Florida too hot for marijuana?

A question from a fellow grower:

South Florida is super hot in the summer and fall. What kind of pot is the best to keep the soil cool? Also are there particular strains that is able to thrive in extreme hot weather?

Would moving the plants to the shade in the summer help? Or will the lack of direct sunlight harm the buds (yield and quality) of the grow?

Plants adapt, but doing your best to control the temps as much as possible is recommended. Can you build a light frame in which to add a shade cloth over the plants?

Placing them in the shade is ok, but it should not be total shade. somewhere that has spotted shade as the Sun moves will allow different areas of the plant cool ass the Sunlight moves through the branches.

Sativa dominant pheno plants do better in a tropical environment.

1 Like

I dont think this is an issue as latewood said they adapt. Here in Australia ive seen plants grow in extreme heat an thrive just need to keep the water up and you will be fine… Give Durban Poisen a go outdoors it will handle it and you wont be sorry.

1 Like

I have a couple of mates that grow outdoors here in the top end of Australia with next to no problems in full sun from around 7am until around 5pm then they are in partial shade until the sun sets, it’s always hot here as im in the tropics and we only have 2 seasons wet/dry and it’s hot all year round even n the wet season it’s hot you sweat your guts out even when it’s pissing down with rain, so if plants grow well here you could adapt most plants to grow anywhere, what MacGyver said about the shade cloth sounds like a great idea!

1 Like

Latewood said it, lol. He knows his stuff about outdoors growing and really big grows, greenhouses and such.

Lol as latewood said haha.
Yeah he knows heaps as do you but you both have different styles of growing latewood is more"old school"

I just want to add; It does not matter how you do it, as long as you do it consistently.

Transitioning into a commercial farmer opened all kinds of techniques and information that was viable to Cannabis, but not taught much. I was mentored by the State Field Rep for Kenya, and South African hydroponic farms. This is why I make my own nutrient solution for the Greenhouse, while I keep experiment with commercial products, in order to teach you all.

Once you have a farm and try to make a living growing food; You find that you need to know how to grow in soil, Organic or not. "Leaves do not know the difference between Nitrogen form a bag, or from a compost. (Rotello)

We do ebb and flow for seedlings, then transplant into a recirculating system; Or, a drip to waste system. We use the “fertigation method”, for row crops. this is the method of using drip tape under poly mulch, providing nutrients to the root zone.

Sorry, I got carried away. Might write an article for the Blog. :).

2 Likes

Jungleman here,what strains do you recommend for south Florida humidity

I am always amazed at how resilient outdoor plants can be we just had a week of 35 degree Celsius days 95 f in the U.S and my plants are 7-8 weeks into flowering and as long as you keep the water up they are fine I think they like the change in temperature it makes them sweat and they release more resin.
I am growing birgmans gold leaf and super skunk outdoor in high humidity with great success. Have done the same with ak47 in the past too it was always my go to outdoor pick in the past as well

2 Likes

Yeh mate they grow well in Australia also, gets into the high temps over here. :kangaroo:

What is high temperature for you guys over there

I just looked at your average temperatures pretty perfect growing conditions, use a really good draining soil I have a friend over there I know you get some rain, I’d use ak47, gorilla glue, Girl Scout cookies, super skunk or birgmans gold any of the ones that like a sunny conditions any of them is a good choice

We get highs over 50 deg c some areas have had no rain for years, so for outdoors you have to have stored water, no such thing as an average for Australia as Darwin in the NT has an average of 30 deg c while Tasmania has an average of 20 to 24deg c but has had heatwaves over the 40s in certain areas.
So its better to average the states of Australia than the country.
So if your into growing pick your state for rainfall and sun balance :+1: then pick your area in that state.

I’m in Australia too mate I get some pretty nasty summers here 40-42 degrees Celsius and minus 4-6 in winter I just use plenty of mulch outside and a shade house/ greenhouse for summer with a 30%uv block and I have a 50% I can throw over the top of my greenhouse
if we get some beautiful Queensland summer days :sweat::sweat::sweat:

1 Like

You got it mate, i used to live in a few areas of Qld and yes it gets hot and cold/freezing, i used to shoot wild pigs out in the Moonie oil fields and all around that area, Cunnamulla, and around the border at St george and
Goondiwindi, and Texas 30s and 40s during the day and - 6 during the night and the early morning frosts, big fire fixes that though when camping out there. But i must say i used to love the Qld winters.
This is why you should not leave kids or animals unattended in a hot vehicle.

Yeah that’s qld weather to a T I love qld winters too it’s perfect weather most of the time

1 Like

I grow in the Southernmost parts in the State of Florida. Today’s realfeel was 102° & 97% Humidity. If you are a beginner then I concur with whomsoever recommended Durban Poison. It’s will take anything, but budding stage is where it will go bad unless you are able to bring them into a patio, enclosure with a fan. You need to time the plants in your grow to start budding in October to have half a chace outdoors. I am not a pessimist, yet the dew that forms every night will decimate your buds from bud rot. If you live North of Lake Okeechobee, then freeze can be a conundrum. Try it out, yet indoors in a controlled environment is best in Florida. Please remember that it is totally possible under the pretense that you are able to get them in every night, or anyone’s probably of a successful outcome is miniscule. Good Luck