First True Leaves an Odd Color?

Hi there. First time grower here. I have 4 seedlings that produced their first true set of leaves. I’m very excited but I’m noticing that 2 of the 4 seedlings have a very healthy dark green coloration for their new leaves while the other 2 appear much lighter green. Is this variation between plants normal?

All seedlings are planted in a soil specifically for starting seedlings containing a very low level of added nutrients. I have added nothing extra. I don’t have a PH meter yet, but my water seems pretty good for all my other gardening (hasn’t harmed other seedlings) and I’m leaving it out overnight to get rid of any purifying agents it might contain.

Have attempted to keep plants damp without going nuts on the water, and am applying water in small increments.

Also, this is a balcony grow and I did have one hot day 23 degrees while I was at work so I gave them a good soaking but other than that I’ve attempted to keep my water applied in small increments.

I’m attempting to attach two pics so you can see the difference in coloration. Thanks for any opinions you’d care to share. Much appreciated!

…too wet, that’s what the white is, dry them out and you have to PH adjuster water.
-Good luck

1 Like

Yep, agree with paranorman… Over watering can cause just as many issues as under watering

Hi Paranorman and BondPacker. Many thanks for posting with your thoughts. Appreciated! Although this picture was taken immediately after I had misted them (it had been a hot day and the soil had dried to about 3/4 of an inch below the surface) I will go even lighter on my watering in the future. Being new at something always entails a learning curve. :wink:

Really appreciate your taking the time to reply!

I agree, but here’s a reminder that sativa dominant strains will always have lighter green leaves then indica dominant strains. Plus even seeds from the same hybrid mother may vary genetically in the sativa/indica ratio.
Like children, each plant is different and you just have to get to know them as they grow.

Thanks @Sir_Charles_Kane, that makes me feel a little better. The good news is that there has been no additional yellowing and only one of the plants has not returned to a healthier color. The pics I included were right after misting in response to coming home to my plants after a particularly hot day. Even so, I suspect that over watering may have been the culprit. I’m now letting the soil dry out a little more before each watering and putting a little less water on each seedling when it is time to water. This seem to be putting things right.

Now I’m looking forward to finding out what mistake I will be making next as a new grower!

I just keep reminding myself that _‘it’s a process’ and that ‘mistakes are the paving stones on the road to success’ [so long as you are willing to learn from them]’

Thanks for weighing in with your insight :slight_smile:

I repot every month for the first three month going from a 4" pot to a gallon nursery liner to a five gallon Home Depot bucket thar I drill a dozen 1" holes into the bottom and bottom outside edges for perfect drainage.

But the real trick is the potting mix when they are seedlings. Fox Farms Ocean Forest is the best basic blend. But if you have a heavy hand watering, or feel you need to water often because of the heat, add up to 25% by volume of perlite, that white popcorn looking stuff. It’s stupidly expensive in garden shop bags but if you have a real farm or greenhouse supply house nearby, you can buy a lifetime supply for about $25.

My final hint is insulation. I grew orchids in Las Vegas and know the problems with heat, lack of humidity and too much sun.
I found that if you place your growing pot into a BIGGER pot and then fill the space between them with perlite, it acts like a thermos bottle. The inside pot stays cool and out of the sun while the heat dissipates in the insulation layer. If it really gets bad, you can even water just the perlite layer between the pots with cool water and you won’t drown the actual plant. Plus it gives off humidity as the water evaporates from the perlite.

Too complicated? Well at least rotate your pots a quarter turn every watering. The sun heats up the side of the black pot facing it and this built up heat ultimately kills the roots on the side facing the sun. Turning it gives the roots a chance to recover for a few days every week.

Hope this all helps. I’m Tsunami Tropicals Ltd on MassRoots if you need me.

1 Like