 4 weeks before cut plus no nutes for the last 4-7 days for me. Use Keen, like it because it cleans my lines.

1 Like

The molasses works as carbohydrate to feed microbes not really changing the flavor.

4 Likes

:point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up: What he said.

Although. Whilst REALLY high the other night I pondered this.

When I harvest, I cut my plants down and drop them in a bucket of water. Like a bouquet of flowers. That way I can trim at my leisure.

If one were to add molasses or another sweetener to the water, would it get wicked up and into the buds…

1 Like

I also put my plants in a bucket of water when harvesting. And it works very well. :+1:

Would think that the time frame wouldn’t be long enough to make much difference in the outcome of the final flavour. :v:
But wouldn’t hurt to try and see. :grin:

1 Like

I’ve gone 3-4 days before I’m done.

Also on a side note. I had a large branch break off around week 5-6 of flower. It was an outdoor grow. I put it in a bucket of water and left it. 3 weeks later it was still green(ish) and the buds hat fattened up significantly. Go figure.

2 Likes

Me too. :joy::joy:

3 Likes

I do too 2 weeks only water

1 Like

It’s a lot of work. I’m glad I started doing this a few years back. It doesn’t seem to do any harm, and it’s nice to do a few branches here and there. Hell, it might even stress the plant into producing more resin.

2 Likes

I’ll do my outdoor due to much bigger pots. I’ll pull as much as I can get of the roots and put it all in the bucket.
It takes the hurry out of it for me. :v:

1 Like

Ok…this is completely off topic, though. :grinning: For those who don’t know the differences, it’s a great article, but it doesn’t really belong in this thread.

I’m flushing because I put my seeds with tap roots straight into my grow buckets and places in the grow tent. I have lost seeds because I didn’t think about flushing. I haven’t lost seeds since I started doing this. I’m only flushing because the end nutrients doesn’t seem to be good for the new seeds.

@blackthumbbetty I was in South Africa for 3 months this year. I can say the stuff I smelled reminded of the crap from Mexico. They grow it out in the.Bush and it’s nicknamed Bush Weed. I didn’t smell anything I would even consider bottom shelf quality.

1 Like

I read the article and he did point out the errors made but i did I miss the part where he said the flush data was messed up?
I seen there wasn’t actually a difference between his control and mild stress

1 Like

Tell that to a cut rose. Food color changes petals in very short time.

2 Likes

I posted it to you by mistake. :astonished:

Back in the day growers used to do things like spray Koolaid on the drying flower or cut branches soaked in it. @Not2SureYet bought some flavors and played a bit with them.

2 Likes

Ugh that’s scary to just think about, just because something is safe to eat doesn’t mean it’s safe to smoke…

I did the celery experiment in school, split it down the middle one side red and one side blue die had the top of it purple or something.
Soaking a chopped plant in water may keep mosture in it but that’s about it, not going to keep it alive and using minerals. Just osmosis really

2 Likes

I tried the flavoring extracts after seeing a video on you tube. I only tried it on one plant, and just one application. I didn’t notice and change. I will try and remember to test it again a little longer one one of the new plants.

Was it spray on or like put it in the water?

1 Like