Flowering and Defoliation: Should material be removed to allow light penetration to "interior" bud formations?

@PharmerBob, I did in fact start a half dozen clones from lower plant defoliation of weak growth, and damned if all of them didn’t take root and revert to vegging!
I had never cloned before, and it was super simple and effective. I plan to try and clone cutting from my very best producing plants, before removing them for drying trimming and curing, and seeing what kind of results I can achieve that way.
Do clones grow as large as the donor plants from seed grew? Or are they usually smaller?

3 Likes

With same care and love they most certainly will. Think of it as that plant never dying your just extending its life

2 Likes

@SwtBdMn ya I don’t grow autos so one of the experts I know on that front are @Missiles and @blackthumbbetty they know way more then me on autos

1 Like

@Grandaddy013 lol no you do it perfect lol

2 Likes

I was just messin with you, buddy

2 Likes

I know but had to answer

1 Like

Here are some pics of my grow. 1st time in 35+ years. These were last week. I will add to these in a week or so, if there is any interest. This is an outside grow, in a plastic greenhouse. 10’ x 20’ x 7’ at peek. Bags are 16 gallon. Mixed up my own organic soil, seems to be working very well.
Plants are now at shoulder height, top of bags is below the knee. I am 6’1" tall for ref… Grew 4 to 6 inches since these pics last week. Gold Leaf, Skywalker, and GDP are the strains.

6 Likes

Beautiful :heart_eyes: very nice job. Those girls look beautiful and healthy
Definitelyy keep posting your progress. Have you started a journal? If so, tag me plea. Keep up the great growing. You’ll get better every grow. :v::green_heart:

Impressive! The green looks so good with the white background.

1 Like

@HornHead Turns out schwazzing is exactly what I am doing, although I had no idea there was a term for it. I learn something every time I visit this site! I love that. I added some pics of my grow, about a week or 10 days since the photos were taken. Plan to add 3 or 4 more to show progress, and the amount of defoliation I do. Although I take my que from each plant, and remove leaves as they look “ready” to me. I don’t count the days, so they aren’t timed removals. I never “dig” for a leaf stem, they are visible past the bud growth to warrant my removal. That’s how I a rolling with this grow.
Planning to do some methods comparison next year. My current vs 1 or 2 other methodologies.
Thanks for the info. Interesting subject, I am really glad I posted on this site.
Every visit I pick up new information, or at least several items worth giving some thought to. I am learning a great deal on this first grow of mine, and with the info given here, the discussions, comments, and pictures are all an invaluable source of knowledge, from basic through advanced. The free exchange of information here is extremely cool. Even the very advanced growers are willing to give time to those of us who are still coming up, and finding our own techniques as we advance in experience. Great site! I just love growing marijuana!

2 Likes

No, no journal. Kept notes as to soil mix content and proportions of various elements assembled into my soil mix. Everything else from germinating the seed until current status will require me to make changes to near every aspect of this one! Made several mistakes, but have been lucky this time round, and have yet to scrap any plants.
Thanks for the positive comments! I am a sorta proud papa, so to speak. I find all the ladies quite beautiful, and getting better and better looking with time.
I plan to post a series of pictures, from seedling forward, a kind of brief pictorial. I think I have enough photos to make it pretty cool. Guess we’ll see how you all think, when its up on the site.

3 Likes

The white is the flooring. The rest is platic greenhouse walls, with string running horizontally and vertically. Its a modified UpSunny greenhouse from Amazon.
Anyway, back to your comment, it is amazing how much sunlight the white floor reflects back onto the plants. It is so bright at the middle of the day, it is near impossible to be in there for any length of time without sunglasses, and I am used to So.Cal. summer sunshine. My problem is heat control. Until I added air conditioning, temps were touching as high as 114 f. inside the greenhouse.
Now peaking at 102. I do want some temp extremes, my theory being all the fluctuations in nature, heat, amount of light, varying humidity, fans emulating wind, cloudy days, etc. all add to the “character” of the plant, and have much to do with the taste and scent of the finished product. Also why I grow in soil, with natural nutrient sources, rather than chemical fertilizers.
In my 50 years of smoking herb, the best tasting, highest head room finished product was soil grown, out doors. Have had very nice bud from other methods, but none to match the best soil grown herb.
This is my own opinion, no science behind it, just 1st person observations, and gut feeling. I’m thinking it’s working for me!
Thanks for the comment,@AAA

2 Likes

Well said!