Flushing hurts the flavor?!?! WTF read on and comment

I’m not one to stand steadfast on a practice that I have not tested myself. I grow with living soil so I run mostly on water and teas. I do stop my teas 6weeks before harvest but I doubt there’s much I can do in my setup to effect flavor.

2 Likes

@imSICKkid, yours saying it’s the sugars that create a problem. Would molasses be included in that or are you referring to sugars in processed bottles? Don’t even know if there’s a difference. Always heard sugar was good for the microbiology.
Just wandering if I limit my sugar more if it would effect the flavor.

1 Like

Terps can be measured in a lab. Did they submit the differently finished products to a lab for testing?

I confess I didn’t click on the link and read the article. :smiley:

I don’t flush anymore (but I am also a hydro grower) myself, but it’s because I’m lazy more than anything.

7 Likes

You cant hide the green taste from nitrogen

Are you sure that is a catch all, or is it a problem with having excess nitrogen?

7 Likes

Nitrogen doesn’t have a taste. Chlorophyll on the other hand…

8 Likes

I’ve never used molasses so I’m not much help there. What I do know is that the plant will give you all of the wonderful flavors just by keeping your growing environment in check. My plants are covered in trichomes and the taste is always great.

Drying your cannabis right is a huge key in having good experiences. The slower you dry the better it tastes.

8 Likes

I would have to agree. Mineral based or organic has no bearing… I have grown in hydro, Super Soil, and Coco with both mineral salt based and organic. No difference with flush or no flush… Just my take though :+1:t2:

5 Likes

I can tell you that most of the weed you bought from the emerald triangle was not flushed. Especially if it was grown outdoors organic. Just saying, probably been smoking unflushed buds for a long time and couldn’t tell the difference in reality.

5 Likes

I actually knew a guy that was in on helping a grow out there. F’n Bomb weed :sunglasses: best I’ve ever had. I couldn’t finish a joint in one sitting. :grin::astonished: Strain was actually called Humboldt Honey. The choice I had was either green crack or Humboldt Honey. I went with the Honey to medicate. Boy, did it ever!
Wait what’re we talking about? :rofl: Yeah flush. Yeah it rained. :thinking::rofl::joy:
Big outdoor set up. It was serious smoke coming out of the emerald triangle.

5 Likes

I don’t flush, per se, but I stop feeding 10-14 days before harvest. Sometimes less.

I’d like an I dependent lab to study the other harvesting advice: harvest after a dark period, a minimum of 6 hours up to 72 hours, to ensure nutes/sugars/etc are concentrated down in the root zone, rather than circulating throughout the plant. I’d like to know some numbers on that.

6 Likes

ill tell u why I love this place, you can find something that is commonly know as gospel… discuss it, take all inputs from good growers and make decisions yourself with way more confidence… :smiley: :pray:

I started taking branches early and they tasted great, spoke to the fuzz, so i am going to stop feeding early and then just top up with h2o… dwc… no flush as standard practice atm… always can change… :ok_hand: :grin:

6 Likes

I hear if your solution is below nuclear waste you don’t need to flush anyway :grin:

4 Likes

I tend to agree with you, plants take up what you feed em within a few minutes. They take what they need unless they are locked out. I will admit my indoor experience is pretty limited in my home, though many of my friends finish indoors. If flushing was really that important, outdoor would suck because the food is in the soil and nobody flushes soil. Infact, quite the opposite! In the late stages the humidity outdoors is usually pretty high and water can be a problem.
To add to that, hydro plants are always in water, so flushing would mearly be changing out the reservoir with clean water. Is that flushing? Seems more like withholding or starving your buds? I dont know, maybe that why I prefer to finish in real soil outdoors, I font have to worry about that.

3 Likes

Your table sir :slight_smile: (if this was posted before, I apologize)

2 Likes

i personally believe it depends on how you grow and what you put i to the soil or whatever you are growing in. organic grows really dont need to be flushed however i think its a good idea if you are using bottled nutes or alot of additives. all those salts and sugars do build up over time…

2 Likes

I use the time flushing to clean my RDWC system out, by the time i’m done with it pull roots out a small small small cap of bleach run/drain and its ready for a new plants.
Everything I give them comes as salt/chemicals from a bottle, I’m going to flush till I get the PPM down.

1 Like

Wish I understood it better.

Totally agree. IMHO Organic may make folks feel better, but the reality is, how you derive your Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium etc. doesn’t make any difference. Unless there are by-product chemicals in your nutrient, Nitrogen is nitrogen. Once broken down for a plant to use it is utterly the same.
As for the vaulted rinse, I couldn’t find any difference other than you are shorting your plant of needed nutrients when it really needs them. This string from Dumme sold me.

3 Likes

That’s how organics and nonorganic nutes differ: how they’re broken down and the time it takes. That makes quite a difference up until they are broken down to the elements your plant can actually use.

Flush or not, no harm either way.

5 Likes