2 Purple Kush Autos
Happy Frog/perlite
3gallon fabric
D.O.B. 12/01

I did my first water to runoff today.
Runoff Ph 4.8 and 5.0
All water ph’d to 6.5 going in.
Ppm 1875/2400

Im gonna ph water to 6.8 and maybe some dolomite.

How does this happen ?

1 Like

Fertilizer salts build up over time and drag the pH in your soil down. Happy Frog will return to a pH of ~6.5 with a good flush.

2 Likes

Hopefully this’ll get the soil back in line. Welcome back homey!!

1 Like

Its 30 days old happy frog fresh out of bag. Had this problem with a photo on last grow. I’ll throw some dolomite in there. I have 2 do si do photos that are 10 days old , same medium. I have high hopes for. Should I add dolomite to all 4 ? or wait to runoff the photos ?

Something isn’t right then. It’s not normal to have such a high PPM from soil that has not had some type of amendment added. You may have gotten a wonky bag of Happy Frog.

Dolomite lime can stabilize pH, but it really can’t be used to raise pH in an appreciable way.

1 Like

Ill say one thing.
There are more rocks in this bag than I’d care for…
I had the same low ph problem last grow. Wtf. Im trying to stay on top of this. Everything gets measured with freshly calibrated apera.

2 Likes

We see wonky soil a couple of times a year around here. It’s rare, but it does happen at times.

1 Like

Also remember to check the tds of run off too .

@Sizzzl Had same issue with FFHF this summer. Soil was about 4.8PH out of the bag. Added dolomite and used higher PH’d water water. Actually transplanted a Gelato because it was very sensitive to the PH. Did manage to get then to harvest. Using Coast of Maine Stonington blend. Good luck!

1 Like

The shelf life of fox farm soils is limited. Around six months comes to mind. Possibly this bag, although newly bought by you, may have sat in a warehouse. Hard to say but it does happen. When I used soil I learned to do a slurry test of new soil so I knew on the front end what I was dealing with.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Top dress with FFOF, worm casings, and dolomite. PH all water going in. Good flush needed.
I spent too much time avoiding dolomite in spring grow soil mixed. Took forever to get PH down. First readings at week five 5.2, now, months later, 6.8 (yesterday, with 6.8 for the last few months going in, always). Flushes never helped, just drown plants. Hydrophyllic grower with hydrophobic soil, go figure.

Table spoon of baking soda per gallon of water will get your PH up.

So what would you do if slurry test says ph is like 5 ? Other than not use it ?
Girls are a month old now. @beardless

You are right in saying I would not use it. At least for the current planting. I would add microbes (mycorrhizae, or a mix like recharge) with some dolomite lime and let it cook for a couple weeks. I would use a fresh bag for the current plants.
You can add lime to the top of the pots. I’m not sure of the proper amount though. Eventually it will raise the ph. I would add microbes too. It speeds up the process.
I also added crushed limestone to my water. Some is dissolved and help raise ph incrementally.

1 Like

@Sizzzl Just looked back at my notes, @graysonhad recommended 1/4 to 1/2 cup of dolomite. I added a 1/2 cup and had to add some so more a month or so later. Someone ( can’t remember who) said to mix some into h2o.