First timer, please evaluate my plants

Hi
First timer here. My plants are about 25 days old, upgraded from 15w LED to 300W 8 days ago. I’m wondering if they are growing well? They are about 4" tall and bushy. Had trouble germinating (my technique) and lost 4 seeds :-(.

Recently transplanted to 5 gallon cloth pots, soil 6.5 ph. Using Fox Farms Grow Big.

Plants are on soil warming mat.

These are WW AF.

Thanks for input!

5 Likes

Welcome…! Looking good although regular light is always better, heating mats are great just know that they will dry your soil out quick so keep an eye that they don’t get too hot

Maybe you could tell us about how you start seeds and you could likely get some pointers here?

• best of luck!
4 Likes

Hi and welcome! :+1: Looks good so far :slight_smile:

Any reason you didn’t fill your pots up further?

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply!

In an effort to keep energy costs low, I went with LED. I hope to grow some plants outside this summer, as well.

I live in New England, USA and although we are having a mild winter, my basement only recieves ambient heat from our furnace, so the mat is helping my grow tent stay warm. I can only guess at the temperature at being about 68-70 degrees, I plan to invest in some climate monitoring tech, just trying to keep it simple and costs down while I’m learning.

In terms of germination, I’m having problems getting sprouts.

My first four seeds I just placed into peat pots, and after about 8-9 days when they didn’t sprout, I gently unearthed them and placed them in a paper towel to see if I could resurrect them, I did get three tiny white roots, but they didn’t sprout when I replanted them :slight_frown:

I contacted ILGM and they kindly referred me to the germination instructions - these two plants came from seeds that I dropped in water, it took nearly 1- 3 days before they had roots, my larger plant sent out a root after <24 hours, the smaller plant took nearly 3 days.

I now have one seed floating in a darkened cup of water, and I plan from now on to only start one seed at a time to ensure I’m giving it the care it needs. I’ve read so many methods for germination online, it’s hard to decide what is best! I have some more seeds coming, hoping for better results. Up to now I think the issue was with my care in starting, not the seeds themselves. My next set of seed contains Northern Lights (regular - I want to learn to distinguish male am female plants as well as generating clones), and I’ve also got some Gold Leaf feminized coming ( so I can learn to stimulate flowering).

In response to the question about my soil depth, I was just leaving a bit of sidewall as “insulation” against drafts on my seedlings.

Thanks for your warm welcome and comments!

3 Likes

I paid 8 bucks at Walmart for a little temperature humidity meter

You mentioned your low temperatures, your problem could be you’re not providing bottom heat for seeds to sprout

if you don’t have a propagation mat keep them on heating pad or on a cable box, you want around 80 degrees and 75-85 should be the zone you keep them in at all times …good luck

2 Likes

@Sl1

Welcome to ILGM

I see that you have just met some of our finest group of members and believe me there are plenty more to come and help.
@bob31 and @Boston56 we have another one from New England so you should feel wright at home. Use regular light for clear pictures
I myself am from New England so your not alone lol

Will

ya

3 Likes

@Sl1

Hey, good luck with your new little plants.

The next time you go to germinate some seeds, try this little set up like I use.
I use the wet paper towel method inside the small plastic container, which creates a humidity Dome.
I don’t use a propagation mat, but what I do use is a enclosed CFL flood light.
Which shines down on it to create warmth, and humidity inside the container.
Just open it once or twice a day to allow fresh air in.
I have rarely ever lost a seed this way.
Check on them daily, and when your Taproot is about 1/4 inch long plant them into soil about 1/8, to 1/4 inch deep.
Keep the soil around the seedling area moist but not wet with a spray bottle a couple times a day.
Some people swear by the water in the cup method. But… I was told that there is a chance of the seedling drowning once the shell cracks open… so I’ve just never done it that way.
There are lots, and lots of methods. I just thought I would share mine because I’ve always had a great success.

3 Likes

Welcome @Sl1 to ilgm forums. Bunch of guys and gals on here from MA. Some of us are doing our first grows as well and well we’re all in this together! Feel free to tag one of us if you need help or have questions.

I have a bs thread you can come over there and B’s with anyone anytime as there is no topic.

Here is the link

http://ilgmforum.com/t/thoughts-from-the-morning-garden/8897?u=bob31

All are welcome. Bring your favorite beverage and smoke!

