Fish shit versus homemade

So I had a pump fail on a outdoor koi pond.As you can see i have plenty of shit.The og name brand one test 920 on tds but very clear.Mine is around 750 and thick.A powerhead doesnt want to move it.Any ideas on how to test it for NPK ? maybe just paper strips?More concerned abot nitrogen as in veg right now.I was reading about adding molasses and sawdust for some reason?Thanks in advance and happy growing!!!

2 Likes

Molasses and sawdust gives the microbes food basically.
Unfortunately that’s all i can help with though my freind. Other then the npk paper tests or little capsule test kits, its all i know of to test npk…

Well that makes sense.I read to let it sit for 24 hours and then filter out the solids with cheesecloth.I might just try one plant and see.

I have a buddy that uses the fish tank water he extracts when cleaning

This is VERY concentrated,almost no water.We backflushed it and use that on our okra except one plant.The one plant is 6 inches shorter this week!!!

1 Like

Wow…oddly enough worm poop seems less gross than fish poop somehow. You have my admiration, that thick stuff might be a bit much for me

It is tough i must say.Im just trying new things and am always curious before i make a bad decision.

Thats a good thing

@lazijames You can send a dry lb to a lab that does soil samples for lawns. Uconn does mine free takes a couple weeks but alot of good info

Oh wow
Never thought of that. That’s why we’re all on here for great ideas. I think the local college does it here too.Guess I have smoke damage and forgot…:man_facepalming:Thank you!!

1 Like