First White Widow closet grow

First time grower, just recently bought 5 feminized White Widow seeds and got 5 free :smile: been doing alot of research on lightning, setup, and fertilization but still feel like Im missing alot of small details. I am going with a basic closet grow due to it being so close to winter, just hoping my babies will have enough room to grow. Germination went fine in cup o water method. Planted December 10 2016, thinking I possibly planted too deep because it took 2 days for most to sprout, & still waiting on a few. Using Organic Choice Potting Mix for soil, planning to get some perlite prior to transplanting to veg pots. Only watering every other day with purified water, also spritzing leaves and bending roots. My light schedule initially started at 18/6 but today I decided to keep on 24 hour light sched until veg :slight_smile: Haven’t decided on a fertilizer yet, all my local stores only carry fertilizer seasonally so I’m going to do more research before buying online. Any suggestions on fertilizer to get online would be great! As far as lights go, started with 2 60W and 3 90W LED, wasnt getting great results so I switched that setup for 5 60W CFL and immediately saw progress, however now I notice the leaves are slightly droopy. Im hopin this is expected while they are sprouting :frowning: All advice is appreciated :herb: :wink: !!

3 Likes

Don’t water to much at this stage and definitely no nutts
In the future when plant poke hole in soil to first knuckle that’s plent deep for you sprouted seed and as try placing in soil tail down
I’ll let someone else try to explain in detail about lighting
I’m new to indoor growing myself and wouldn’t want to give you incorrect info
I use 300 watt galaxy hydro led light 9 band with uv and ir
I only used one during seedling :seedling: stage and add to give me total of 3 in veg and I’ll add 1 more if needed for flowering
Hope this helped and good luck with your grow

1 Like

Thanks, great advice I will start waiting a bit longer before I water! Your light setup sounds quite impressive…and EXPENSIVE I hope to one day get where you are! Are thoes recommended for flowering? I know flowering will need more lights for bigger buds but Im wondering if adding more CFL’s will do the trick? I am definatley saving for a LED or HPS setup… But that wont be feasible most likely until after Christmas!! :expressionless:

I got my light on Amazon for 83 $ ea I try and send a link on a little bit and I built my box from stuff I already had around so I really only invested in the light and nutts and what not

1 Like

Adding more cfl will work for sure you want something more in the red spectrum for flowering and more in the blue for veg but other here can explain all that better then I could still learning all about that myself
I always grew outside and I’ve just started growing indoors so
I just did a lot of research on them and found ones I could use for complete grow
@raustin @FloridaSon @Paranorman can one of you guys help out with the lighting question (spectrums) best for what stages ?
Thanks in advance

2 Likes

Look up he fox farm line a fertilizers :+1:

Ok blue for veg red for flowering, easy enough! Think I will go ahead and get some blue 1000W CFL bulbs for the veg, might as well stock up now :wink: Oh and I think I found the fertilizer mate

Is this one you went with? Reviews look pretty good and not too expensive… thinking it’s a winner!

4 Likes

Howdy, new grower here as well, before those girls take off, think about how big an area you are growing in, this should help know how far apart your plants will be. In turn should help determine light coverage. T-5 CFL with proper color or MH or LED for Veg, Wattage will be a big factor as well. I started with a MH/HPS does either at 400 Watt moved on to K3 450 Kind LED. Not to over whelm but get these things figured out now before the girls get bigger. So you dont waste your time. Lots of great ppl on here, I like your nute selection, remember most nutes feeding schedule is based on 1000 watts, so feed 1/4 of reccomended to start when its time. Your lights still seem small, may have the girls stretching a little.
Good luck

3 Likes

Your right, closet is a bit small, will go ahead and get measurements soon. I’m upgrading the lights as well, will keep an eye out for T-5 CFLs just worried about blowing a fuze! I have a really old house (wiring, plumbing, construction as a whole) so hopefully more CFLs wont crash the whole setup :slight_smile:

Yeah for sure that’s a great start and as you can afford you can get their add on supplements if you wish
A lot of the peeps here use their soil also
I haven’t tried it personally yet but after reading what everyone else has to say about it I plan on it next grow . And that’s some good advice that @Maxchill
Gave you :+1::ok_hand:also if power is a problem you might wish to consider led light since they are so efficient :white_check_mark:
Maybe @Majiktoker or @MacGyverStoner could give you some solid advice to get you started proper with out wasting your time or $ ?
Thanks guys

