First time stem splitting

Yeah I’m going to try it thanks I’ll send a pic

1 Like

No indoor plants

Sure @Pat2 no reason why it wouldnt work outdoors as well

1 Like

Im thinking im going to peel bark away on one this round (they claim thats what gave acupoco its gold color)

@pat2 it dont matter to the plant wether indoor or out as long as she thinks shes under attack and dying

1 Like

Could I drill through the plant, rather than using a knife… stalks are pretty large

THIS is what I’ve been trying to find time to research. The stems are so damn thick I think a drill is my only shot, but from what I understand you’re supposed to keep something in the split to separate both sides of the stem, right?

So in theory could you use a nice long drill bit, drill thru and leave the bit in the hole? Or does it not work like that?

1 Like

I think I will use a chisel, tap it through with a hammer gently, should provide a decent split, then splint it with a wedge

The drill bit method works awesome it is my preference

2 Likes

Really?!?! Sweet! Then I’m not too late to get creative with this harvest! Thank you!!!

1 Like

Instead of using a drill, or a chisel, I used a sturdy but small flat headed screwdriver, gripped the stem and push it through. Went quite well. That was Monday, today is Friday, so I’m going to brush up on my Harvest reading and will probably cut down my very first plant this evening when its time for Lights On (I will do the cut while the lights are still off though)…

1 Like

oh… I’m jumping the gun here… stalk has been split since Monday late evening, and I will not cut her down tonight, I will do 48 hrs of darkness prior to the cutting, so lights went off this morning at 7am, so Sunday morning I will chop down my first one… that will be a total of 6 days since spitting her, so I’ll monitor under a dim green light between now and then as 4 days have now passed since the split

@watters read this thread

1 Like

Can autos be stem split? Im nearing the end and would like to try this method on one of my girls, i like to experiment :blush:

1 Like

All over this and can’t wait to try it on one of mine :blush:

1 Like

Tbf I think any strain can be split but I’m not a pro and just a novice but I think you would get the same result dude just try it with one of your plants like I’m going to do I have two plants about to harvest and mine are also autos :wink:

2 Likes

I would have liked to split with a knife between zip ties but I wimped it and went for drilling, il try the cutting next time. Il be starting ice baths soon the 48hrs darkness.

iv got some sergers scalpels like the guy with the original pic on here so I
Going to do that :crossed_fingers:

I was thinking the same also, I have 1 WW and 1 AH both autos, I wanted to split the WW as she is lanky and has enough room for it but as they are finicky i was unsure about splitting! Whats the worst that could happen so close to harvest right?
I cant do the darkness period as i have a photo in the tent aswell and shes nowhere near done yet so stem splitting is the best i can do.

P.s Im a dudette :yum:

2 Likes

Sweet this is my very first grow and like you said what you got to lose at this point plus there are so meany people with positive results so we have nothing to lose really and makes total sense stressing the plant out.
And sorry about the dude bit lady :kissing_heart:

2 Likes