4 Likes

Wow-thanks once again for these helpful advice!

Here are some pictures taken tonight under room lighting - my bigger girl has gotten even bigger while I was at work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcom Si1,and thanks for the info,your girls are looking good,keep up the good grow :+1::+1:

1 Like

We should rename our state,since we have Masshole,coruptachussets
,how about Massauana ))

1 Like

All politics aside :-), the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is the finest, fairest state in the US! :blush:

2 Likes

Welcome to the ILGM Mad Scientist group ! Glad to have you here. Your plants look great. Are you going to start a Grow Journal ? It really helps if you have problems in the future (we almost all have problems to begin with). If you do, a support ticket will help get to the bottom of the problem faster. Here is a copy you can cut and paste on your journal and answer the questions as best you can. Good start so far, keep it going ! Jerry

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA
ILGM Support Ticket:
What is the strain and type(unknown bag seed, strain name, regular seeds, feminized seeds, auto-flower, etc)?
Indoor or Outdoor? If outdoor, planted in ground or in a container?
Size of space (max height and area, length/width)?
Soil or Hydro? Type of Medium used? System type?
pH? Of the soil or medium (root zone/reservoir/run-off) and of the water and/or nutrient mix that is fed to the plant?
Type and strength of nutrients used? NPK? EC/TDS/PPM levels? Of what you feed it as well as what is in the water by itself and in the soil/medium (run-off), or reservoir.
Temperature? Day vs. night temp or highest and lowest temps? Root zone temps?
Humidity %? Day vs. night
Light system/watts/lumens/FLUX/PAR?
Ventilation system? Size? CFM? CO2? AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier?
Number “weeks/days” from into Season, Vegetative Growth or Bloom/flowering?
Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but try to be brief and to the point. Short and to the point questions and/or facts will help us help you

1 Like

Absolutely,been her alonnnnggg time,wouldnt give it up for nothing…Love Mass.

Updated 2/13
NAILGM Support Ticket: What is the strain and type: WWAF seeds from ILGM 1/9/17
?Indoor or Outdoor? : Indoor, 2 x 8, 15 W LED until 1/25, increased to 300w 9 band LED Hydrogrow mini w fan when 14 days old (approximate)
Soil or Hydro? Soil, transplanted to 5 gal cloth, Kellogg Organics container mix, fed 1/2 strength Fox Farm Grow big 1/28
System type?pH? 6.5 soil pH at transplant *** have recently read poor online reviews for this soil so have ordered Fox Farms Happy Frog
Of the soil or medium (root zone/reservoir/run-off) and of the water and/or nutrient mix that is fed to the plant? - ordered pH meter 2/10.
Type and strength of nutrients used? NPK? EC/TDS/PPM levels? Have fed FF Grow Big 1/2 strength 3 times
Of what you feed it as well as what is in the water by itself and in the soil/medium (run-off), or reservoir. NA
Temperature? Day vs. night temp or highest and lowest temps? 75-77 when lights on (18 hr). Don’t know how low it goes when off.
Root zone temps?Humidity %? Day vs. nightLight system/watts/lumens/FLUX/PAR?Ventilation system? Size? CFM? CO2? AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier?: humidity ranges 36-50%
Number “weeks/days” from into Season, Vegetative Growth or Bloom/flowering?Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer: plants are approx 35 days since seed on 2/13

Plants have nearly doubled in four days! Have started another WW - floated 24 hr, then 2 days in paper towel, into jiffy pot 2/13, in plastic dome, on heat mat, in window for natural light. Will have a proper journal on this one :slight_smile:

Pics today

5 Likes

They are looking great. Hope they grow into amazing girls for you
:cherry_blossom:

1 Like

Looking really nice. Keep up the good work !

What was the problem with the soil? They look really healthy.

@TxGrowman thank you!

The issue with the soil was it got a bunch of negative online reviews…I just feel better going forward using soils that are reviewed here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like u are bout to run into " is it nute burn, too much water, r nitrogen toxicity type problems." hopefully not, but they’re looking similar to mines& those where my questions. Good luck. Still fighting my problem b4 ut gets out if hand

1 Like

Keep up the good work like everyone says if you have any questions please feel free to ask anyone to good growing and good friends have a great day

1 Like