1 Like

Led lights are worth it, mars hydro lights are semi cheap and work great I think you can get a 2 piece (2 pannels) for roughly 150-175$ but they are worth it and about what your need for your grow area

2 Likes

MarsHydro is a very good light ive grown with them for 5 full grows ive got 2 classic 600’s with no uv or ir and still get 2-4 oz. Dry a plant. Hope this helps

1 Like

Thanks, great stuff you all are giving me!! Due to all the great advice I am finally starting to see great growth!! I’ve measured the closet at a space of 3x2x7 ideally 6sq feet hoping to get 1 plant per sq foot. Will be getting a 2 panel LED after Christmas, the price & energy efficiency bit sold me :smile: hoping it will come in right at my flowering stage.

@Maxchill yout right, my babies are stretching!! I have the lamps pretty close and as far as wattage im at 300CFL should I upgrade now or wait till I transplant & start my veg? I can afford to get my 1000W CFL now, but was hoping that could wait… If you think it’s dire, I will go today lol :wink: Also, I went ahead and started LST with the plants that are stretching, let me know whatcha think of the pics (hoping I did it right).

A question I do have, my fan leaves (I think) are still curled under, I see pics of other grows with the leaves straight out… Could this be due to low humidity? For some reason I cannot get my humidity above around 30%, even with 2 cups o water :frowning:

you will want to separate the 2 plants in 1 pot soon before roots start to entangle

2 Likes

If they curl up than, that would be due to heat. Use a 16 oz spray bottle spray the whole bottle in your room, it should raise it

1 Like

My grow room gets too dry also, especially now as our temp is anywhere from 30 degrees to below zero outside and the indoor heat is on a lot. I put a small humidifier in there and now I’m keeping it about 50%. I am fairly new at growing too and I know any information is helpful. Good luck with your girls.

1 Like

@Lo4Grow, I am pretty sure a 200watt CFL replaces 400 watt MH so if your running 300 your good keep the light close but always check for too close. From what I read your in Veg. I know there seedlings but its all veg time. Imho. I would switch to LED when they arrive, use manufacture light distance. Its’the opposite of what you think LED starts about 36 inches away from tops and wrok down to about 28 inches. Again pay attention LED will “light burn” not heat burn. As for LST I usually wait until I have about 4-5 nodes then top wait for new branches, I kind of view the stem as leave alone in early stage but adding support is ok, dont forget to have a little fan blowing on them, gets the stem strong and moves air, both very good. This type of grow is targeted for SCROG or maintaining your plant canopy all the same height for maximum light coverage and bud development growers on here seem to kill it with scrog. I am just starting I am getting better 3rd scrog coming up. Also with your more plant oriented questions keep asking cuz I still do. Good luck have fun.

2 Likes

@Maxchill, a 200 watt cfl is far from replacing a 400 watt metal halide bulb

4 Likes

Thanks @Majiktoker dont know what the hell I was thinking brain fart. My appologies @Lo4Grow I am defiantly off on what I was talking about sorry.

2 Likes

Hello all, checking in with progress on the closet grow! First things first, I am seeing major growth not only in leaves but also roots (hence my clear solo cup setup with homemade stand to sheild light :slight_smile: )definately transplanting tomorrow into 1 gal pots. Will be scouring grow forums for transplanting my twins (2 plants 1 cup’s) without damaging roots if they happen to be entangled :wink:

I have still been watering every other day and spritzing foliage in a.m. 24-7 light unless out for feeding. I recently fed with FF Big Bloom however 1/4 less than recommended amount (scared of burning) and every other other grow lol.

My humidity has gone up :sunny: tried the spraying walls & carpet of closet but within an hour it had dropped. Went ahead and got a beach towel, completely soaked it, and put in with the girls… Within no time humidity was up to 55%-60% :blush: super stoked its keeping steady, just have to dunk the towel every other day while out for feeding. Also, Iwent ahead and removed LST pins… dont want to stress the girls out too much especially at this stage, but will go with SCROG for my veg! Still unclear on “topping” so I will have to also look more into that, I believe the part I cut or clip has appeared, (small little tentacles?) but want to be sure I dont do something I will regret!

Put my order in for my LED, (couldnt wait :sunglasses:) it should be in Thursday pics coming soon! BTW went with LED:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

5 Likes