First-timer with stretched seedlings

These seedlings are now just 6 days old. Got 18 out of 20. Not bad. I’m worried about the mention of “stretched” seedlings in the grow bible. My son (more experienced) wants me to move these to bigger pots and to bury much of the stem. He says this creates a strong root system from the stem that gets buried.

I’m afraid to do this. Any advice on burying these stems and/or transplanting to a bigger (final?) pot?

Thanks. Growing in MA.

Bob

1 Like

Uhh, forgot the pictures…but I cant’ see how to post them…

4 Likes

Photos would help. They should be transplanted with about one inch of stem below the leaves. That is pretty sound advice.

2 Likes

Your son is right, it is a very common practice to bury the stem if you get a little bit to much stretch.

3 Likes

Hey Bob, I’m MA too!

Always maintain the same soil line when transplanting, never above (hump) or below (bury).

They may need more light, they tend to stretch in low light, I use a stainless steel wire guard to protect the seedling from falling over when sprouts are most vulnerable, I never bury the stems, they can rot.

1 Like

pictures added to the previous post…thx

photos added above

1 Like

I would definitely get them into 5 gallon smart pots asap. Bury the stem so there’s an inch above the soil.

1 Like

I too used to be afraid to bury too deep. If you know anything about gardening then you know never to bury above the previous soil line. However, you can safely bury stems on marijuana plants without worry of rotting the stem. They will grow new roots along that long, buried stem, so listen to your son and transplant them into bigger pots about an inch away from the leaves. He’s right, it will work. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah buddy, go ahead and bury it, I do it when mine stretch. My roots end up so thick my fabric pots sounds like a drum if I smack the side. And I have to end up putting more of my medium because roots are pushing up above

2 Likes

Hi there - another Mass grower here - I buried my stems with no issues. Best of luck to you, Jeb

1 Like

You should also address the real problem here: the fact that your light is not sufficient. You definitely need a lot more light on those pretty little ladies!

2 Likes

Many thanks to all of you!!! So glad that I joined the forum. We will update you on the progress.

Thanks again.

Bob

2 Likes

I jumped the “gun” with my first two AK47’s and got the legs, long, long legs. So, I tore the bottoms off another 2 compost pots and used them to cover the legs up with dry potting soil. Now I can water from the bottom while the buried stems are rooting. This should lessen the chance of stem rot.

2 Likes

OK, skinny ladies now moved and covered, and more light. These are headed outdoors, whenever spring happens to arrive in MA. Typically, sadly, late April. So lighting will likely have to change before then.

3 Likes

We are still a bit paranoid (actually me…Kam says be patient) about these White Widow babies. They are now under a different light and the coverage is good. All have grown noticeably in one day. Moving them from their very small pots to these took care of the stretching by burying up to one inch below the leaf. I’m not sure if we should do some more burying, or if this “stretch” is OK.

Also, here is a link to the light.

Thanks again for your comments and help. Ready for Nor’Easter’ number THREE in two weeks!

Bob

1 Like

Sorry to jump in! Mine are the same… are we saying transplant into their forever pots? X

Transplant when they are ready if not prop them up so they dont fall over. Use a pencil or anything in the soil and a bread tie and make sure they are held up. If you do decide to transplant then you can bury most of that stem. Leave your 2 feeder leaves about 1 or 2 inches above soil line. The stem thats burried will grow roots. And get lighting closer. If thats not enough try a couple daytime cfl 23w over them i believe they are
23w 100w equivalent. 6500k color that will help and you can keep cfl 3 in away or so they dont produce much heat.

Listen to your son,bury the stem all the way to thebottom of the leaves.

Mine are outside so I only have what light God gives me. We are getting intense sunlight here in the south so I’m wondering about the conclusion about enough light. Would be interested knowing if there are any other causes ? I heard a term - “lolly pop” - are you able to shed more light on what that actually is and is that something that I should do with this very long stem ? - thanks