Flip - clean up?

Hey,
This is my first grow and some help has suggested it is time to flip this. Question - should I continue to clean it up to clear out the middle? It is bushy and I admit I did not do a good job in that area. I trimmed up multiple times about 30% each time but it just keeps filling out.
It is in hydro - 2 1/2 months from seed.
Thanks!

3 Likes

Looks great, you can remove some older fan leaves if you think they need to be some removed. Good airflow and exchange is vital as long as you have both you’ll be good to go.

3 Likes

Thanks. That is what I was thinking. It gets so thick in the middle and when you peel back it has so much more in there. I was hoping to get to a point where I have a larger water source so I could tie some of these down a bit just to spread it out more but best laid plans!

1 Like

This is a great method to increase yields. I really enjoy super cropping the top 2/3’s to allow for some of the under canopy receive more light. Tying it down is the less violent way of doing things… :joy: Works very similar.

3 Likes

Oh, meant to ask. As I go through this next phase, should I continue to trim off the older fan leaves if they appear to be blocking significant growth? Was not sure how this is handled in this period.

thanks!

Yes trim the fans that block bud sites. No light no growth

2 Likes

Trim back any branches that don’t break canopy also. She don’t need to waste her time on small stuff

1 Like

Sorry pal, Welcome to the Fam. Should have said this first :person_facepalming:

1 Like

I let them stretch before trim. That way i see where going. I also leave all the fans i can. Buds do not feed themselves. Full light on 1 wont feed it well. Fans do. My prune is wasted stuff inside and for airflow.

3 Likes

Yes. This. Bud sites don’t need direct light to develop. The canopy needs even coverage to develop all the buds, but the most energy generation comes from the fans - sure, bud has sugar leaves which do produce some, but from a surface area perspective it makes total sense a fan leaf can do way more for your lady in terms of energy production.

I am in the camp that more green = more chlorophyll = more photosynthesis = bigger buds. I’ll strip fan leaves strategically to induce stress, but never just to expose buds to the light. That actually degrades the thc faster (light exposure is a known enemy of thc/terpene preservation).

2 Likes

@samiam Outdoors, when I can see the lower fans and inners fans yellowing, I clip them when completely yellow so they kind of prune themselves.

I haven’t done an indoor grow since the great spider mite invasion so I will be very rusty on indoor knowledge until I try again,

This is my perspective also. I prefer to tuck a fan leaf instead of removing. If it’s damaged though, it can be removed. Otherwise more green, equals more surface area to absorb light.

Tucking coincides with good air flow and exchange. If you’re having issues with either, fan leaves should be removed. I thought I should add this important bit.

4 Likes

As an alternative to removing an entire leaf try removing the middle finger of a leaf, leaving the rest of it to continue to soak up the sun/light.

@samiam a lot of growers with photos flip at 9 wks but it’s really up to you and your a available overhead. I’ve seen some long term monsters up in her. Flipping too early is more of a problem imho. :smiley:

another question on flip, i keep seeing to let PH creep up around 6 or so. true?

Alot of dufferent opinions on this topic in general. Indoors i would defoliate the heck out of it. Outside i would leave it alone. Ive always gotten more off of defoliated plants indoors then without. I do like to leave the fans though as long as they are not blocking bud sites and or too bushy. I believe they come back stronger and more vigorous with some defoliation. BUT i do believe some people defoliate too much.

3 Likes

question, as this progresses, are there recommended schedules for decreasing nutrients the closer the end approaches?

2 Likes

You have many weeks to go yet. Restrict nutes in the final two weeks. Very healthy lady you got there.

1 Like

Thanks, Yea I knew it is a while yet but I just wanted to be ready. I am happy with it so far

1 Like

Keep it up and she’ll be amazing bet you money :moneybag::money_mouth_face: