First timer. My Northern Lights Auto isn't getting bigger

Hey guys. I’m super new to all of this but like others I have read a good bit but am having problems with my Northern Lights Auto being stunted and not getting bigger. Here’s the info I have.

Using 250 watt led light 18/6 light schedule
balanced ph water
Heat and humidity control environment 83f before fan starts and 70% humidity

the first pic is from May 9th and the 2nd pic is from this morning. The plant isnt getting any height to it.
I’ve raisted the light to 32" above plant and reduced the light output to 100w from 250w. I did this 2 days ago in the hopes that that would trigger it to gain some height to it. Am I making a big deal out of nothing or what?

thanks

2 Likes

What is your pH and ppm numbers.

Ph is right between 6/6.5. Im embarrassed to say but IDK what ppm means. lol

Looks like your in hydro I grow in soil but have little knowledge of hydro and for pH you want to be anywhere from 5.6-6.0 range

1 Like

right so I’ll retest the ph but seems like that’s not the cause it the plant being so short.

This whole entire sentence IS the cause. I don’t grow hydro but I do know if you don’t get this down you’re gonna have some major issues.

In hydro you need to know your PPM or EC for feeding it’s an absolute must.

1 Like

The reason I ask is because the leaves swing or curl at the ends and with the pH out of wack it the autos have minds of there own but when something is not correct they go weird

1 Like

I’ll test the water now and get back with yall.

1 Like

I read alot of people say the ph of 5.7-5.9 is the sweet spot for hydro hopefully hydro growers will be able to chime in happy growing :v:

1 Like

yeah I tested the water and it is right in the sweet spot.

That’s good now give it time and hopefully hydro growers can chime in and help ya the rest of the way any other questions feel free to ask away

1 Like

@HappyHydroGrower
You got any help for this Growmie?

3 Likes

Kind of a crap shoot with knowing your reservoir nutrient PPMs :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

I’m using Terra Vega the the local Hydro Store gave me. The roots aren’t to the water yet so I water it with Ph balanced water and a little less than the recommended parts per gallon Terra Vega nutrient. (That’s what the Store guy said to do. He does the same with his plants until the roots reach the water.) I do this daily.

Thanks @BigItch

@Bama looks like your rock wool is way too wet. I’m gonna tag in @Graysin cause he’s pretty good with rock wool. Definitely will be following along so if you have any question, just ask away. Good luck! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Just like @HappyHydroGrower suggested, Your rockwool is too wet. It should be moist but not visibly wet. I can see it in the second photo trying to disintegrate- it won’t ever really because it’s molten rock spun like cotton candy. But it does deform, as you’ve probably noticed.

I highly suggest watering once a day in a ring around the rockwool, not directly on it. This will allow the rockwool to dry out some and allow the roots of your plant to start to leave the rockwool in search of moisture. Don’t allow the rockwool to dry out completely, or she’ll suffer unless her roots are in the water by then. As wet as you’ve got it, you have 3 days easy before you should even consider re-hydrating the cube.

You are definitely right to have reduced down your light, as the second photo is very very dense - no space between the nodes at all. Is she your only plant? If so, perhaps consider reducing your light even further (down to 50w or so) and watch for a little bit of stretch.

Is she in the system now? And if so, have you started the air stones yet? If not, I suggest strongly that you do.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll chill on watering the rockwool like you said. As far as the light… My light only goes down to 100w. So what I have available was a AgroBrite Hydrofarm FLF27DF 27-watt CFL light. I got that on it now. Yes she’s in the system and air stone is bubbling. I have the pump power set in the middle.

1 Like

sorry for the late response I reached my post limit.

All good, we all were there once. :v:

Lower light intensity and less direct watering should clear it right up. Sounds like you’re right on the ball getting potential problems corrected. :100: keep it up.

1 Like

I’m worried that since its an auto that maybe I’m running out of time. it got its first 2 true leaves 2 weeks ago.