First timer, outside garden, Central Va

I found the meter to be more a pain in the but than anything. I paid to much attention to what the meter said than what was ‘really’ happening in the soil.
I find that each plant requires different amounts of water during different phases. All the following will effect water.
Veg vs. flower. Temperatures. Soil retention. Size of container. Strain of plant. Style of container. Time of day you water. Amount you water. I’m sure there are plenty more factors.

This is kinda my gauge. I grow in 50 gallon fabric bags. I first find out ‘about’ how much fresh water it takes to get some run off. (About 5 gallons. during veg.) This is becomes my starting/base amount. Every weekend They will get about 4.5-5 gallons of tea. Any more and it would be a waste in my opinion.
If I feed Sat. morning I’m truly ok tell Mon. morning. I may give them alittle water on Sun. if it’s super duper hott out.
From here on out it’s fresh water Mon.-Fri. about 4 gallons. This allows the plants to dry out a good amount but not enough to wilt.
You be the judge of the first 3 inches of soil. Simply use your finger and the instrument.

Find your run off amount and start there… You got this :wink:
Happy growing…

2 Likes

well, im 1 for 10 so far. all the seeds grew tap roots, so far only one had sprouted, and Im not too co fident about that one.

using miracle gropitring mix… dont know what could be wrong… kinda bummed

I had to reread the thread to make sure there had been no mention of Miracle Grow. Someone probably would have said something if it had. Miracle Grow is not usually recommended for cannabis grows. That’s all I’ve got.

2 Likes

its been a few weeks… but I had some issues. killed 10 seeds with the miracle gro potting mix. switched over to fox farms, and I’m 4/4

August 6th

August 15th

August 21st

2 Likes

I have been getting close to the point where I want to top… because its my first time, I was planning on leaving 1 grow natural, FIM one, top another 1 time. and top the last twice…

question, has anyone topped, and then FIM’d? how did that work out for you?

1 Like

@Tylersays @Oldstoner @Stizzy92

Autos or photos?
If you’re in Central Virginia and you’re trying to grow outdoors you don’t really have time for anything really. Indoors is a whole different story as you control the seasons.
Every training technique is gonna set the plant back a little and we’ve got about a month before we hit 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of dark. Mature plants are already going into flower actually.
You usually don’t want to do anything, maybe LST, but cutting is generally saved for after the 5th node forms.

Both techniques can be used to increase single plant yields but more it’s really too late in the season to do anything.

Happy Growing Everyone!!

these are not autos… and its not too late. its perfect timing for a learning experience. should be just fine for a late October harvest. yeah, they’re 4 weeks behind my ideal target start time, and they may have to stretch into November. doesn’t get too cold here, and if it does. oh well… next batch will be indoors.

1 Like

Go for it dude!!
You might get away with a small bud or two and that would be if you didn’t chop on them, but knock yourself out!
Best of Luck to you!

I guess there’s always that one person that knows best eh?

And in this case - I guess that’s you.
No need to be a smart ass dude, you asked for opinions, I gave you mine and I 100% stand by it.
Best of Luck with your grow - Now that I know YOU’RE the expert I’ll ignore this thread.

Have a GREAT DAY and Happy Growing!

I agree with Tyler. If those plants were mine, I’d leave them alone if I hoped for an early November harvest.

If, on the other hand, you are willing to risk this year’s outdoor crop for the education you will then use to maximize next year’s, that’s cool too.

Last year’s harvest was done late Oct. Our winters are fairly mild and I have no doubt I could have had plants into late Nov and early Dec. I’ll put that to the test this year. I put plants out late Feb and early Mar and harvested several in May this year . I learned that after Mar don’t put any plants out until late Jun.

While someone might say, “You can’t” or “You shouldn’t”, I say, “Why not?”.

Live and learn and grow…

1 Like

exactly.

Genetics and environment grow marijuana plants - NOT wishful thinking.
We have less than 1 month of light periods above 12 and 12.
By the time we hit that level vertical growth will CEASE and all the energy of the plant will be put into growing flowers - THIS IS A FACT - NOT AN OPINION.
You will see vertical growth in the bud but not the plant.
Every time you force stress on the plant it slows down growth - sometimes slightly sometimes dramatically - depends on what you actually do.
Say you top - take back 4-5 days for the plant to recover and begin growing again - you now have 3 weeks of veg light left. How much will a plant grow in 3 weeks? 6 inches - IF you’re lucky. It will probably be more like 2-4 inches - was that worth it to get 2 small buds over one potentially large one?

Just because it’s “warm” doesn’t mean crap if the quality and timing of the available light is useless for vegetative growth.

No where did I say I was an “expert” nor did I say “don’t”, I simply made a suggestion based upon the characteristics of a plant and it’s requirements. Wishful thinking will also not effect those factors.
I also didn’t kill 10 seeds either. EVERY seed I planted, bar one unknown bagseed sprouted and is growing quite well, Thank You.

Best of luck to you!
I’ll be thinking of you while I’m trimming my pound of weed - probably more as MY ladies are HUGE!!

hilariously, comfrey is illegal in the united states, although i can’t figure out if that refers to comfrey products or plants/seeds

What zone are you in? Some people don’t have that much light right now. You may be on the other side of the world from me and therefore be on an opposite timeline from me.

Like I said, there are a lot of people who say you can’t when what they mean is I can’t.

Well whoopdy do and good for you. I’m sure you tied your shoes the first time you tried. Probably a child prodigy.

There is no “right” way to grow weed. There’s what works for me and what works for others and sometimes they are different things.

MJ is a very hardy plant naturally. On it’s own it will grow large plants that produce a lot of bud. Enter the dominant species on the planet and we fold, spindle and mutilate to achieve our desired result. Some people prefer small, tight buds and some prefer monster buds. Some harvest at the first sign of amber and some wait for a more couch lock high. Some won’t even pick off dead leaves and others defoliate to the extreme.

The thing is, you won’t really, really know until you do. Until then it’s really all about what someone else said. Failure is a big part of learning. People who push the boundaries will change the world. People who are content with the same old same old will profit from those changes, too.

1 Like

Yeah I have always liked to fimm instead of top I have done it twice to the same plant but with the pause in growth each time for recovery the stems on my second cut are to thin and whispy and break easily. I top when I screw up and take to much off when fimming

2 Likes

I had a couple of FIMs on a Super Skunk. Next time I’ll just finish the job…

1 Like

why are you an asshole? seriously… did you feel like you had to come in here and comment because you think you’re doing it better? this last bullshit you’ve spewed just proves that you’re just trying to gloat…