First timer growing WWF

Because of so many going
I’m sure you’ll do fine with all the support you’ll find here

So on 11/19 this friday will be the 8th day the seeds have been planted… I have Fox Farm Happy Frog to plant them in And 5 gallon fabric pots… I’ve read different opinions of people putting them in smaller pots first, then later on moving them to bigger pots, and some just moved them to the 5 gallons first and left them alone and wanted your guys thoughts? Also with the light as it’s actual watts is 275 and I have two more in the boxes… when I transfer them after a week should I install the other two lights so I have all 3 of them up over the plants?

1 Like

@alexankh @Growcoast

1 Like

Plants need only a certain amount of light throughout there life cycles. For as the transplant you can go directly into its forever home. More transplants more stress in some growers opinion. I always free style my grows cause i get bored with one method. But theres a method to everyones madness and mine of course. Lights ill send a guru of lights to ya @dbrn32.

Putting them from pot to pot helps build root ball and after transplants you get a nice explosion of new growth quickly. If you go with multiple transplants. Happy growing @Sbryan1

3 Likes

One light probably good for now, but you’ll want more eventually. Just monitor how plants grow and adjust as necessary.

Potting up is usually preferred by experienced growers finishing in larger pots, but you can be plenty successful either way.

2 Likes

Day 5
How long should I be keeping the light on? And how high should the light be? It’s currently about 8" from the top of the black tray. And should I be doing anything different right now? Or just leave them be for a few more days?

@dbrn32 @alexankh @Growcoast

2 Likes

Run light for at least 18 hours. If you had plants grouped together you could probably raise light. It looks close, but you have plants bending and stretching in.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 so since the plants are leaning over a little bit that means I need to raise the light higher? How high from the top of the plants? I also placed a small fan on the side this morning as well

1 Like

If your light is too high or not powerful enough it will cause the stretching you see.

I would transplant them into a bigger pot and bury some of the stem

3 Likes

I would be transplanting within the next few days. Those trays are nice for starting a ton of seeds, but I found better success starting them in individual containers like solo cups.

Then you should be trying to follow a VPD chart for your temp and humidity. Read up on VPD to understand the table.

Then you should check out DLI
https://ilgmforum.com/t/start-using-dli/64987/13

1 Like

So today I’ve been trying to work on getting the RH and temperatures to stay perfect since I took my Humidity dome lid off this morning… at 11:05 Temp was 80° RH was 36% at 12:05 Temp was 80.4° RH was 34%. After I checked that I raised my light to 15 inches above the tray.(previouslyit was at 8 inches) at 1:05 the Temp was at 81.0° and RH is at 36%… now with that being said I’m not doing a grow tent.( when I was planning to do all this I didn’t think keeping temperature and humidity would be a big deal to control in a smaller room.) The room is all dry walled and have plastic covering the ceiling and one side wall because I made the area smaller. (8 1/2 ft by 13ft with 8ft ceiling) And I have a small humidifier right next to the plant tray that doesn’t seem to be helping much. If I put the dome back on the RH% will increase pretty quick but don’t want to leave it on because then the Temp will get to high… With all that being said do I need to box in the plant area to with plastic to help with the humidity issue or does anyone have any other suggestions?

I also have a thermostat heater that keeps the room at 70°

2 Likes

I believe the problem was your tray is physically larger than your light, and distance over tray caused the footprint from light to be too narrow. If you moved everything to the center of tray where greatest concentration of light is, I think it may have been a little close.

1 Like

The hardest part is waiting! Like I go and check on the plants every morning and it seems like not much is happening, and then worry a little bit thinking something is going wrong🙄

3 Likes

Lol there’s a lot of waiting in this game

2 Likes

Okay quick question!!

Today is Day 9 and I’m ready to transfer my seedlings into 5 gallon pots… I ran out of soil for the pots and can’t get more until Tuesday! Should I plant them anyway or wait till Tuesday to transfer them?!

@Mr_Wormwood @alexankh @AfgVet @dbrn32 @Growcoast

4 Likes

How many plants and how many pots did you fill before running out of soil?

I’d plant one to a pot for however many pots you have filled
Let the others chill under light until you get your soil

I would not plant multiple plants in single pots

When you plant the second batch(and maybe the first) I’d bury some of the stem so they not be too stretchy

5 Likes

concur with wormwood.

plant what you can and the others will be fine until tuesday.

2 Likes

Okay I have 10 pots and only 9 plants since one didn’t make it!.. and do I fill the pots all the way to the top?

1 Like

Just the way I do it……I leave a little space so I don’t have soil running over the sides when watering.

Keep some soil on hand for the grow in case you see compaction over the weeks.

You find what works for you and may the grow gods be with you.

4 Likes

So day 18 with 9 WWF there in 5 gallon grow bags and planted in Fox Farm Happy Frog… when should I be adding Nutrients and what kind do I need to add?

@JaneQP @alexankh @AfgVet @Mr_Wormwood @Growcoast @dbrn32

4 Likes