First Timer - First indoor grow. Please join my journey

Quick question, the super long ductwork, what are you trying to accomplish with it? Intake or Exhaust?

3 Likes

Welcome to the community, a great place to learn from a butt load of great experienced growers. You set up looks great for a 1st timer! well done on the research :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. There looking good.

2 Likes

My question as well. Really want to suck in air from the top of the tent (above the light) to exhaust - the whole hot air rises thing rather than from the bottom of the tent which is what looks like is going on unless you’re blowing air into the tent which would lead to more questions.

Your hanging fans setup is interesting, might try my way of hanging fans, much easier to adjust height as the plants grow by using rope ratchet hangers.

I remove the fan base and just attach one end of the ratchet hanger directly to the fan and hang it upside down

Other end of ratchet hanger attached to a top corner of tent

Fans are just hanging and easily moved up/down

19 Likes

looking good kidda

1 Like

Exactly, I agree with @Hellraiser

interestingly enough I put a topic together last night about this. If this is your first indoor grow the information I put together will definitely benefit you in the short and long run of your grow.

This is the topic. There are a couple other things I saw that you might want to consider, I noticed a lamp and printer near the tent. If they have power or are used these can affect your tents temperature.

6 Likes

It’s so long because I didn’t want to cut it yet. I am exhausting the inside of tent through filter to room. Am I doing it wrong.

If you’re wanting to exhaust the cooler air, no. Cold air is more dense so it will be lower to the ground of your tent. Hot air rises so you would want to have the filter higher up to remove warmer air.

You also want to make the duct line between the filer and in-line fan as short as possible with no bends. Carbon, charcoal, HEPA, and other small particle filters create an airflow resistance. So your in-line fan has to make up for this resistance based on the potentiometers position. The longer the duct between the filter and fan increase this resistance more especially if there is a bend. You’ll notice with a short duck between the two your fan will not have to work as hard to create the air exchange. This will also increase the life of your fan. I have a similar setup and I’m able to move enough air with my fan only running at 10% power.

Now you can exhaust into the room (not ideal) but just make sure your intake is on the opposite side. This will help reduce recycling air and recycling temperature.

3 Likes

You want the filter where your exhaust fan is, up high. I’d move the exhaust fan out of the tent and sit it on top of the tent (on a stiff board or tray or something) and use that duct hole on top to connect to the filter.

Like this, filter at top of tent above the light, exhaust fan on top of tent out of the way and not using up tent space.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for the information, that totally makes sense to me.I just got rope ratchets to lift it off the ground and will do it tonight. What I ultimately need is for no smell to leave the tent…wifey is still not happy I got the tent to begin with…
Will post new filter arrangement as soon as possible.

4 Likes

LMAO! You mean my bungee cords look janky as heck hahaha…they do. But I just got rope ratchets to fix that problem and put my filter up high as

3 Likes

If you’re wanting to reduce the smell see about being able to exhaust outside and maintain as much as you can airflow through the intakes at the bottom to have the air vacuum up through the tent.

Mine have sealed fans attached to them and I could still smell my girls when I got home today and they haven’t even switched to flower yet. But I’m also not running my in-line fan as high as I could go as I want there to be a stable supply of CO2 and O in the tent.

4 Likes

@PiratedSoldier @Hellraiser
So sorry for the late reply - family over for the holidays :smiley:
Thanks so much for the info and the link. See below for what I have done so far:

Printer is rarely used and lamp doesn’t belong there lol. But good point and I will keep such things in mind.
You guys rock.

4 Likes

So here are my ladies at day 18. The top portion of the soil is very dry but I’ve stuck a moisture meter in both to make sure there is moisture towards the bottom of fabric pots. To me the plants look really good even though they seem really short. Super dense though, nodes are pretty close together and the once skinny stems are strong and getting thick. One of the pics shows one of them.

I have yet to add any nutrient to this FFOF soil. I have received Robert’s nutrient packs and will be using those soon if needed. How do you guys measure out the stuff? I think the packaging gives g/L measurements. I will check out the QR code for more details I hope.

Here are the latest numbers from the tent environment:

• Humidity ranging 38 - 60 but lately on the low side so I have slowed down all the fans including inline fan.
  • Temperature ranging 75 - 83, but closer to 77 on average

Pics include a top view and side view of plants

2 Likes

I am clueless in judging when to water, but what helped me was weighing the pot before watering. I waited for the pot to be completely dry, i weighed the pot before watering so that i know how much a dry pot weighs and all you have to do is weigh the pot and see how much longer until the next watering. :slight_smile:

Don’t forget to account for the increase in plant weight, but that is negligible until you are going past mid flowering phase and even then its not that significant :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Nicholas!

Yes sir, I hear ya’ on the weight side. I didn’t actually weigh them but did take not of how much they weighed before and after. Next time I will weigh them for sure :grinning:

1 Like

I used this method for the entire grow and it worked like a charm, most of the growers go by the “feel”, but my feel is just not that good, so the scales were my best friend during the entire process :smiley:

Best of luck, you are going to enjoy it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its definitely something you pick up as you grow. I still worry at times, and when in doubt? I just go an extra day or two lol

2 Likes

FFOF won’t need any added nutes for 4-6 weeks from the time the plant was put into it.

Dry nutes are usually weighed on a digital scale, I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HGWFBTV

2 Likes

One thing others taught me is to weigh the pot and soil once you put the seed in. That’ll give you a good idea on weight pre-water. Try to do that as she grows as well.

4 Likes