First timer looking for tent, light, and filter/vent advice

I’d like to get started with an indoor grow system and have NO experience with growing anything at all. Indoors or out.

Ideally, a larger tent would be nice so I’d have room to grow. I’ve been considering a 60x48x80 tent with a side partition that would enable seedlings/clones using a separate fluorescent lamp. I see Vivosun and Topo Grow both make a version. The Vivosun is slightly more expensive but seems to be of higher quality? I haven’t seen a lot of grow journals on this forum using such a tent so maybe I would be better with a different style?

With regard to lights I had a Burple picked out on amazon but after doing some reading here have decided to not waste money. I really don’t have the budget to afford two HGL 260W XL Rspec LEDs (4 x 4 growing space) so would I be better off just buying one then eventually upgrading to a second one 6 or so months down the road (I’ll need something for both veg and flower stage until then), or going with a Budget series 3 LM301H 250 Led? I found a SQ squared model on sale for $300 (which is supposed to be better for square spaces?) Would either of these lights be enough for the 4 x 4 space on its own? I’m not against buying an HPS light either if I could get close to the same yield and could figure out a way to dissipate heat.

Does anyone have good ventilation/filter recommendations for such a tent? I need something fairly quiet as it will be in the basement in a cinderblock room but still adjacent to my teenage daughter’s room who I’d rather not know what I’m doing. It’s legal here but I’d still rather not have everyone knowing.

2 Likes

I have vivosun tents. Cant complain.

The hlg will flower a 2x4 I dont know what the flowering footprint is on the budget light you mention. Does the budget have red in it as well ?

Maybe @dbrn32 can help. He’s the light wizard lol

2 Likes

I’m running two Budget 3 series rspecs 250 watt in my 4x4. The 2 lights give u more flexibility with height if your canopy is uneven… I used one of them for veg, running at about 50% power, and they vegged great. Then I fired up both for flower. So u could start with one, then get a second when u flip them. I don’t use them for veg now, as I bought a Budget 250 watt veg light for my mothers and clones. By the way, these lights are fantastic! And Budget’s customer service can’t be beat!

3 Likes

@MesialDrift for ventilation check out ac infinity. There products are the best hands down. No need to upgrade if you get them. I have one vivosun tent and one grow lab tent. I like the grow lab more much better quality, but the vivo is good too. Lights I have two 1500 led one cob one burple for my veg tent. 1000w hps in my flower tent, but probably going to switch to hlg 650. Just make sure you have good seeds.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. It looks like the flowering area of the Budget light is 2x4 - so same as the HLG. The difference In price between the two is only $30 so I’ll probably go with whatever is recommended by the consensus here. Or maybe whatever is available - I see the HLGs are sold out on their own website and amazon. It’s a popular time to be in his hobby!

Thanks. I see an option for the 3000k (Veg) and 3500k (flower). I’m guessing if I go with the 3500k I can dim it down to 3000 _ like what you are probably doing now?

Thanks for the suggestion. Would you go for the one with the humidity control built in? I’m also going to need a filter and duct work, right? Sorry for the Newb questions. I just want to get the right equipment before making any mistakes with the actual grow.

Doesn’t work like that, you pick the spectrum you want at purchase, dimming does not change the spectrum. 3000k is for flower, 3500k is more veg and flower.

3 Likes

Yeah get 6 inch that is what you will want. I went with their carbon filter as well. I dont use passive intake as well. I went ahead and got one the 6 inch booster fans too. Keeps my tent a cool 72 degrees with everything going. I got the o e with the humidity and temp controller, so it can shut off when not needed. Saves on a little electricity. No problem with the questions I was the exact same and still ask a bunch of questions.

1 Like

@MesialDrift Just wanted to let you know that I have 2 lights from Budget Led. They are Series 2 260w Rspec Led boards. Extremely happy with lights. There been a few others on forum that I have seen that also bought from Budget and stated they were also pleased with their lights. They grew nice dense buds :+1:

2 Likes

No. A square light in a square space only makes sense if the coverage and radiometric output are proper for the space. If you go that route, when you’re ready to make it complete you’ll end up with 2 square lights that combined won’t work out at all in square space.

As far as budget led goes, it’s a cheap knock off. If that’s the route you want to go, I’m sure they will grow weed. If you want top performance, then go with something from hlg, plc, fluence, timber, or at least someone that doesn’t try to bullshit you.

3 Likes

I’ve got ask with all due respect. You’ve helped me more than once. But are you saying they are not using top bin diodes and using knockoff parts. If they are I would really like to know for sure. I bought mine after you helped me understand why my first grow buds was larfy. I know that on my second run using these lights they produced dense quality buds.

2 Likes

I know they use sub standard elg drivers on at least some of their fixtures. And I know the performance aspects they post are taken from Samsung’s data sheets, not from their own sphere/gonio testing.

In the world we live in, even the lower bin 301b/h are really good. So it doesn’t even really matter to average cat whether they are top bin or not. I suspect they’re not, but does a 3-5% difference in output matter to someone who wants to save $50? Some won’t care, but others will drop several hundred bucks on new leds for an increase like that. All depends on where the individual falls.

2 Likes

So are you saying that they using Samsung data sheets and not their diodes or just that they are not doing their own testing. I’m truly curious about this.

When you say that you suspect that they’re not, is that based on them being a little lower on price or some other factor. I guess the reason I’m interested in this is I had a great experience with them as far as customer service and the excellent results of their lights. Working in the automotive sector and just being aware of how people feel when they have a good experience or a bad experience with any given vehicle and how that sort of sets their mind to have loyalty to that brand or not, is what’s making me be so interested in knowing if these lights are a quality product. Not that matters but this the driver that came with my lights.

1 Like

Yes.

Price has something to go for, but not just falling in line and having 3rd party test report does too.

I guess I feel like if I have to deal with customer service than it’s not all that great of an experience. The best customer service is the one you never have to use lol.

2 Likes

I know what you mean. But my experience with customer service was not because of quality issues. I had ordered specific light and they had run out of stock and upgraded me to next level up and still got my order to me in two days. I liken it to my experience with ILGM’s customer service, yeah there was a problem but I was dealt with fairly and with respect. That goes long way. Just one more question and I’ll let it go. You said yes,that you believe that they are using cheaper diodes, is there any way to tell if that’s the case. At this point I realize that it probably doesn’t matter but if that’s true I would just want to know. Also I appreciate you being patient and taking the time for my “insolence” LOL :laughing:

1 Like

These didn’t always read this way. Someone called them out and they changed wording around to say Samsung claims. Still, I’d rather know how their light performs so an apples to apples comparison can be made. They’ve been around plenty long enough, there’s a reason they don’t have it posted.

3 Likes

Good luck with that.

@dbrn32 @Bulldognuts Thank you both for the exact discussion I was wondering about. I’m not too worried about the $50 difference since I’m only buying one for my first grow. It may come down to availability as I can’t find the HLGs in stock (I’d like to get it fully assembled). I really appreciate the insight!

2 Likes

Ledlightdepot might have hlg in stock. I just got another from them last week. Oh that’s a .com and same price as hlg website or its ledgrowlights. Lmao I forget what the name.