First Timer - Tangie plants - They look ready to top or fim. Are they? Please help

Found the seeds for these so not sure if they are male/female… any wisdom will be appreciated.

1 Like

Not quite ready to fit or top… I wait until I have at least 6 solid nodes and to after the 6th… some do 5…

@Caligurl has you covered. I top at five depending on how the plant looks. happy growing :rofl: :bat:

3 Likes

Right on Caligurl and thecount13. Thanks :smile:

1 Like

I also agree on 5 depending on strain.
Do your roots a favor and cut the peat moss pantyhose stuff off. After last years harvest I noticed that stunted the root growth.

1 Like

Thanks @Survivour561
I went ahead and loosened up what I could. Will probably not use the pucks next grow around lol

2 Likes

I literally topped one of my test plants after the 3rd node was well established….you might lose 2-3 days growth time but you’ll love the results. Death is these plants is a fine line between east to kill and hard to kill….don’t be afraid to push the limits you might like the results

2 Likes

Thanks Grizz! I think I have 5 nodes already. I could definitely top or FIM this one

4 Likes

Topping that one will make it bush out WAY more than it already is….if ya top it give it like 3 days then bend it over it might just give ya a better idea of what topping and LST actually do…aside from creating a better plant it allows creative and knowledge from trial and error…it allows you to adapt your own style of growing that actually works and shows progress for YOU and not your online journals. This is what this site has taught me and I’m super happy with my results so far thanks to everyone I’ve spoke with on here:

TOPPED almost a week ago now right here:

Then bent over for other tops to come into play(have a plan):

There for real isnt a wrong way to do anything unless it shows negative results that result in death….the worst I’ve done so far is stress a plant HARD and hermie it out….EXTREMELY hard to kill these plants…hope this helps :sunglasses::+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks buddy for the info and encouragement!!
Gonna post a few new pics next :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the famous words of Joe Dirt: Life’s a Garden ya dig it…just gotta keep on keepin on :sunglasses::call_me_hand:t2:

1 Like

Update on my outdoors Tangie ladies but a recap before the pics:

Most of you said that it was too early to top or FIM so I chose to wait.
I think they are doing well at around 4 weeks. No added nutrients yet - FFOF soil. It rained a bit here last weekend so I haven’t watered in over a week. I have fertilizer ready for them but soil is still moist. I am thinking about maybe topping one and just doing LST for the other or a combination of both for one.

Thanks y’all and stay tuned!!

1 Like

Just from seeing them today you could top them both and not worry about a thing they’re so healthy….but again topping kinda leads you down a certain distinct path whereas just letting it grow will keep most options on the table all the way to flower time and when the plant actually switches….just food for thought but they look good and will be watching

~grizZz

1 Like

@Caligurl @grizZz @Survivour561 @PurpNGold74 @PiratedSoldier

So I am doing LST on both tangies. Here is a look at one of them:

I used pipe cleaners with very little tension. They work wonders…copied this from Bill Ward (youtube).

This pic is for someone to please tell me what those two small growths are (not the growths coming off crevice of fan leaf I cut but closer to stem/trunk.

1 Like

Those are stipules, nothing to worry about, you will see those at almost every node.

3 Likes

Called stipules. The lil pokey green things? No idea what they do. But they are a thing… i guess lol. Not pistils or sacks so false alarm

Arghhh Cody and them fast fingers lol

3 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

You are growing outside right? You may not even need to top them as some plants get pretty bushy without it. And since you are outside height isnt a big issue… unless it is?
Niether if these pkants have been topped or fimmed or supercropped

If I was to top the plant on the left it would be too dense and prone to molds and bad ventilation, more shade on the inner parts of the plant too. So its ok to NOT top a cannabis plant. Training like that is primarily intended to keep big plants small… like for indoor crops.
Not saying topping is bad for outdoor, but it isnt always required for a big yield. Depends on how your plant structures itself. Remember, outdoors, the sun has much better penetration than indoors. Light power is consistent from top to bottom unlike an artificial grow.
While topping will double branch count it does so at the expense of slowed upward growth, it also creates potential weak unions that may require repair and definitely require additional support :wink:

4 Likes

Yes, outside and I have several spots I can move them if necessary. The topping/FIM’ng was really for my own education as I am a newbie. Love your ladies there, beautiful.

4 Likes

So you can actually google stipules in a marijuana plant and it will tell you that their function is truly unknown but that in other plants stipules eventually may become thorns….I personally think they have something to do with the actual sex of the plant…I might even wager that that plant is female…:grin:

4 Likes