First-timer - Need some expertise in diagnosing what's wrong

Hello! First, interestingly, I started a single purple haze seed in FF Happy Frog and 4" peat pots in mid May and it grew into two sprouts! I figured I’d have to trim one, but I waited until I repotted to 3 gallon smart bags do so. When I did, I discovered I had two separate plants with their own taproots! I felt like I hit the jackpot since I’d already had one unsuccessful attempt at sprouting from seed. Two for the price of one!! :laughing:

So now, the Hazel Twins are showing signs of…something. I was thinking it could be that I need to repot again (in 5 gallon bags) since roots are now growing out of the bottom, or that there’s some sort of nutrient deficiency…however, the symptom checker makes me think it’s nute burn. Although, I’m not sure how that can be, given that I have not added any and the soil has been in use for a month by now.

Support Ticket
Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA (purple haze, fem)
Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco? System type? (Soil in 3 gallon cloth pots)
PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? (Runoff: 6.2 on pH meter, 6.5 using pH test indicator solution)
What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS (Not sure what this means exactly, but I transplanted the sprout - started in FF Happy Frog - by using FF Ocean Forest on the bottom third of the bag and filled the top two-thirds with FF Happy Frog 4 weeks ago)
Indoor or Outdoor Light system, size? (Indoor grow tent - 2x2x4 - with 1 300w LED about 15 inches from the top of the tallest sister and 2 Sylvania 5000K CFLs about 9 inches from the top)
Temps; Day, Night (Day - 79 F, Night - 70 F)
Humidity; Day, Night (Varies: 30-59%)
Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size (Yes, 6" inline fan with carbon scrubber)
AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, (NA)
Co2; Yes, No (NA)

I water with distilled every 3-4 days. Both sisters are exhibiting slowed growth and clawing of new fan leaves. Some of the tips are brown and dry. There’s also a slight yellowing between the veins of the leaves. Also, I’m LST-ing to control vertical growth. The foliage close-ups are of the plant on the left in the tent.

Have you feed them any Nutrients yet ?

I have not since I was under the impression that the FF soil was rich enough.

Do you have a tds meter
If so next watering take a reading of run off see what you ppm are I bet it’s low you mixed starter soil with a little bit of ffof soil and I’m thinking they are hungry
What nutes are you using ff?
Also how old are they now from sprout ?

Yes, I do have a tds meter - I’ve never used it.
I water in a few days, so I’ll definitely take your advice. What ppm am I looking for?

Can you elaborate on the “What nutes are you using ff?” question? I haven’t repotted yet, but will plan to repot in FF Ocean Forest.

They are 8 weeks old.

1 Like

Ok so I use fox farm nutrients I use the dirty dozen pack
At 8 weeks from seed your still about 4th week of veg
If using ff feeding schedule you ppm should be in the range of 1700-2100 ppm
Here a copy of there feeding schedule for you

If you look at line above the Big bloom that’s your target ppm range for soil :+1:
I’m at work but tag me if I can be of anymore help
Indoors a five gallon pot is plenty big imo and anything more is a waste of soil
Outdoors I will use bigger pots

3 Likes

This is unbelievably helpful - thank you so much! There is a lot of info out there and a lot of it is conflicting. I will definitely follow up with you!

1 Like

@MintyFresh there is much to know and learn. The important thing is to make informed decisions. If you look at the FoxFarms chart on the fourth line is PPM. What you do is use that TDS meter and measure the water you are going to water with. The TDS should be somewhere between 100 and 300. If using tap water fill up containers and let them sit open for 24-48 hours to allow the chlorine of chlormamine to evaporate.

Record the TDS PPM (note many meters have a 10x indicator that means the 100 reading is actually 1000) and the pH. Adjust the pH to 6.5 for Happy Frog and then water slowly until the water runs out of the pot. Collect some of this runoff and measure the pH and TDS to see where your soil is.

Report those numbers back to us and don’t forget to tag us like this @bob31 @Countryboyjvd1971 and we will give you some more info on that.

Only water when the soil is dry. Use the lift method. Water until runoff and then lift plant to feel the weight. Lift every couple of days to see when light. Could take 5-7 days or more (or less if really dry climate)

Watering on schedule is convenient, however they don’t like their roots sitting in moist soil. they can’t breath as well and prefer dryer soil!

Part of what I am seeing is over-watering and also looks like possible pH issues. Keeping the water in at 6.5 is very important!

Take a look at this chart and see if you don’t see your issue listed! I don’t see the clawing you referred to. @MintyFresh

1 Like

I’m not seeing it. Sure: there’s a couple of burned tips and yeah there are certainly signs of over watering but all in all not in bad health at all! If she’s not an auto maybe it’s time for some LST or supercropping. Good call on the watering @bob31. @MintyFresh if this is your first time growing, you’re doing well!

2 Likes

Yeah, I should have said that too. Overall they look really pretty good. The first couple of times can be pretty overwhelming until you get things sorted out! @MintyFresh @Myfriendis410

1 Like

I’m glad I was able to contribute something meaningful Mr. Mayor lol.

2 Likes

Per the usual! Outta Likes @Myfriendis410 :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes