First timer seeking advice

First time grower here. Haven’t gotten started yet, still setting up and waiting on a few more supplies. I’ve been reading and watching videos like crazy. I’d like to get some insight from a professional. When I germinate and plant my seeds, can I put them in my grow tent and use that lighting immediately (2 1000w leds), or do I need to start off elsewhere?

3 Likes

You will want something smaller than 2 1000w lights

2 Likes

Two 1000 LEDs? real at meter drawing how much?

Welcome to the community.

1 Like

Welcome aboard. You sure can. That tent can be your complete grow space. I would suggest a seedling heat mat. Cheap. If lights too bright then raise or dim or put the little girls out of direct light. Since lights wont be full blast the mat will keep the roots nice and happy.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Your in a good place to find an answer to any questions you may have along the way.

The GG4s and runtz I’m growing right now went from a wet paper towel when the tail popped into coco under a 350R. Just make sure you start off very low intensity. Low setting and about 24"+ above your sprouts. A lot of people start with fluorescents or a low powered LED. You can do it either way if you control the height and intensity.

Edit: your 1000 w LEDs are most likely 100 watts at most each in reality. Companies label their lights that way to trick new growers IMO. For example the Vivosun VS 1000 and VS 2000 are 100 and 200 watts.

1 Like

Welcome aboard we are happy to have ya here to begin you’ve got nothing but great responses so far id also like to ask the brand and model of the lights you currently have already as well as the size of your tent/grow space you plan on growing in?

1 Like

I appreciate all the responses everybody! Seeing a lot of questions on the lights, and that’s actually what I’m waiting for to arrive. So I’m not 100% certain.

2 Likes

Can’t say for sure yet. The lights are what I’m waiting for to arrive and it’s not looking good.

Probably everyone on here has bought lights that were sub par at one time or another either buying into some advertising, or hype. Now that I’ve been around this hobby for so long, I now realize that lighting is THE thing. There’s no cheaping out on it. You can get away with saving some cash in other areas, but not lighting. HLG is a safe bet.

5 Likes

It’s looking like I may be getting scammed. Ordered my lights as part of a kit and I’m getting the run around on those and my filter system. Where do you recommend buying from?

1 Like

All I can tell you is HLG lighting is considered by many as the go,d standard of led lighting, but it’s fairly expensive. I use an hlg 350r in a 2x4 tent, and I get very good results. I bought a refurbished one, and used code DUDE for a discount. I think a lot of people use Spider Farmer because it’s a little cheaper. I think it boils down to the diodes used. My understanding is the Samsung lm301b are the best right now.

4 Likes

Where did you purchase your lit from by chance and what kit was?

1 Like

Purchased from Dealzer. 5x10 tent kit.

1 Like

I’m sure I found your kit I have never heard of this company site before I do happen to see tho that the kit you purchased comes with 2 Mars Hydro lights but they don’t look adequate for that size tent I’ve also never heard of the tent brand before either to be completely honest with you I would not have purchased from that site I feel as if you 1 not only overpaid but aren’t getting the quality compared to the price you paid plus I’m not sure if the site is a legitimate or not as well, unfortunately, I personally would cancel the order if you haven’t received anything yet and I could point you in the right direction

4 Likes

Bingo, what he said. ^^^^^

1 Like

I did receive the tent, and I must say I’m very impressed with the quality. However I ordered much more than that and have received none of it. And when I call, the conversation is very unprofessional and seems that it’s not sincere. I’m up for any tips to point me in the right direction. That k you!

2 Likes

Like I said personally id return everything if possible and start over fresh is there any reason you are going for such a large tent out the gate how many plants are you planning on growing at a time?

2 Likes

also, do you have a budget youd like to stay within do you have an idea of what kind of nutrients you want to use synthetic or organic also what type of growing medium Soil,Coco,Hydro?

1 Like

Seems people get hung up over LED “wattage”. wattage for brightness used to work when light output was a direct result of wattage. But things have changed and the terms we used for reference no longer apply in any meaningful way. So, when an LED company says “2000 watts” or whatever, what they are “trying” to say is it is similar in brightness to a 2000 watt incandescent light. I prefer to compare based on actual light output rather than power consumption because manufacturers do not use the same reference it makes it difficult to compare apples to apples. while marketing hype and inflated numbers are a real thing, I don’t actually believe that they are trying to pass off a 200 watt light for a 2000 watt one. It’s just a number that we mostly understand. making it easier for the uninitiated to understand with little specialized experience. Wattage draw and light intensity are not equal across all types of LEDs, so I would use it as a very rough guide when purchasing a product you are unfamiliar with. And you can always send it back if it doesn’t meet your expectations.

1 Like