First time using living soil. please let me know what else i need to do

Hi again…while my 2 4x4 tents are growing, I decided to try living soil.
I have 4 photo period seeds that just popped on 11/28. Panama Red, Super silver haze, Glue 75 and AK 47 in cups. Now covered with plastic except 1 that oops…fell. Transplanted in 7 gal fabric.
Now in second week of cooking is Sohum living soil with earth dust and worm castings. Keeping moist so wont die. Had fuzzie white mold on top whick i scrapped off, they realized, I THINK I should have mixed it in???
I also have filtered water will be using.
Should i ph water?
Am I doing anything right or wrong. Next step will transplant these when stronger.
Help needed. Thanks :blush: all.
@JaneQP @MeEasy

4 Likes

These are temporary in my 2x4 tent with 300w
Light about 10" away.

Looking good. I had white fuzz eat a seeding once.

I only pH water if I am using silica. Otherwise my living soil gets tap water. Ours is right at a 7 pH.

1 Like

The white fuzz is more than likely mycorrhiza. It’s a fungus that forms a symbiotic relationship with the plants. It’s a good thing to see. Leave it alone and don’t mess with it.

Shown, the symbiosis at work, helping to pull the helmet head off the seedling sprout.

7 Likes

From what ive researched the white stuff is a good sign that the soil is doing its thing so must be doing it right. :blush:

3 Likes

I agree leave all organic matter you might even get some mushrooms growing good thing also

4 Likes

Oh my. Thank you. Anything else i should get?
How often do i use earth dust and worm castings? Says i don’t need to ph. What about runoff? I guess may not have to do this either? How cool is this. I will update each week, I hope.
20221107_085941
26uf0GidrPIo7hppC

5 Likes

@beachglass hey hey I’m just started a living soil grow.I mixed up my soil with worm castings rock dust and perlite and a little bone meal.beans just popped yesterday.they hit the dirt tomorrow (sterile seed starting mix).
I’ll be following your adventure as this is my second indoor adventure.

2 Likes

@beachglass this is what I started with

2 Likes

ED is typically used in 3 feedings 1st when you originally mix the Base and soil and allow it to cook 2nd with Boost a week prior to flipping to flower than again roughly 20 to 30 days after flipping to fllower worm castings can also be used every couple weeks if youd like apply them by tossing a thing layer ontop of the soil and just water it in ypu can also make compost teas with the worm castings and also the amendments

2 Likes

Thanks @LiesGrows .I guess I better order the boost.

1 Like

Good luck to you, too!
giphy (1)

1 Like

Ohh no you only have the Base i ask because TGSSC went out of business and sold out of ED within 24hr of sending out the email stating they where going out of business :roll_eyes: :unamused:

2 Likes

You should look into Dolomite lime for a ph buffer. Supposedly takes care of the water ph for you and helps keep soil at a right level.

I’m testing this out right now in my synthetic grow, i have 2 plants around 5 weels old that i put 6 tbs of dolomite on as a top dress. My last few plants have been around the 4.7 ph runoff after about 6-7 weeks once i start watering to runoff, im hoping by getting ahead of it when i start to feed nutes and runoff in a few weeks i wanna see if it helps without having to flush. Seems promising.

2 Likes

Dolomite lime is also a natural source of calcium and magnesium.

@beachglass , where did you source your Panama red seeds from?

3 Likes

Hi there. I think Seed Pharm

1 Like

I know. I was crazy and ended up with 2 small cases of ED with 8 bags in each. I have plenty of that if anyone would like a trade off.

2 Likes

Wait so you a bunch but only ended up with the Base?? if i had more Boost id mail it to ya but i literally have only like a cup left lol im switching organic amendments sense TGSSC is no longer a thing

2 Likes

Yup. Just base. Went back on site and all gone. I must have been fast, which is NOT like me.

2 Likes

Dang i mean the base will be awesome for vwg but you will definitely need different amendments for flower ill be switching to roadsideorganics.myshopify dot you know what lol its almost the same thing as ED but better and cost less

2 Likes